Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Struggling

Options
  • 22-05-2015 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

So, I finished a relationship/friendship with someone ive known for the past 20 years. He didn't want it to stop but I knew I had to.

Ive been trying to remove myself from the situation since last October, and 3 weeks ago he told me he finally got the message. I haven't heard from him since.I tried to stop it lots of times before but I would always go back and end up upset and confused.

While im glad it has stopped I miss him. I miss the chats and contact.

Im struggling to not contact him again as I know ill end up back to square one down the line. Just feeling blue today.

Anyone any advice on how I can get through this phase, I know its not going to happen overnight, but im having a really tough time at the minute.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You've got this far
    Congratulations
    Remember this is a success not a failure
    The only advice I can give you is to make new friends,not romantically just socially
    Consider it a project
    Dive into work too or set yourself goals to achieve in certain things to keep yourself busy
    It ain't easy what you are going through and you are in good company to be honest
    Believe it when I say,you are probably doing better than some in the same boat
    Bookmark this thread and don't be shy about popping in with how you're getting on,you'll be helping others by doing that which is good
    Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

20 years is quite a habit to break, isn't it? All I can suggest is that you keep busy and organize things for the evenings so that you're not sitting at home with time on your hands. Don't drink too much and try not to drink at home alone. If you've got a smartphone it's possible to block phone numbers and I'm sure if there isn't a setting in that, there's an app to stop you dialing certain numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Homebird50

Thanks very much for your replies, great to get someone elses opinion.

Ive blocked him everywhere I can online and email and i know theres no chance of him showing up in social circles.

I need to find a new way to live and im taking it one day at a time.

Thanks again x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Op you only need to get through one day at a time. He is a habit but a habit that was ultimately bad for you. Stay busy - go to the cinema, rent movies, bake cakes etc etc It will get better and you've made the best decision for you.

So another few days gone. That's the way I'm getting through

I go from a state of relief and feeling happy, to whinging within a space of a few minutes. So weird

Anyway, Onwards !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭identer

Normally if you are a guy and into flings and one night stands. The best solution is to have lot of casual sex and make lot of friends.
    Another option if you are not the people kinda person is a longdistance online dating. Sexting is with a pro could be awesome!!

I was doing ok. Now I feel I've a huge sadness/unhappiness hanging over me. Was hoping to start feeling a bit more normal by now

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DaDoRonRonRon

It's perfectly normal to have a few setbacks. You'll have days where you feel like you've gone back to square one but these will pass just as quickly as they came. You are making steady progress through this and I promise you it will end.

Just an update and then I'll be gone

I seem to have turned a corner since the weekend and feel so much better

I believe he has been trying to contact me, and I realised I was too busy living my life to care

Thanks everyone for the words of support. It really helped x

Advertisement