Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World War Three

• 26-05-2009 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

With the current economic climate and current political tensions escalating around the world are we on the brink of a massive war?

Israel-Iran

North Korea-South Korea

China-Taiwan

India-Pakistan

Lisbon Treaty- What does that mean for us? A possible creation of a European army?

The expansion of NATO to include Georgia

World wide recession

What do you guys think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Well first off the Lisbon Treaty isn't going to create a European army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

b12mearse wrote: »
    With the current economic climate and current political tensions escalating around the world are we on the brink of a massive war?

Israel-Iran

Why? now?
    North Korea-South Korea

Theres absolute no incentive for Sth Korea to start a war. North Korea is engaged in sabre rattling even it's closest ally China is annoyed.
    China-Taiwan

Taiwan won't win this war, how would this become WW3?
    India-Pakistan

I think the greatest fear is Pakistan coming under control of Muslim Extremists. India as a emerging economy is not about to start a war, and Pakistan isn't going to start a war when its trying to sort out their backyard.
    Lisbon Treaty- What does that mean for us? A possible creation of a European army?

Again if you study the treaty it specifically says this cannot happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

tis only a matter of time really mate.

The question is tho, which side do you want to be on, its not that cut and dry any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Lets hope and pray your wrong, cant say for certain if it will lead to WW3 but things would appear to be hotting up in the middle east & Korea.

Israel to ignite all out regional war?
    http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=95915&sectionid=351020202
    Half of Israelis back immediate strike on Iran
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090524/wl_mideast_afp/irannuclearpoliticsisraelus

North Korea threatens South with military action with “immediate effect”.
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23699772-details/article.do?ito=newsnow&

[font=&quot]http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/North-Korea-Warns-Of-Strike-On-South-Over-Its-Decision-To-Join-A-US-Led-Shipping-Search-Initiative/Article/200905415289598?f=rss[/font]

things are alway hottin up in the Middle East

its when things become eerily quiet that we should worry.

North Korea, now theres another story, I'm still unsure as to what we're supposed to make of them, on the one hand theres a Nuclear state hell bent on some agenda which I think most of us are missin.

and then on the other hand its a third world state where the bulk of the population live well below the poverty line in a state so oppressive even the most diehard stalinist would feel like they just werent playin on the same level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭cls

I think a UN - North korea war is inevitable. Not WW3 though.

what, another 'UN Police Action'?

start at the 33rd and work up?

ANY interaction by the UN would be catastrophic to the people of Northern Asia and I doubt that either the Chinese or Japanese would be fans of pokin Pynyong

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Nor, I imagine, would the South Koreans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

tis only a matter of time really mate.

The question is tho, which side do you want to be on, its not that cut and dry any more

Its like "don't push the big red button"

halfwit politician/army dude "push the red button"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

The question is tho, which side do you want to be on, its not that cut and dry any more"

Yeah put me on the team that isn't lead by a psychotic dictator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭ilivetolearn

Diogenes wrote: »
    Yeah put me on the team that isn't lead by a psychotic dictator.

I'm not familiar with this forums consensus on who the 'bad guys' are in relation WW3 (I'm sure it varies).

Were you referring to a specific team/country in the above comment or was that a generic statement?

what, another 'UN Police Action'?

start at the 33rd and work up?

ANY interaction by the UN would be catastrophic to the people of Northern Asia and I doubt that either the Chinese or Japanese would be fans of pokin Pynyong
    So what do you suggest? Let them build a nuclear bomb? Call it police action if you want, but its simply the world gettting together to stop a common foe. The Bush/blair era of solo runs will not be repeated this time around. North Korea do not have one friend on the planet. The Russians will be happy to sell them technology of course, but not back them up when it comes to war.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

cls wrote: »
    So what do you suggest? Let them build a nuclear bomb?
    Bit late for that, isn't it? They've already built a nuclear bomb.
    Call it police action if you want, but its simply the world gettting together to stop a common foe.
    That's one way of looking at it. Another way is that its the world getting together to ensure that NK launches a massive strike of conventional / chemical and perhaps nuclear weapons against the major cities of SK, such as Seoul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

The South Koreans don't seem to think there's anything to worry about.

This post from a thread over on military is quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

North Korea do not have one friend on the planet.

You do realise that North Korea are good friends with both Russia and China? Neither of these countries want a war. China is getting pretty ticked off with North Korea and all its pissing about, so we just have to hope that they will try and subdue the problem peacefully.
    The Russians will be happy to sell them technology of course.

Two questions, what technology and where is the basis for this?

Undergod wrote: »
    The South Koreans don't seem to think there's anything to worry about.

This post from a thread over on military is quite interesting.

Very interesting perspective on the North/South dichotomy.

(I can't believe the suicide due to a bribe. Bertie indeed)

bonkey wrote: »
    Bit late for that, isn't it? They've already built a nuclear bomb.
    I meant a nuclear armed missile. They haven't put the 2 together yet as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I'd say North Korea isn't too far from collapse when Kim Jong-il dies,especially considering the country is starving to death and disease ridden.

You do realise that North Korea are good friends with both Russia and China? Neither of these countries want a war. China is getting pretty ticked off with North Korea and all its pissing about, so we just have to hope that they will try and subdue the problem peacefully.

Two questions, what technology and where is the basis for this?
    Russia will always side with the underdog but will they pick sides when it comes to war? I don't think so. They like to think they still have some clout but they don't really.

It's well known that Russia are selling nuclear technology around the world. Do I have hard evidence? I don't think I'd be talking about it on an internet forum if I did.

Remember, Russia are worried about the US missile defence. The more bum chums they have with nuclear weapons the better.

I'd say North Korea isn't too far from collapse when Kim Jong-il dies,especially considering the country is starving to death and disease ridden.

Well he's been grooming his third son apparently to be the new leader, but I doubt the dynasty will continue anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The only real threat on the list is Nth Korea but given both Russia and China strongly condemn their current actions, there is no fear of them doing anything more than trying to look hard in public eye.

cls wrote: »
    Russia will always side with the underdog but will they pick sides when it comes to war? I don't think so. They like to think they still have some clout but they don't really.

It's well known that Russia are selling nuclear technology around the world. Do I have hard evidence? I don't think I'd be talking about it on an internet forum if I did.

Russia will not side with the underdog, jesus christ... You act like its some sort of movie. They'd side with no one in the war, maybe lean towards those who they have sympathy or see the best chance of getting something out of the war.

How is it well known if there is no evidence? What you are saying is that you know its true, despite there being no evidence, just things like hearsay and prejudice...

Russia will not side with the underdog, jesus christ... You act like its some sort of movie. They'd side with no one in the war, maybe lean towards those who they have sympathy or see the best chance of getting something out of the war.

How is it well known if there is no evidence? What you are saying is that you know its true, despite there being no evidence, just things like hearsay and prejudice...
    I'm sorry but I'm not an international spy. Do you seriously expect me to have evidence? Try google it you'll find some articles backing up my comment.

You act like its some sort of movie.
    ehhhh...take a look around you. We're talking about World War 3 on an internet conspiracy forum.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

things are alway hottin up in the Middle East

its when things become eerily quiet that we should worry.

North Korea, now theres another story, I'm still unsure as to what we're supposed to make of them, on the one hand theres a Nuclear state hell bent on some agenda which I think most of us are missin.

and then on the other hand its a third world state where the bulk of the population live well below the poverty line in a state so oppressive even the most diehard stalinist would feel like they just werent playin on the same level.

Its considered that Nth Koreas Kin-Jong-il is using the recent nuc tests to rally the support of the Nth Korean soliders to vote his son into power which might explain whats going on. I think to understand whats happening in Nth Korea its worth looking at the history of the country and the Juche ideology it follows

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

World war will only happen if china try to take Taiwan. The rest do not matter to the worlds major Superpowers

Fresh from the Alex Jones infowars press:

The Associated Press is reporting that North Korea is threatening to attack U.S. warships
    The Stalinist regime said it could no longer promise the safety of U.S. and South Korean warships and civilian vessels in the waters near the Korea’s western maritime border
    “Now that the South Korean puppets were so ridiculous as to join in the said racket and dare declare a war against compatriots,” North Korea is “compelled to take a decisive measure,” the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said in a statement carried by state media.
    The Stalinist regime said it could no longer promise the safety of U.S. and South Korean warships and civilian vessels in the waters near the Korea’s western maritime border, according to reports.
    North Korea has bolstered its live artillery fire exercises and fighter jet training near the western sea border with South Korea since it declared an “all-out confrontational posture” against the South in January. North Korea is said to have deployed thousands of weapons hidden in mountain caves and tunnels near the inter-Korean border. The artillery puts South Korea’s capital area within target range, according to The Korea Times.
    On May 25, North Korea conducted a nuclear test in violation of U.N. violation of Resolution 1718.
    On March 9, South Korea and the United States kicked off their annual joint military exercises on despite strong oppositions by North Korea. According to the Chosun Daily, 26,000 U.S. troops and over 50,000 South Korean troops will participate in the Key Resolve and Foal Eagle exercise all over South Korea, according to the Xinhua News Agency.
    It is unknown if the USS John C. Stennis aircraft carrier and a total of seven U.S. Aegis destroyers that participated in the joint exercise are still in the area.

What do you all make of this? Accurate or bollox?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

North Korea said today that it's canceling the 50 year old ceasefire with its neighbours.

Take your pick from this lot.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&ei=gNMdSuqjB8rAsgbR_LH3Cg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=north+korea+cease+fire&spell=1

edit: Today being Wednesday ... cos I'm still up.

Advertisement