Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working with an 'ex'

• 21-05-2015 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had a brief 4 month 'relationship' with a client that the company I'm employed by does work for. Went out a couple of times, he stayed over in mine 4 times. Would text and call numerous times everyday, very involved in each others day to day lives. From the start I had made it clear I didn't want it to be a casual sex only thing, which he told me it wasn't. We are both very busy with work atm, and getting a chance to meet up or go out was difficult but we were managing it, and he was talking, as I was, about how we would make up for it when things quitened down.
    Out of nowhere he texted to call it off, saying he wasn't feeling himself, he had a lot on his plate, didnt want commitment, wanted his own space. It was a very blunt message. Now in fairness, I like my own space too, and the level of texting/calling was getting a bit too much for me as well. I cant understand the complete 360, but I am aware it does happen and no one knows whats going through another persons mind. I told him that was ok, we could take a break whatever, that I was there if he needed to talk etc. And he never responded. I'm considered a very good natured person by most people, and I find it hard to walk away from someone I care about when they are suffering in some way, which he clearly is.
    However, the manner in which he called it off hurt me. It made me feel used, and worthless if Im honest. I'm not someone he met briefly online or out, who he'd never see again. He knew that he would have to deal with me on a work basis.
    This is my problem.... I've had to deal with him professionally three times already in the past week and a half since he called it off, and while I'm very proud of the fact I haven't had any sort of meltdown in front of him, remained calm and professional, and got on with my job, I'm not sure how I can keep this up. Its like dealing with a complete stranger, not someone who rang me up to 3-4 times a day up until two weeks ago.He is very cold, distant and makes me feel terrible. I realise that the problem is with me really, if I wasnt so sensitive I could rise above it. I'm not annoyed or angry about the thing ending, it always had an expiry date, more the way it was done, but how to get past this and get on with working together? Theres no way out of meeting him through work, unless I tell my boss the scenario which would be incredibly awkward and unneccessary because the situation cant be avoided all the time.
    Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Text dump was a scummy thing to do, but was always on the cards so just have to let it go.

Time will heal it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Do not tell your boss. A lot of compsnys would seriously frown on a staff member dating a client and it could impact on your career path.

If you can't handle it you'll have to move job. He didn't treat you particularly well so it should make it easier to get over him. Can you take holidays for a couple of weeks to get away from the situation? Don't contact him at all as he doesn't deserve the ego boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭IlmoNT4

No Op, Do not tell your boss anything....

OP, lucky for you, you dodged a bullet. He dumped you by text....and now look at his behavior towards you. He doesnt give a figs about you. Hes showing you who he really is.... Tough and horrible lesson for you :(

If you can, get on with your work and get though this. Give yourself some time, talk to friends, go out with them. You sound like a nice person and I think in a month this will be in the past for you. Take a deep breath, whats important now, is your job and maintaining a professional standard. Dont tell anyone in work what happened.

I dated someone from work many many years ago and my rule these days is no dating people from work, especially clients. Its worked well for me.

Advertisement