Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Mobile Operator in Dublin

Options
  • 27-04-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi There,

I've just recently moved to Dublin from the US and I bought a Three 4G sim card, but the signal is horrible.
    Even being right now in the city working, I can only get 2 bars and only 3G signal.
    4G is like once in a while.

Would love to hear some suggestions about the best carriers around (in terms of coverage and quality of internet).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Been a tesco mobile customer for a couple of years now. Outside of some issues when the entire network died (apparently there was a leak right over one of the main network cabinets that fried the server stack) I've found them to be great, never have no signal, always decent network speed.
    They don't do 4G, but on the other hand €30 per month gets you 500txt and min and 15GB of data. Last I checked you can't beat that price in the country.
    www.tescomobile.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Been a tesco mobile customer for a couple of years now. Outside of some issues when the entire network died (apparently there was a leak right over one of the main network cabinets that fried the server stack) I've found them to be great, never have no signal, always decent network speed.
    They don't do 4G, but on the other hand €30 per month gets you 500txt and min and 15GB of data. Last I checked you can't beat that price in the country.
    www.tescomobile.ie

Tesco uses the network now owned by 3 so guessing that isn't going to improve things for them much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

jimmii wrote: »
    Tesco uses the network now owned by 3 so guessing that isn't going to improve things for them much!

The O2 network is owned by Three now but I imagine it will be years before they are the same network.

I live and work in the City Centre and have been using eMobile for the last couple of years when in Dublin the network is superb data speeds are always 25mb+ outside of Dublin the coverage is a bit iffy though in my experience. Their business deals are superb value not sure about the consumer ones think it depends on whether you are with Eircom or not.

psinno wrote: »
    The O2 network is owned by Three now but I imagine it will be years before they are the same network.

When they are combined you would certainly think it would improve things too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

well they do have minimum performance clauses built into the agreement so I'd not expect any issues there. It was one of the clauses put in the takeover deal by both the european and local regulators.

What I would say to the OP is have a read of the responses, pick a couple of likely networks and get yourself the cheapest pay as you go SIMs from them and try them out in your area.
    To be honest, between Vodafone and o2/3 networks in the greater Dublin area if you have signal trouble with them you'll have it with any network. In my experience the same cannot be said about Meteor/emobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gmogames

Yes,

I've been meaning to buy a few sims from the other operators and try it out. I'm living in Inchicore right now, and my building has no signal whatsoever on 3. But according to their coverage map, it is very well covered the whole area, but i can only get 1 bar IF I go outside.

The reason I chose 3 in the first place was because topping up €20 per month, I can have unlimited data, unlimited texts, unlimited minutes with other 3 users and unlimited weekend calls to any operator.
    Seems an awesome deal seeing I only call my wife (which has a 3 phone as well) and use the internet.

But from the messages I didn't get anyone saying that a specific operator is very good and works everywhere, all of them seems to have a problem or another, so the decision ends up being by which one do you prefer or what is the cheapest.

In the US I used to have TMobile, which gave me unlimited everything with LTE. Their coverage was not broad, but in Massachusetts it was fine, so i could use it everywhere.

But thanks for the input!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

It is a bit of a long shot but did you buy a new phone here or are you using a US device? Maybe all the Irish bands aren't supported.
    More likely you just have poor coverage but you never know.

psinno wrote: »
    It is a bit of a long shot but did you buy a new phone here or are you using a US device? Maybe all the Irish bands aren't supported.
    More likely you just have poor coverage but you never know.

Yeah, my phone is from the US and you are not the first person telling me that. I should probably do a little digging on that.

gmogames wrote: »
    Yeah, my phone is from the US and you are not the first person telling me that. I should probably do a little digging on that.

Find the version of the model you have and check on gsmarena or somewhere like that what bands the phone can use and then check it against the network. If you are able to get some 4G coverage then it seems that the phone must be capable though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

Vodafone is pretty good.

Apart from 4G/3G getting stuck sometimes (which might be actually my device issue) I've had no problems with it in various parts of Dublin and country.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

I'm with meteor , can't get a signal in my house in Clontarf .I actually have to go outside to make a phone call. I got no joy off reps on boards . I'm going back to three when my contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

http://www.48months.ie/ this is fine with me and cheap,

safetyboy wrote: »
    http://www.48months.ie/ this is fine with me and cheap,

Thats not going to work for OP as it uses the three network. Its good value though for sure.

Mr.S wrote: »
    It uses the old o2 network, now owned by Three. they are separate infrastructure for now, but owned by the same.

Is there anything they didn't get with the O2 deal!!
    It says that users get the exact same coverage as three customers which I guess is underselling it a bit being an ex-O2 three customers seems a lot better than being an existing three customers for the moment!

Is there anything they didn't get with the O2 deal!!
    It says that users get the exact same coverage as three customers which I guess is underselling it a bit being an ex-O2 three customers seems a lot better than being an existing three customers for the moment!

That is right. I have another phone with me using my US sim card and that one while roaming, is using O2 network.
    While I have both phones side by side, the O2 one gets a full bar, and the three one gets 2 or 3 bars max.
    Being that they "are using the same network" that's not very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

I'm in Clontarf also - really depends where ur located.

I ave an Apt block across from me but if I go to a window my signal is generally ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'm with Vodafone and get H+/4G almost all of the time.

More expensive than other providers but I've always had coverage when others on 3 or meteor haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

I'm in Clontarf also - really depends where ur located.

I ave an Apt block across from me but if I go to a window my signal is generally ok.

I was curious to whether it was just me . Meteor were not a bit interested in looking into it. The meteor boards reps had the cheek to tell me their engineers said I had a good quality signal where I live.

Advertisement