Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Company disclaimer

• 17-02-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

If Joe Soap receives a Letter from an Insurance Company as follows

Without admission of liability

I agree to accept from
    per Insurance Company, the sum of --- which I agree to accept in full discharge and satisfaction of all claims and demands whatever which I do have, or may have, upon the said
    In respect of, or consequent upon and accident causing personal injury and / or damage to my property on or about the -- January 212

Signed

Address

Witness

Date

Not only sign but have witnessed, is this set in stone or can Joe refuse and still be paid? This was very minor with only a wing mirror broken, and no question of injuries

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Charter. Do what your gut tells you to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I'd personly be worried that its taken over 1800 years to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Just Jack

Tom Young wrote: »
    Charter. Do what your gut tells you to do.
    Sorry I will be more careful about wording in future

This I do not understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Look at the date you put up - 212 its now 2012 thats 1800 years. It wasnt funny when I posted it - its less funny now I've explained it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you've been made an offer by the insurance company so you have two choices - accept or reject. If you accept then it's standard practice that you sign to accept 'in full and final settlement', that allows the insurance company to close the file.

They won't pay unless you sign the document, no matter how much they eventually offer you. If you reject the current offer then you have to hope that they will offer more or failing that, you'll have to take the other party to court in a civil action but if you do and even if you win, if you are awarded less than they had on the table before you took them to court, you will have to pay all of their legal costs to defend the case in court (because you rejected an offer greater than what you won in court) so you could end up being in the red.

Look at the date you put up - 212 its now 2012 thats 1800 years. It wasnt funny when I posted it - its less funny now I've explained it :P
    Yes I see it now,with your eye for detail I think you will do well in law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, you've been made an offer by the insurance company so you have two choices - accept or reject. If you accept then it's standard practice that you sign to accept 'in full and final settlement', that allows the insurance company to close the file.

They won't pay unless you sign the document, no matter how much they eventually offer you. If you reject the current offer then you have to hope that they will offer more or failing that, you'll have to take the other party to court in a civil action but if you do and even if you win, if you are awarded less than they had on the table before you took them to court, you will have to pay all of their legal costs to defend the case in court (because you rejected an offer greater than what you won in court) so you could end up being in the red.

I thought for the cost issue to arise the Insurance company would have to put a tender into court and costs are only an issue from the date of tender.

I thought for the cost issue to arise the Insurance company would have to put a tender into court and costs are only an issue from the date of tender.

Correct, as soon as the insurance company see that the plaintiff is going to court they would lodge the money being offered in court and then if the plaintiff is awarded the same or less he would be liable for the costs of the court case.

I did say 'you will have to pay all of their legal costs to defend the case in court' - I wasn't implying that all of the defendant's costs would be recoverable from the plaintiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Correct, as soon as the insurance company see that the plaintiff is going to court they would lodge the money being offered in court and then if the plaintiff is awarded the same or less he would be liable for the costs of the court case.

I did say 'you will have to pay all of their legal costs to defend the case in court' - I wasn't implying that all of the defendant's costs would be recoverable from the plaintiff.

In your typical PI action, the Defendant can only tender (or lodge) at the time of the delivery of a Defence or within a period of four months from the date of the Notice of Trial.

So, the Defendant cant tender as soon as the plaintiff goes to court - even if the plaintiff didnt beat the tender, they would have to take the hit in terms of the plaintiffs costs up until the point of the Defence, at the earliest.

• Advertisement

Joe has no problem accepting the full and final settlement bit. His problem is with the Without admission of liability.

Just Jack wrote: »
    Joe has no problem accepting the full and final settlement bit. His problem is with the Without admission of liability.

That's probably just a tactical manoeuvre to fend off a potential claim from another party arising out of the same incident e.g. 'you settled with Joe so you admit your customer was liable, therefore you have to pay me as well'.

Sign and take the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Just Jack wrote: »
    This I do not understand

Wouldn't blame you, it should be "personally" lol

Advertisement