Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ridiculous lie to a guy I like? Help?

• 25-05-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I made a stupid mistake! I'm 18 and I am repeating 5th year as I missed the majority of the year due to an eating disorder. I am for some reason very embarrassed about being in 5th year. All my friends are in 6th year and whenever I tell somebody that I'm in 5th year they ask why and that is not something I am ready to discuss.

I met this guy who is older than me. We were texting and he asked if I was in college and I told him no I still have to do my leaving( technically not a lie). I didn't think I liked him at this stage so I didn't really care about telling an untruth anyway. He asked me out and I didn't want to go (because I couldn't really remember him and I was also nervous as he's only the second guy I've met since starting recovery.) but my friend convinced me. Turns out I had a great time, we spent 7 hours together, I actually like him! But on the way home he started asking about the leaving and everything. I panicked and just went along with the lie instead of confessing!

Now I realise this was so stupid. I could've just told him that I am actually repeating because I was ill and didn't want to talk about it. I feel so stupid and like I can never see him again.
    My only options are to either not tell him and just not see him anymore or to tell him and hope that he understands even though I feel like telling him will actually just result in me not seeing him again AND being totally humiliated!

Does anybody have advice on what I should do? Am I overreacting? I'm just furious at myself and at a total loss as to what I should do?:(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I honestly don't think it's gonna be half as big a deal to him as it is to you. You have all the baggage of people asking you all the time, your friends gone, being acutely aware of it. He doesn't. Tell him you were embarrassed you're repeating because you were ill, that will be that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

MOD: Hi OP, I've move your thread to Relationship Issues as I think it's more suited to there. Please take a note of the new charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

No need to be embarrassed op. Just tell him the truth, and if he's worth his salt he will understand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You haven't actually lied to him, based on your OP.

You haven't actually lied to him, based on your OP.

Well I assume he was asking her about her upcoming leaving cert and she was indulging him, so he may think she has exams coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 feamainn

anna080 wrote: »
    Well I assume he was asking her about her upcoming leaving cert and she was indulging him, so he may think she has exams coming up.

Yeah I was indulging him. He was just asking what I want to study and everything but then he asked how I did the mocks and I was like "pretty good". I hope that he will just laugh at me and still like me...

feamainn wrote: »
    Yeah I was indulging him. He was just asking what I want to study and everything but then he asked how I did the mocks and I was like "pretty good". I hope that he will just laugh at me and still like me...

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't still like you, provided your honest to him as soon as you can be. No need to keep it going any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I'd be truthful with him OP. Say you're sorry you weren't totally honest with him but that you were just so embarrassed about having to repeat due to your sickness. If he asks about why you were sick... I wouldn't go into too much detail of I'm honest. It's an early relationship and he doesn't need to know all the details until you are completely comfortable telling him.

Truth is that if everything goes well with this guy and you're still with him, he'll know either way that you lied. You're better off just coming clear now and getting it over and done with. Trust me. And congratulations for the battle you're going through. I've had people close to me who have gone through similar situations and I know how hard it can be. Stay brave. Stay strong.

Okay, I texted him telling him about being ill and having to repeat and I explained to him that it's not something I wanted to talk about, that I was nervous and thought irrationally. Only problem now is gathering the courage to look at his reply (if he replies)
    Thanks to everybody who replied!

• Advertisement

feamainn wrote: »
    Okay, I texted him telling him about being ill and having to repeat and I explained to him that it's not something I wanted to talk about, that I was nervous and thought irrationally. Only problem now is gathering the courage to look at his reply (if he replies)
    Thanks to everybody who replied!

Aghhh you totally should've done this face to face not by text!!!!

Either way best of luck!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Aghhh you totally should've done this face to face not by text!!!!

Either way best of luck!

She doesn't need to be told that. Text is easier. And better in many regards, especially with tough issues.

Anyway delighted you did it, OP. Do you feel better now? I'm sure he'll reply eventually. Deep breaths.

She doesn't need to be told that. Text is easier. And better in many regards, especially with tough issues.

Anyway delighted you did it, OP. Do you feel better now? I'm sure he'll reply eventually. Deep breaths.

Yea fair enough. Hope you feel better OP and it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

First world problems eh

Honestly I wouldn't care if I was the guy in question, at least it means you will have time to hang out this summer.

Just tell him the next time you see him in a cute way.

I would say something like

"BTW, I might have told you a little fib, I'm actually in 5th year, I was meant to be in 6th year this year but I was very sick last year so I chose to repeat. I don't know why I lied, but I think it's because I was a little nervous. But I do like you so I want to clear the air"

I 100% guarantee you he won't care, and it he does, he's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭identer

Call him up very early in the morning, tell him you have a confession. Make it sound like you couldnt sleep cos of it( am sure you get the picture) Posting in forum here means you really worried so why not add little seasoning. Most like it wont mean s**t to him. But just so it out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Nope texting him was exactly the right move. Im sure he being a relatively young guy wasn't into a big heart to heart with someone he'd had a couple of dates with anymore than you were. If he gets in touch again then let him lead anymore questions he has on it and if he doesn't bring it up, then just let it go and move on with having fun. If he doesn't get in touch again then don't overthink it, take it as a life lesson and don't bug yourself about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Umm, I don't think texting something like that is a good idea. I know it's hard to say these things face to face but I think texts are a terrible medium for this sort of thing. All this lad will have had to go on are the words that came in to his phone. He makes his decision based on that. If you had said it in person he'd have been able to hear your voice and see your facial expressions and judge for himself how sorry you were. You'd also have been able to have a conversation about it on the spot and hopefully convinced him that it was nothing but a silly half lie.

I texted him and he didn't even care. We hung out yesterday so it's all good...
    I feel dumb for being so worried :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

That's great news. Best of luck x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement