Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All GMIT accommodation related stuff thread

• 17-05-2009 10:45am

Because this topic seems to come up a lot, what are people's opinions of the accomodation in or around GMIT?

First off; I'll attempt to go through the student villages. If I miss anything, please let me know.

Glasan Student Village - It is quite literally a minute walk across the road. Facilities include: Laundrette, Restaurant (though I hear rumours that this is closing down?), shop.

Gleann Na Ri - A 5-10 minute walk to the front gate of Gleann Na Ri. Nice enough apartments. Facilities include: Laundrette, fast-food restaurant, shop, creche.

Cuirt Na Rasai - A 10-15 minute walk from GMIT. I'm not entirely sure what facilities there are. Hopefully someone will let me know.

If you do not wish to live in the Student Villages, there are many student-friendly houses in the vicinity. Ballybane, Lurgan Park, to name but a few. You can use www.daft.ie and the Galway Advertiser website, which gets updated every wednesday online I believe.

Any more enquiries can be asked here, or you should check out the Accomodation office in GMIT itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Thanks man always meant to do something like this but I am to lazy :D

• ARGINITE wrote: »
    Thanks man always meant to do something like this but I am to lazy :D

No worries, it kept me away from study so I was happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Glasan Student Village - It is quite literally a minute walk across the road. Facilities include: Laundrette, Restaurant (though I hear rumours that this is closing down?), shop.

BTW the restaurant is just getting renovated

With Glasan:
    Pro's:
    Its really close to GMIT (really handy)
    Good craic

Con's:
    Management will screw you on deposit,and bills etc.(There assholes)
    It's can get really loud
    Secuirty is a joke
    No washing machines/dryer's.
    The internet is ridiculously slow(Its like 56k,:pac:)

Cuirt Na Rasai - A 10-15 minute walk from GMIT. I'm not entirely sure what facilities there are. Hopefully someone will let me know.[/QUOTE]

Cuirt na Rasai: I lived here during the year and its a really great place,management are sound as,the apartments are a good size/comfortable
    The broadband goes down quite abit but its really fast otherwise (+5megs).

The only quarrel i'd have with Cuirt na Rasai is that it definately isnt 15 mins walk,its a solid 25mins,20mins if your an olympic walker,some people might contest this,but there blowing ****e, believe me I've been at it all year! :mad:

TL;DR Version: Glasan for closeness
    Cuirt na Rasai if you have a car!
    Lurgan Park/Belmont if your with friends!

Hope this helps! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 KeepOnPimpin'

when should i applie for a place in glasan... how fast does it fill up

• No harm in trying to apply now I suppose. Especially if you're trying to share an apartment with somebody

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭claireloopy

Hello well I got accepted into my course so I will be moving up there all the way from Wexford and I dont know one person up there.very exciting!
    So now I need to find somewhere to stay with other loners :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

so is it just 80 euro a week for a single room, and do you have to pay bills aswell or is that covered in the deposit???

• mink_man wrote: »
    so is it just 80 euro a week for a single room, and do you have to pay bills aswell or is that covered in the deposit???

I may be wrong, but I think you have to pay for ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭starman08

Hello well I got accepted into my course so I will be moving up there all the way from Wexford and I dont know one person up there.very exciting!
    So now I need to find somewhere to stay with other loners :)

i believe im in the same boat as you, was in college for four years in dkit but now finishing it in gmit ... in dkit i never lived in the student accomodation cause of all the rules and ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭paulhealy1991

in glasan is the internet blocked for websites like the pirate bay and are you able to download torrents at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

in glasan is the internet blocked for websites like the pirate bay and are you able to download torrents at all?

No torrents or anything,in fact you'll be lucky to load Google in under a minute its so slow at peak times (in other words its fuckin useless)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

The internet in glasan is awful. All sorts of firewalls and its as slow as a wet week.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

€80 a week.....I got a place in Bayview Rise for €60pw dbl room, only bill is esb and its nearer that glasan, the top of the carpark...woohoo

oh and mike, the reason its 60€ a week is cos its ballybane! rough place!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

The Student Union also have a list of private accomodation that is catered towards students
    http://www.gmitsu.ie/uploads/Private%20Accommodation%2009-10.pdf

This list gets updated once or twice a week and is quite useful.

Third-Level Accommodation forum on Boards.ie - link is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 galwayhalfpint

I'm hoping that someone can help me;
    living in rented accommodation and my washing maching has been broken for a months,it was replaced but that one didn't work either, so i've been ringing both landlord and the company who left the other washing machine...this company keeps promising to fix it every day but hasn't done so.. landlord has been calling too... ( so they say!)

could some one advise me as to who should be calling the company, and what should i do as it nearly two months?any other action i could take?

please any advise would be great!:)

If you go to the student union they should be able to give you advice, it's what they are their for.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

living in rented accommodation and my washing maching has been broken for a months,it was replaced but that one didn't work either, so i've been ringing both landlord and the company who left the other washing machine...this company keeps promising to fix it every day but hasn't done so.. landlord has been calling too... ( so they say!)

could some one advise me as to who should be calling the company, and what should i do as it nearly two months?any other action i could take?

AFAIK it should be the landlord who sorts this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Yep this is definitely the landlords problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Contact threshold in Galway for advice. Your landlord is pulling the p*** and needs a root up the h***. Threshold will inform you of your rights and how best to approach your landlord (i.e. nice big legal words to get him off his lazy a***)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

We have room for rent very close to gmit....in gleann rua estate single room, ntl, broadband....PM me for details

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jameslcmullally

I'd be happy to share an apartment with other loners:D, how much are we looking at per week:confused:
    This is directed at claireloopy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I'd be happy to share an apartment with other loners:D, how much are we looking at per week:confused:
    This is directed at claireloopy.

Aren't you a couple of months late with your response...

looks like it! ha

This thread is for accommodation and related topics.
    Keep it on topic or warning/bans will be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gnilhsa

renmore is a really handy place to live espically down ballyloughan road, down from dawn dairies! its 5-10 min walk. i lived ther this year had a brilliant house for 56 a week!! galway advertiser is a good start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 liv119

Hey, im startin in GMIT in CLuain Mhuire in september 10 and was wonder what the story is with accommodation? is there many students lookin for a place to live in with other gmit students thats near the cluain muire campus and where?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

You should try looking for a room in Wellpark or Tara Grove, they're right beside Cluain Mhuire. Check out the Galway advertiser accommodation pages...

• Advertisement

Where the fcuk is cluain mhuire? :confused:

Advertisement