Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Unpopular opinions?

1. Parents don't really have that much of an effect on the personalities of their children (other than by providing the genes) If little Johnnie is a little sh1t, it's probably because he was born that way and than his environment encouraged that behaviour (his siblings, peers, school, neighbourhood etc have more of an impact than the way his parents raise him)
    (obviously extreme parental abuse is an exception as this can stunt development, and parents can enable the child to have access to opportunities to learn skills and develop talents, but personality is out of their control)

Unpopular opinion 2,
    Despite the media constantly telling us that the world is falling apart, we've never ever had it so good. 'Traditional' methods of doing almost everything are demonstrably worse than the ways they are done now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Football (soccer) is utterly sh*te and is as boring as watching paint dry.
    In relation to the above, crying like a little girl to get a free is not "part of the game".

Smoking should be banned outright.

Religion should be banned outright. (It is the root of all evil)

Capital punishment should be allowed for the most heinous crimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

People having a vastly over inflated sense of themselves and their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

IrishZeus wrote: »
    In relation to the above, crying like a little girl to get a free is not "part of the game".

Smoking should be banned outright.

Religion should be banned outright. (It is the root of all evil)

You should go and live in North Korea for a couple of months, then come back and tell us how wonderful it was.

My own:

Junkies should be sterilised. If they cant take care of themselves they should not be allowed to bring children into the world.

There should be no unmarried mothers allowance for the third child onwards. I used to live up the road from a woman who had 4 different kids from 4 different fathers. You're not unlucky, you're a sponging parasite. Dont have children if you cant afford to take care of them without relying on the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

Glen Whelan isnt a bad player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I like a lot if Irish hip hop.....not all of it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I am a fantastic lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Was chatting with paedobear last night, he is of the opinion that there should be no age of consent.

Dirty chap that paedobear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think each race have different traits, strengths and weaknesses!

Like for example sprinters arent suited to marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I think Ireland will get beatin' 5-0 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I hate Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jackass is shit after half an hour of it.

People are generally good.

I like Nationwide on RTE.
    Plus one on these. Nationwide while a bit twee is about the only mass media outlet in this country for arts and crafts for a start(no the internet doesn't count. Yet).
    BrensBenz wrote: »
    I have one or two opinions that, maybe, are not generally popular. However, you did ask!
    · Boybands (aerobic routines), girlbands (pole dancing routines), instant singers, reality TV “stars”, X-Factor and cookery show contestants should be rounded up and used as organ donors;
    · How now brown cow in a Norn Irn accent sounds idiotic;
    · And, while I’m in Norn Irn, those airheads who travel miles just to be offended by an orange or green march;
    · Multi-tasking is the performance of several low-level tasks.....BADLY;
    · Tattoos – real or fake – are tacky;
    · Noticeable fingernails and dyed hair are tacky;
    · Facial hardware and false eyelashes are.....guess what?
    · There was no football in Ireland until the British brought it over. Therefore, GAA football is not Irish...and it’s ugly;
    · Mandatory GAA football man-marking, i.e. fourteen co-joined couples, two gooseberry goalies and two small men in huge white coats leaning against the goal posts;
    · Mandatory GAA footballer hair-do – cheap gel, combed forward with that last minute flick up – is ugly;
    · Why don’t they either pull their socks up or wear ankle socks?
    · Why have they all got at least three names?
    · Mandatory Nor Irn Unionist hair-do – centre-parting with “almost” spikes – is ugly;
    · Jeremy Clarkson....and camogie – what the....?
    · Orange and / or green marches?
    · Journalists are paid muck-stirrers and we fall for it;
    · The English, Welsh and Australians should be taught how to pronounce the letter “R”;
    · Synchronised swimming is not a sport;
    · France is one of God’s few mistakes;
    · Heavy metal “songs”....in rhyming couplets? What the.....?
    · 4x4s.....and the Angelus? What the.....?
    · Undying loyalty to your county? They’re man-made lines in the bog, drawn by the British;
    · Automatic condemnation of politicians? Who voted for them?
    · Wasps? What the.....?
    · Culchie and Western music in ¾ time and that Cavan / Kansas accent? What the ....?
    · “Me faaahder vawted Feena Fawl so Oil vawt Feena Fawl”;
    · Posters – yes, I can see you – eager to take offence and retaliate.

Where’s my coat?
    Quality rant sir. :) Even if I'd disagree on a couple of points, especially about France.

Me? I believe some cultures are just better than others.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I am the only one on boards that knows what I am talking about :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

BrensBenz wrote: »
    There was no football in Ireland until the British brought it over. Therefore, GAA football is not Irish...and it’s ugly;

You're factually wrong about this. GAA and football probably pre-date any known British invasions. Soccer and GAA have the same progenitor dating back hundreds and hundreds of years long before any notions of statehood. look up shrovetide football.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh another one which usually gets people's hackles up... I don't think Ricky Gervais is funny. Well mildly amusing as a one trick wonder. Stop laughing at yourself you twat. Great idea mind, become your own audience providing a laugh track, like a deeply unfunny sitcom. Didn't like the office either. Then again I've never lived in cheap suit, must reach regional targets cubicle land so probably didn't get the in jokes. Thank fcuk.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

IMO sexism is widespread and insidious (and that's both sexism against men and sexism against women).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh another one which usually gets people's hackles up... I don't think Ricky Gervais is funny. Well mildly amusing as a one trick wonder. Stop laughing at yourself you twat. Great idea mind, become your own audience providing a laugh track, like a deeply unfunny sitcom. Didn't like the office either. Then again I've never lived in cheap suit, must reach regional targets cubicle land so probably didn't get the in jokes. Thank fcuk.

Yeah, and ardent Gervais fans will tell you that you "just don't get it" if you say you don't like some of his output.

Now I DO like some of his stuff, but not all of it, but I "get" it all.

And if his smug demeanour is just a persona, so what? Real or put on, it's just not funny!

and yet another one... :D I think there are more and more emotional handwringers coming along. The first world problem meme sums much of it up. The Oprah Winfrey/self help/I need to find and define myself generation. For whom Every. Fcuking. Thing. is a cause for a whinge and a whine. The tinnitus of our times. The chronically well looking for an excuse to feel special. Harden the fcuk up. Better yet grow the fcuk up. If you're like this at 18, grand, it's part of your adolescent job description, but if you're pulling this guff at 30+... No. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I prefer the American Office to the English Office. Far, far funnier.

Ricky Gervais can put a concept together but he is an odious cünt.

People who dislike sport are mentally ill.

Morbidly Obese people are mentally deficient. How can any normal thinking person allow themselves to balloon to such a size. People can be big and heavy and maybe out of shape but to be Morbidly Obese where it affects every aspect of your life is mental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Peep Show is more funny than In-Betweeners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The English Premier League is the male equivalent of the X Factor.

The same drivel EVERY year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

IrishZeus wrote: »

Like diving in football, get the fúck up and stop whinging you over paid pansy!

As for my opinions -

Lying, stealing, robbing, littering and generaly being a pain in the arse doesn't qualify you for ethnic minority status - you're just a shower of scumbags.

You get far too much in this country for sitting on your hole and doing nothing productive.

Elvis, far from being "the king" was actually woefully shíte

Feminism is largely just moaning - shut the fúck up and get on with things. There is no such thing as possitive descrimination, you can't have it both ways.

Drugs should be legaly available for any adult that wants them. If you run into problems with them it's your own fault, no one elses. They should NEVER be accepted as mitigating circumstances for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Peep Show is more funny than In-Betweeners

This is hardly an unpopular opinion.

I like The Inbetweeners but OBVIOUSLY, Peep Show is much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Golf is a sport!

I want Ireland to rejoin the Common Wealth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I judge people who wear Celtic jerseys.

Cheryl Cole is a chav with a pretty face but no charm or sex appeal.

There are no funny comediennes. Exactly zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ban buses, they cause more traffic jams on the roads than cars and are slower for the commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I like mustard, lots and lots of mustard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Soccer is shíte, unless it's Ireland playing a significant match.

Hurling is shíte, unless it's Waterford playing (and winning) a match.

Gaelic football is shíte, because Waterford is shíte at it.

Rugby is shíte, because their fans think that they are better than all of the above.

Ireland should setup the infrastructure to receive 100% of energy from renewable sources.

Religion should not be taught in school. That's what Church is for. It should be replaced with evolution.

All schools should be taken from the Catholic church and controlled by the state 100%.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement