Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltachts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Coláiste Chamuis is strict enough on Irish, and amazing craic. The course I went to every year starts today. Curse my too-oldedness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Coláiste Chamuis is strict enough on Irish, and amazing craic. The course I went to every year starts today. Curse my too-oldedness...

That depends a Liam, i dTúlach bhféidir ach i RAM Cúrsa C, bíonn siad an-díon ar ghach rud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lucy211

Do rathcairn run courses in August? For secondary/primary school teens/children?

That depends a Liam, i dTúlach bhféidir ach i RAM Cúrsa C, bíonn siad an-díon ar ghach rud.

Yes, because RAM has a psychopath for a Príomhoide. Stiofáin = absolute legend.

Yes, because RAM has a psychopath for a Príomhoide..

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yes, because RAM has a psychopath for a Príomhoide. Stiofáin = absolute legend.

Stiofain is still around? If that's the same guy, he was there in 1992 when I went there the first time. Great principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

if ur looking for a good gaeltacht dont go to colaiste phobail cleire cape clear

or

colaiste chirian in ceathru rua u'll learn very little there it was very disorganised !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Stilla Mellis

Why not go to Cape Clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

Muiriosa wrote: »
    In my opinion, Coláiste Chiarain in Cheathrú Rua in Galway is brilliant. I learned loads there and had a cracking time. It's a really good college with good facilities and beaches near by. You'll be guaranteed to have a good time there. There are another two colaistes in Cheathrú Rua but be sure to go to COLAISTE CHIARAIN - it's the best in the west!

Go n-eirí leat!

i went there a couple of years ago in 2nd year
    didnt really learn much to be honest but for craic it was the best 3 weeks of my life

Go to a spleodar camp,if you have any interest in irish, go and your confidence will be increased ten-fold. I wouldn't recommend any gaeltacht in Carraroe they aren't strict at all!!! Its serious craic ach in the end you go to learn irish. Spleodar all the way.

i would agree with 100% about carraroe(went to colaiste chirian)

do u go on any tour with colaiste chumuis??

does anyone have any information about colaiste comcille(i think thats how ya spell it):rolleyes::rolleyes:
    its in conamara somewhere but any info about it would be greatfull:P

• Advertisement

do u go on any tour with colaiste chumuis??

Just the one, they go to Spideal for a day and visit one of the other centres in Chamuis on the same day (there's 3 separate centres within the Coláiste).

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Lucy211 wrote: »
    Do rathcairn run courses in August? For secondary/primary school teens/children?

Yeah they do in the secondary school, there should be a few places left, i'd recommend rathcairn day camp for all primary students or 1st years

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭swatch

Colaiste Laichtin Naofa, Inis Oírr, Aran Islands!! The best irish college in the country! Went there in June and spoke Irish the whole time. Came out with such confidence in the language and had so much fun at the same time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

an tulach in inverin is deffo the best to go too,you're there to learn the language and be surrounded by the culture,no mobile phones,no english at all,really benefitted my irish and am so glad i was sent there twice,very proud of the level of irish i now have and its with me for life.
    not too far from galway city which is handy for parents visiting,rather than been in total isolation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lucy211

Do they have a website? Also is there any courses for leaving certs in august (aside from lurgan)

Coláiste Chamuis (Ros a Mhíl, An Tulach, and Camus) won't have any more courses this year after the current one, unfortunately.

Coláiste Chamuis (Ros a Mhíl, An Tulach, and Camus) won't have any more courses this year after the current one, unfortunately.

My brother got a brochure for next year at Cursa B. I think thats BS tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I went to Ranafast last year,like everyone else in Dundalk.
    (No,seriously. I met about 4 new people,80% of them were from Dundalk/other towns in Louth.)
    Wasn't great for the Irish really,in that I barely spoke any.
    Even the Bean an Tí only spoke English to us =/

"Even the Bean an Tí spoke only English to us." Only? No Irish at all?

That has to be a total waste of money. Your money. Or your parents' money.

Why did she take students hoping to learn and hear Irish so? Or was it the fault of the organisers of the course who just counted heads and didn't advise those providing accommodation of the purpose of your visit?

The more students the more money for them.

Could it be that most students don't care about learning the language and just go for the c***c?

Is it true that the Department of Education no longer pay a subsidy to these courses and presumably no longer inspect them thus leaving a vacuum? Who is responsible now?

The "market"?

"Even the Bean an Tí spoke only English to us." Only? No Irish at all?

That has to be a total waste of money. Your money. Or your parents' money.

Why did she take students hoping to learn and hear Irish so? Or was it the fault of the organisers of the course who just counted heads and didn't advise those providing accommodation of the purpose of your visit?

The more students the more money for them.

Could it be that most students don't care about learning the language and just go for the c***c?

Is it true that the Department of Education no longer pay a subsidy to these courses and presumably no longer inspect them thus leaving a vacuum? Who is responsible now?

The "market"?

wat gaeltacht was that????:mad::eek:

when did u find out about this????:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lazydog, the symbol with the + sign will allow you to multi-quote / reply to more than one post at a time, no need to do a separate post each time. Also, just a heads-up, txtspk isn't that welcome around Boards. :)

Colaiste Chamuis won't have any more courses THIS YEAR after the current one.

Sorry if I phrased that badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Dante

Yes, because RAM has a psychopath for a Príomhoide
    She prefers the term 'Nazi'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Go to a spleodar camp,if you have any interest in irish, go and your confidence will be increased ten-fold. I wouldn't recommend any gaeltacht in Carraroe they aren't strict at all!!! Its serious craic ach in the end you go to learn irish. Spleodar all the way.

Spleodar is really really strict, with constant supervision and very little free time, but it's also great craic and you learn so much Irish. If you're actually serious about seeing an improvement in your spoken Irish after spending so much money, I think it's the best one to go to.

As far as I remember though, if you're heard speaking just one sentence in English you're sent home, and they enforce that too - a few people were sent home each of the three years I went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 johnf1004

your payin 700-800 quid to learn irish...so theres no point in going somewhere thats not strict.....you are GUARANTEED to learn irish AND have the time of your life at spleodar...strict yes, but you make loooads of friends and you can keep in touch with them throughout the year with the stuff spleodar do like the reunion and the clubs and that....spleodar forever

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seacláid-te

johnf1004 wrote: »
    your payin 700-800 quid to learn irish...so theres no point in going somewhere thats not strict.....you are GUARANTEED to learn irish AND have the time of your life at spleodar...strict yes, but you make loooads of friends and you can keep in touch with them throughout the year with the stuff spleodar do like the reunion and the clubs and that....spleodar forever

very true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Spleodar is really really strict, with constant supervision and very little free time, but it's also great craic and you learn so much Irish. If you're actually serious about seeing an improvement in your spoken Irish after spending so much money, I think it's the best one to go to.

As far as I remember though, if you're heard speaking just one sentence in English you're sent home, and they enforce that too - a few people were sent home each of the three years I went there.

It's not quite one sentence but everything is noted down. EVERYTHING. The cinniri allow for slips and mistakes and ya know, talking in your sleep or whatever but if it's done on purpose you'll be in deep sh1t. :) I used to be a cinnire there and I loved it as a student!

Is SPLEODAR the new name for CUMANN NA bhFIANN? Where does it hold its courses? Ros Muc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

It holds courses in Ros Muc, Leitir Meallain, Leitir Mor, Corr Na Mona and Camus.

http://www.spleodar.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=38

That link shows the age ranges of the courses and the website itself is just www.spleodar.com.

Do you mean Colaiste na bhFiann? Cos if you do, no they're a separate college but also in Ros Muc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

Go to spleodar...believe me its unreal. 7 years ago i went to colaiste na bhfiann, hated it and had to be totally forced to return to any gaeltacht, then i went to spleodar and never looked back! its really strict on the irish but fair at the same town, if u genuinely have a slip in english u wont get sent home, its only if u consistently or intentionally speak in full sentences. U learn an unbelievable amount of irish, really learn to love the language and the craic is ninety!!

Advertisement