Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary I whinge thread

• 09-03-2012 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Ok, didn't really want to be the first one on the lovely new forum to have a moan but I feel that I must!

1. What is the story with the geography students sitting at the computers and colouring in their maps? I passed 9 students in the computer rooms on Wednesday all logged out of the computers but sitting there taking up space (and leaving me wondering if I should ask if they're staying or what. But I'm a shy old girl so I just kept going, mumbling about crayons and maps) Surely you have to jog on when you've done whatever you're there to do? I was well miffed. :rolleyes:

2. The NOISE in the library is a joke. I know I'm not the only one who thinks it. Propper full on conversations about nights out/plans for the weekend/new shoes is really starting to bug the hell outta me. :mad:

I fair hope that I'm not the only one to have a whinge or else I'll look like a right moaning Mary! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Now that you've got the ball rolling we might turn this into the bitch thread. :P

Please keep things civil guys, no personal jabs and read the charter if unsure.

As for the colouring in. I noticed that too.
    Seeing as I was one! :P sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

As for the colouring in. I noticed that too. Seeing as I was one! :P sorry!

:eek: Get out! And leave your Mod badge on my desk. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭alwayswright

Seeing as I'm currently in the library I thought it was fitting to rant about the lack of sockets in the place, it gets on my nerves anytime I'm here. The place isn't even half full and practically every socket is occupied. :rolleyes:

The library is a joke. It should have been knocked/done up during the boom years when the Tara Building (don't get me started on all the wasted opportunities here) was being planned/built.

Seeing as I'm currently in the library I thought it was fitting to rant about the lack of sockets in the place, it gets on my nerves anytime I'm here. The place isn't even half full and practically every socket is occupied. :rolleyes:

This. This, +100!

• Advertisement

I've been in the library doing work for the past few days now and it can be quite grating at times. There is still a lot of people having full blown conversations with their friends. That's kinda unstoppable though.
    Its nice to know that there is plans for an updated library but it will probably be a few years before this comes into fruition.

Lecturer/Staff member beat me to a car space in the free student car space this morning. FML! :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Why is it since the 'free' car park doubled (almost) in size its harder to get a parking space?? You've no chance unless you are in by 8.45am unless its Friday of course:D

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Why is it since the 'free' car park doubled (almost) in size its harder to get a parking space?? You've no chance unless you are in by 8.45am unless its Friday of course:D

I think since it doubled in size more people drive as they feel they are more likely to get a place which is actually quite the opposite! :P

Plus, I've seen everything from range rovers to mercedes parked in the free student car park! :P I'd like to know a student who can afford that. :P

What is the story with upkeep on the wodden parts of the TARA building. Some places are green with discolouration which is quite sad, it looked quite lovely when it first opened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

What is the story with upkeep on the wodden parts of the TARA building. Some places are green with discolouration which is quite sad, it looked quite lovely when it first opened.

They probably want it to look more like the living roof, over by the old siopa/SU office.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

They've added trellises to the living roof Onion- have you seen those? They mask the effect of the ivy and living moss a bit.

Re the wooden parts of Tara, I can only presume they'll require a lot of money for upkeep so that the theatre doesn't end up with holes in its walls.

So the LAN has been down for a day and a half now and there's still no word from the college on when it'll be functioning again.
    I hope they realise that 2nd years have 6 assignments due this week with critical notes up there. We surely qualifiy for some form of extension at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

So the LAN has been down for a day and a half now and there's still no word from the college on when it'll be functioning again.
    I hope they realise that 2nd years have 6 assignments due this week with critical notes up there. We surely qualifiy for some form of extension at this stage

Ha! The eternal optimism of a Mary I student. . .
    Though to be fair, I know one of the 3rd year electives have been given an extra few days for an essay because of it. Think it depends on each individual lecturer.

SOCKETS!!!!!! GIVE ME SOCKETS!!!!!! I neeeeeed to plug in my laptop!!!!

SOCKETS!!!!!! GIVE ME SOCKETS!!!!!! I neeeeeed to plug in my laptop!!!!

Give me a new library! Everytime I go to UL I die a little inside at how much better theirs is.

Requested to stay in Limerick for Infant TP in May, for some reason the TP Department decided it'd be grand if they just sent me to a school at home instead.
    Its funny that I get a home placement when I didn't ask for it and a load of other people get Limerick placements when they ask for home
    Not meaning to rant or anything, just a small annoyance.

On another note, its nice to see that all the computers in my room for today's maths exam crashed during the exam.
    Great preperation there Mary I. As if an exam wasn't stressful enough already, we had to stop our work and relocate to a different room. Total farce

On another note, its nice to see that all the computers in my room for today's maths exam crashed during the exam.
    Great preperation there Mary I. As if an exam wasn't stressful enough already, we had to stop our work and relocate to a different room. Total farce

:eek: Sickener.... :mad:

Requested to stay in Limerick for Infant TP in May, for some reason the TP Department decided it'd be grand if they just sent me to a school at home instead.
    Its funny that I get a home placement when I didn't ask for it and a load of other people get Limerick placements when they ask for home
    Not meaning to rant or anything, just a small annoyance.

Was that T3.04?
    Room is a nuisance when more than around 10 people seem to use it.

Was that T3.04?
    Room is a nuisance when more than around 10 people seem to use it.

Nope, it was T.302.I ts funny that you mention that because half of us were moved to T3.04 which meant that every computer was being used in there for the exam. Absolutely no hitches in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Smic16

As an MA student the postgrad reading room in summerville is the only space we really have but since the grad dip has started in January its more like a common room. They are all arriving in for huge group chats and laughs and making it impossible for MA students to focus on real work....they have absolutely no respect for the other people in the room and use it the same way the canteen is used!...no where to complain about it and to be honest nobody really cares about the MA's which there is a substantial number of....grad dips should have there own space altogether and leave us have the small bit of space we have been granted to work.

Is that reading room not a silence zone or some such?

Its S106 the room which holds the computers for taught postgrads....The level of noise in there is gone beyond people chatting to a group gathering....If heard Fennesseys quieter at times!....Its not the place for grad dips to be holding group gatherings and discussions in groups of 5 or six about exams or nights out!....:mad:

And is it only grad dips that talk? TBH I'm surprised, the grad dips are usually fairly mature and conscientious. Ye'll have to get some vuvuzela posters like they have in the library :pac:

Yeah its all grad dips.....I know that for def!....they outnumber us really as there might only be a handful of us in there and there is normally a dozen if not more of them in there!....I really think although they are postgrads they should be kept seperate from the other taught postgrads!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

I've just started the Grad Dip in Feb and I think its a bit unfair to tar all of us with the same brush. I appreciate the noise levels have been crazy in there at times and have certainly gotten on my nerves too. However, while we have had our occasional chats and laughs, its not the new intake making the majority of the noise, its the previous year. Should add though its not all of them either, just a handful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 splk87

I think you will find that the sign on the door of S103 says COMPUTER/READING ROOM. There are no silence signs up anywhere. This is a computer room for post grads separate from the main ones in the the foundation building. Are you telling me that there is complete silence in the main computer rooms??? I don't think so. There is constant noise there.

I suggest if you are looking for a silent place to study you go to the S106 in summerville which is the READING ROOM.

Welcome to all our new whingers :P. It's great to see new posters.

Just remember to keep it civil!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

Cheers Dambarude, will do :D

• Advertisement

No tarring them all with the same brush but the handful that are just wild in there are very frustrating...Ive no problem with the grad-dips using it but on large they outnumber the rest of us so it is hard to get our point across without looking like the worst bunch of complainers!
    As for the other reading room it only fills about 7 comfortably and as you can imagine at this time of year it is very busy so there was no room there for the past few days meaning the only option was the computer room. I have a chat in there myself too but really the noise that was being caused there last week was beyond a chat...practically shouting in groups....right rant over...just try and be considerate for others in there thats all!

Advertisement