Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking club Week 33: Tagliatelle Carbonara with Garlic Bread

• 15-08-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Decided to go with this after much deliberation. Was going to go for something complicated but thought it'd be better to go with something that I've been making for years and is really simple to make.
    It's actually one of the first dishes that got me into cooking.

I know it's not the authentic Italian version as it contains cream but it's the way I learned to make it and I love it this way.

I've also included a simple garlic bread recipe (and I mean simple) to go with it, which goes great with all Italian dishes.

Ingredients

Tagliatelle Pasta - 4 Twirls per person
    Streaky Bacon (you can you use any Smoked Bacon for this, I just go for your normal Smoked Streaky Bacon as it's easy to get) - 3 slices per person chopped
    Cream - 250ml
    Parmessan Cheese (Grated) - 1.5 tbsp
    1 Egg
    Garlic - 1 Clove Crushed
    Mushrooms - about 6 (you can leave this out if you wish)
    Olive Oil
    Butter
    Black Pepper

Garlic Bread
    1 Baguette (Ideally a day old as it's easier to cut)
    1 Clove of Garlic
    Olive Oil

Serves 2

001ingredients.jpg

Prep all the Ingredients....

Chop the bacon into small uniform pieces
    Chop the Mushrooms into small uniform pieces
    Grate Parmessan and add to a bowl with cream, raw egg and plenty of black pepper and give it a quick mix with a fork

002prep.jpg

In a large pan of boiling slated water get the pasta on the go.

Once the pasta is ready, drain and coat with a good glug of Olive Oil and leave aside.

004pasta.jpg

Heat some Olive Oil and Butter in a pan and add the Bacon. Before adding the Bacon I like to separate all the pieces as they tend to stick together in the pan and it's a pain to separate them when everything is cooking.

003baconprep.jpg

In another pan Heat some Oil and Butter and add the Mushrooms

005baconmushcook.jpg

Add the crushed Garlic into the Bacon halfway through cooking so as to give it enough time to cook but not too long to burn.
    Once the Bacon and Mushrooms are cooked, set aside on some kitchen paper on a plate to drain off any excess fat.

006baconmushcooked.jpg

I always set the Bacon aside and give the larger pan a quick wipe with some kitchen towel as it makes the dish less messy looking once the cream is added.

Now it's time to put the whole dish together.....

Put the cleaned pan back on a low heat and add the Bacon, Mushrooms and Pasta
    008finalcook.jpg

Then add the Cream/Raw Egg/Parmessan and Black Pepper mixture to the Pan.

009finalcook.jpg

Give it all a good mix...

010finalcook.jpg

...and set aside....

At this stage you need to get your Garlic Bread on.

Just place the sliced Baguette under the grille and toast on both sides, or you can just put them in the toaster, but that takes much longer.

Once toasted, give each slice a rub of some raw garlic (don't over do it, one or two rubs is enough) and drizzle with some olive oil.

007garlicbread.jpg

Now it's time to dish up....

011serve.jpg

...and most importantly.....Tuck in!!! :):pac::pac:

012eat.jpg

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

What a brilliant carbonara recipe, will def try it. One thing I don't understand though is why there's only one glass of wine between two people in the last photo :p it would be a bottle per person in my house:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Haha! Good spot. :D

I was drinking mine while the OH was taking the picture, but when uploading the picture I did say that it looked strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

BaZmO* wrote: »

I know it's not the authentic Italian version as it contains cream but it's the way I learned to make it and I love it this way.

There's no garlic, butter or mushrooms in the Italian version either, its just bacon, eggs, cheese, pasta and black pepper.

You're dish above looks gorgeous though, would mill it down in a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Well done, BaZmO! Great-sounding recipe and brilliant photos: the best-taken photos so far IMHO.

Your missus might be called up as official photographer if the "book" comes about. :pac:

I'll be making this later on in the week and will let you know how I got on.

duckworth wrote: »
    There's no garlic, butter or mushrooms in the Italian version either, its just bacon, eggs, cheese, pasta and black pepper.
    Yeah, the authentic version is very basic. I've seen it served with the raw egg still in the shell and it was up to the diner to mix it through the pasta at the table. Were the Boardsie's ready for that? :D
    duckworth wrote: »
    You're dish above looks gorgeous though, would mill it down in a second!
    Cheers. It's very moreish, a definite top button opener.

Well done, BaZmO! Great-sounding recipe and brilliant photos: the best-taken photos so far IMHO.

Your missus might be called up as official photographer if the "book" comes about. :pac:
    Thanks. She'll be chuffed with those comments, although she was working under strict guidance from myself of course. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Brilliant pictures.

Sets the bar high for future weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Going to make this tonight, just back from the supermarket and realised I forgot the cheese :o Off I go again....

I'm sure it will be worth it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Cool... I like the addition of the mushrooms.... I love them, but tend not to mix them with anything else as they taste so strong. And I like the fact that this is easy to make mid week!

Will post the pics when I get around to making it (although I usually wait until Little Alex has had a go first! Thanks Little Alex :D )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Awesome! I only ever attempted carbonara once before, and ended up with pasta with scrambled eggs :(. I'll definitely be trying this one asap!

I'm off to the shop for the ingredients now!

• Advertisement

That was delicious! I got so excited about it that I ate way earlier than I usually would. I had to seriously resist leaving it on the heat for ages when I added the egg and cream :o. Great recipe though, I will definitely be making this again!

phpZMhQpaPM.jpg

Looks great! Although, is that shop bought garlic bread? Tut tut! ;)

Yes :o. It was in the fridge!

*Lol* I was wondering the same!

Damn, due to boards cookery club, I think I am becoming a food snob:D

I meant to leave it out of the picture altogether! Feck you all anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Making this tonight, looks so yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

how long do you keep it on the heat after you add the cream egg and cheese? looks lovely btw

m.j.w wrote: »
    how long do you keep it on the heat after you add the cream egg and cheese? looks lovely btw
    Not long at all. I only really put the bacon and mushrooms back into a pan to get the heat back into them after they've been draining, same with the pasta.

The residual heat from the pan heats up the cream mixture without having to keep it on the hob. You don't want to leave it too long on the pan because it'll become too stodgy but you definitely want to make sure it's hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We had this tonight and it was lovely. Thanks BaZmO!

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7109
    Dinkie wrote: »
    (although I usually wait until Little Alex has had a go first! Thanks Little Alex :D )

:) Aw, thanks Dinkie! Let's see some photos from you too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Have been away so have loads of catching up to do - but this looks yum so might start here!

Photos are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

just had this tonight was lovely thanks Baz

just had this tonight was lovely thanks Baz
    Now there's a coincidence. I had your Goulash again last night. :)

Made this tonight and it was delicious!! Will definitely be doing this again. Many thanks Bazmo!! I left out the garlic bread (trying to be good) and used pasta shapes rather than tagliatelle as I didn't have any.

thurs25007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Think i have people for dinner this weekend....never made this before and worried about making pasta with scrambled eggs, is it a bad choice to pin my hopes on it with other people eating it.
    It looks fab and i love carbonara so making it soon anyway.

Made this tonight and it was delicious!! Will definitely be doing this again. Many thanks Bazmo!! I left out the garlic bread (trying to be good) and used pasta shapes rather than tagliatelle as I didn't have any.

thurs25007.jpg
    Looks great, although I've actually never made it with anything other than Tagliatelle, but have had it with Spaghetti in restaurants.
    Is that chives on it too?

kikililly wrote: »
    Think i have people for dinner this weekend....never made this before and worried about making pasta with scrambled eggs, is it a bad choice to pin my hopes on it with other people eating it.
    It looks fab and i love carbonara so making it soon anyway.
    I have been making this dish for nigh on 20 years (I feel old! Although, my excuse is I started young!) and never had the sauce turn into scrambled eggs. I think the quantity of cream makes it quite difficult for that to happen. If you follow my instructions you'll be fine.

Yup that's chives, they were on last legs so threw them in just so OH couldn't give out about wasting food lol! I also fried the mushrooms in the bacon fat for extra bacony flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

How does this dish store and if I microwave it will it have adverse effects?

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    How does this dish store and if I microwave it will it have adverse effects?
    Dunno. There's never been any left over to find out! :pac:

It should be fine microwaved... just sprinkle a couple drops of water on it first (it softens up the pasta somehow).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Question: I went to the shops last night to get everything for this meal and forgot the Parmesan. Would it be severely lacking if I left it out? I don't want to go to the shops again, lazy mare that I am!

Advertisement