Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song of the Day (31 Songs inspired)

• 02-09-2004 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Just read Nick Hornby's 31 songs and while I'm not overly impressed by it (it was ok in parts), it sorta got me thinking about how music and songs influence my moods (or more often my moods strongly influence my music, although, this is true of almost everyone) and often strongly relate to memories I have.

So I'm going to try to pick a song for the day as often as I can, maybe it will be a song for the period, or song of the week, it depends on how my routine and access to boards is.

So basically this is a thread for anyone who wants to post a song that has meant something particular to them today, or that they've just remembered.
    For me, it won't be a song for the day ahead, but a song for the day that just passed or for a moment or feeling that recently struck. Hopefully Lucutus will sticky it.

I'm not going to post an essay here for each song, that'd be self indulgent and monopolising bandwidth in the forum, so I'll post the song and if anyone cares about the essay I'll link it to my journal where I'll write the meaning behind the song. Hopefully others will do the same :)

I don't expect everyone to like the same music I do, or even take the same meanings, but hopefully, if this works, we'll all get to hear some new tunes at the very least.

Todays song is 4.35am - Gemma Hayes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Todays song is Goldfinger by Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Todays song is Glory To The Brave by Hammerfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cilamc

Hello I'm new here (as you can probably tell from my ha-ha-hilarious profile info), hello to you all.

My song for today is "Something For The Girl With Everything" by Sparks. Now that is funny. They may be Hitler and his pretty-boy brother to some people, but I think they are one of the best pop groups ever. Their current album "Lil' Beethoven" is excellent too. "SFTGWE" is a rollicking pop song, over in 2 minutes. A glam rock stomp sped up until it snaps. Delerious vocals, a dizzying pace and a deserved hit for them in 1975. It's on their album "Propaganda".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

The last few weeks' song is Your song by Elton John. It was my cousins favourate song and he died just before chritmas. They played it at the funeral. If you don't usually listen to this kind of music(which I don't) I'd advise you to look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 magz

Listened to Hootie & the Blowfish 'Only Lonely' last night. The emotion....amaaaaaaaaazing track! Gets me every time.

'If we should ever cross the same place at the same time, would your world skip a beat 'cause it was me'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 samanthaj

There's a cover version out there of Hazel O' Connor's song 'Will You?' by H Pisces that really touches me at their website - is it me or am I getting prematurely sappy??!!! Samantha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MellonCollie

Here's a song I've been listening to a lot lately ...

Tonic - If you could only see
    "You give your love but you won't
    You're stretching out your arms to something that's just not there"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

kate bush - mother stands for comfort

good idea by the way any chance you could just delete this at the start of the week and start it off fresh again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

am listening to greenday, good riddance (time of your life) all the time... tis one of those songs that brings a lump to your throat, well mine anyway... and garth brooks, the dance. am in a sad song mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭acri

you should listen to I Am Fred Astaire by Taking Back Sunday. the vocals...oh the vocals....so deep and echoey...what a song

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nightwish - Ghost Love Score.

Just stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Oscar Hugo

Just stumbled across this thread and had to register to post this because the song is just so well written....It's "Your Body Is A Wonderland" by John Mayer. He wrote it about Jennifer Love Hewitt, it's probably more of a lust song than a love song but if you listen to it you can instantly hear just how mad about her he was at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Trent Steele

Bleeding Me by Metallica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

Sinead Oconner - Mandika, bloody classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

cilamc wrote:
    Hello I'm new here (as you can probably tell from my ha-ha-hilarious profile info), hello to you all.

My song for today is "Something For The Girl With Everything" by Sparks. Now that is funny. They may be Hitler and his pretty-boy brother to some people, but I think they are one of the best pop groups ever. Their current album "Lil' Beethoven" is excellent too. "SFTGWE" is a rollicking pop song, over in 2 minutes. A glam rock stomp sped up until it snaps. Delerious vocals, a dizzying pace and a deserved hit for them in 1975. It's on their album "Propaganda".

Wow, the Sparks - indeed they are great. Into electronic pop bands? check out www.concert-reviews.net where you can find most of the biggest electro artists like Depeche Mode, Erasure and other 80s stars from Paul Young to Duran Duran, A-ha to Kraftwerk ...

My song for today is: Royksopp - Only this moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

Bleeding Me by Metallica

Hell Yea! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Today's Song is:

Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah - Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

Leonard Cohen - Suzanne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 playtoh

Not sure if its the weather or the dark evenings but I keep playing New York from the Frank And Walters. Mellow and reassuringly reminiscent of a better time......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

"Mr Curiosity" - Jason Mraz

"Do You Dream of Me" - Michael W. Smith

"I'll Take My Chances on You" - The Click Five

"In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning" - Carly Simon

"He's Watching Over You" - Michelle Tumes

"In His Eyes" - Jekyll and Hyde