Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nintendo Wii- US Console

• 03-11-2010 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I bought a Wii console in the US and I understood that it would work in Ireland with a plug adaptor however it doesn't work at all.
    I am thinking that the problem might be with the grey box which connects the plug to the console.

Can anyone advise me on what the issue might be and if the grey box is at fault then where I would get a new one?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

The US uses a 110V -120V supply at (I think) 60HZ and in Ireland it is 220V-240V with 50Hz. You will either need to get a step down transformer to convert Ireland's power supply to mimic the US or you buy an Irish Wii power supply (yes the grey box connected to the plug).

The second option is probably your safest option however you will need to check that the Output numbers on the Irish supply match the Output numbers on the US supply, they most likely will.

Also you will not be able to play games bought here on a US Wii without some hack (hard or soft), the console modding forum could be more use for questions on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Hi there, just came across this post so do not know if you got sorted yet, if not just email these guys; support@nintendoservicecentre.co.uk & ask them to send you a 'UK Power Supply Unit'(grey box) your Wii is ready to accept both 220/110 so it is literally just plug & play, new power cable replaces old one. As for the games, these will still have to be sourced in the states but no problem there, loads on ebay & cheap shipping to IRL. once you do some surfing...Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

I saw nintendo wii accessories in the games stores one of the was a power supply plug for nintendo wii

so you dont've to buy other nintendo wii you can buy power supply plug separately for about a tenner in most games store.

I have nintendo Wii myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ccswinston

Hi
    I bought a wii "Mario Kart" console and game from the USA. The advertisement stated that it was (PAL).
    When it arrived today, it turns out that the console is only for the USA.
    Is it possible to use it in Ireland and how would i go about it.
    I hope you can help, its for a young boy for Christmas.
    Also will i have to buy any accessories/games from the US to use in the console:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

ccswinston wrote: »
    Hi
    I bought a wii "Mario Kart" console and game from the USA. The advertisement stated that it was (PAL).
    When it arrived today, it turns out that the console is only for the USA.
    Is it possible to use it in Ireland and how would i go about it.
    I hope you can help, its for a young boy for Christmas.
    Also will i have to buy any accessories/games from the US to use in the console:)

See post 2. Controllers and accessories will work wherever they are from though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement