Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Could any one give me one of their personal intrusive thoughts to see if I can anyway relate? I can't stop it i'm getting sucked in and getting agitated.

I was talking to a friend today and was wondering had they tidied up their private parts I mean that's f#@ked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

feelin a bit better last day or two and headin out, crash will come but until then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Intrusive thoughts are never nice, no matter what they are.

Mind yourself there Jimmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Someone was talking on here a while ago about relationships. Im wondering if any posters here are in long term relationships and if so how do you and your OH cope when you're mental illness rears its head and you feel most vunerable?
    I seem to have built up a wall so high that I don't think anyone will be able to get through. The fear of rejection being hurt( again) and not being worthy of a loving man frightens me.
    I know im not capable of a full on relationship at the moment and being single is not the worst thing but what about in a few years time? What if I never get to experience being a mother? Always to be alone...
    Sorry im just raving on. Maybe should bring this to therapy on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

pinkstars wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend today and was wondering had they tidied up their private parts I mean that's f#@ked up.

Sexual intrusive thoughts are not uncommon. I don't get them that often but if I'm in a crowded room I get ones about people. It's hard to explain but I think 'God I'd hate if someone could read my mind' and then I'll get sexual intrusive thoughts about someone in the room and get anxious someone really can read minds and think I'm sick or messed up. It's hard to explain and I know it sounds weird but like I know people can't read minds but my anxieties say 'What if they can?' That particular one I think is linked to my compulsions but like I said a lot of things can cause them.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Hi handbagmaid,

I'm not a regular on this thread so I'm not sure if you suffer from depression or anxiety. I have problems with anxiety and have been in a serious relationship for 5 years. I have been having a hard time with my anxiety for 1.5 years of that time and was in counselling on and off for a year.

I have been really lucky with how understanding and kind my OH has been. I can't imagine how hard it has been for him sometimes but he has never made me feel like a burden.

I was having trouble for awhile before I admitted it him and he encouraged me to see someone. It was such a relief to have told him. I try to be honest with him about how I'm feeling if there's something worrying me. It took awhile for me to be completely comfortable doing that but he has always been a great listener and helped me have some perspective.

All I can say is that I hope you find the person too who will listen, understand and take care of you.

CBFi

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Have to say I felt a lot of relief when some of you mentioned intrusive thoughts.. It's probably the most difficult thing, personally, to talk about or admit to.. When it happens I find myself wanting to check around me to see if someone can actually 'hear' my thoughts.. It's both stressful and frightening, the fact that there's no telling when one will pop into my brain is very unsettling to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I had a horrible experience around 5am this morning where I had what felt like an intrusive thought, an auditory hallucination and the tale end of a dream all rolled into one. It just kept 'playing' over and over in my head until I listened to music to drown it out. Also I know playing music to drown out a sound not actually there shouldn't make any sense but I have exploding head syndrome (yes it's really called that) and listening to music on my ipod always somehow silences the hallucinations. It doesn't affect me much these days but I used to have auditory hallucinations every night as a teenager (possibly because I never got enough sleep).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Its been one hit after another, after another the past 2 weeks. I have a counselling session later, i actually need it before i explode.

• Advertisement

Are intrusive thoughts a thought that you may scream or do something inappropriate?

Absolutely FML! Really....
    Don't know what im going to do

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

pinkstars wrote: »
    Are intrusive thoughts a thought that you may scream or do something inappropriate?

At the moment I'm relatively under control but have cursed out lot and made faces in reaction to what I'm thinking - I'd say it looks closer to a tic than an expression tbh.

handbagmad wrote: »
    Absolutely FML! Really....
    Don't know what im going to do

So that is what I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Someone was talking on here a while ago about relationships. Im wondering if any posters here are in long term relationships and if so how do you and your OH cope when you're mental illness rears its head and you feel most vunerable?
    I seem to have built up a wall so high that I don't think anyone will be able to get through. The fear of rejection being hurt( again) and not being worthy of a loving man frightens me.
    I know im not capable of a full on relationship at the moment and being single is not the worst thing but what about in a few years time? What if I never get to experience being a mother? Always to be alone...
    Sorry im just raving on. Maybe should bring this to therapy on Friday.

I can only speak from my experience, but thus far I can say that a lot of of what you have written I could of wrote at some time in my life. I speak about my experiences because I don't know what your life is like or how you think, but I hope that you can relate to some of what I say and that some of it helps you in some way . .

I had built up "protection" barriers that I thought would prevent me from getting hurt, when in truth they were preventing me from living in the now. What happens tomorrow is not something I can completely effect, but I can do something about today, about right now . . Staying in the now has been something I only recently appreciate and see in myself. Being able to enjoy moments with my children. I have plenty of worries, but rather then allow them to consume me, I try to portion out time for different things in my life.

Its not easy to do and takes a lot of practise. I am 2 years into my CBT training and it makes more sense to me now why its taking so long for me to see the benefits. A lifetime of bad habits (my thinking) were always going to take time to address. I used to get disappointed if I didn't get instant results, but now I judge myself on progress, not where I think I want to be.

I am married and have been with the same woman for over 14 years which is just under half my life. She has been very understanding and supportive, but to be honest with or without a partner I feel my rehabilitation was always going to be tough. The grass always looks better on the other side but there are downsides/upsides to trying to get well with/without a partner.

Sure its nice to have support from a partner, but its not always easy on them and it puts a lot of pressure on a relationship. This can have a double negative effect when my partner is feeling low and I feel low because there's nobody to raise the mood. I also know that my poor moods can "infect" my partner with her moods/happiness being negatively impacted.

There is also a different pressure with a relationship. When I felt down I didn't want to be around anybody and I certainly didn't want to drag my wife down, but this created problems because I just would switch off and say nothing . . For days . . sometimes for weeks . . ]

I used to fear a lot of things, still do and still get anxious about ridiculous things. But I no longer allow my thoughts to completely control my life. My fear of rejection closed me off from possibilities in my life that I never allowed an opportunity to grow. One thing I have learned from CBT is that I cannot control every aspect of my life. In the case of relationships, I cannot control if my wife cannot deal with my depression. In the case of work, I cannot control if things go against me and I fail to make a success of my business. But what I can do is work on and control how I react to these situations as they arise.

I used to fantasise and play out things/incidents in my head that either happened or that I thought would happen. I got to the stage where I couldn't wait to be retired with grandkids so I could skip all the hassle getting there! In short, I lived a lot of my life in my head. The world is a much scarier place that simply cannot be controlled.

What I am trying to do is rather on focusing what I cannot do (in your case you feel you might never be a mother or good partner), I try to focus on what I can do. It may seem like a small shift in thinking but its one of the things I now do that's had a hugely profound effect on my thought process. Everything in life may feel bad, but it doesn't not necessarily mean that everything is actually bad. A thought is a thought and learning to take an element of control of my thinking has been liberating and enlightening.

Didn't quite realise how many hours I'd put in the last two weeks. This is my last night for three days and it's suddenly hit me just how much it's worn me down.. Can feel the tears in my eyes, not that they'll fall but they are there all the same..

Thank you Drumpot for taking the time to write such a great response.
    I too am doing CBT as part of my therapy but im finding it all a bit silly especially the exercises I've to do. Its early days though only a few sessions in.
    At the moment my mood is low/ unstable sort of living in a brain fog just catching my thoughts every now and again if that makes any sense.
    Trying to keep in the 'here and now' but somedays not one thought will go through my head otherdays im panicking feeling worthless.
    Im glad your wife is understanding and you have support.
    I am not very long out of a longterm relationship. It was very destructive for me. I was emotionally abused and afraid of him. My illness escalated drastically during those years.
    There I go again telling my life story to the world.. Sorry.
    I guess what im trying to say is what I got from your post and that is to keep going with the CBT/ Therapy. Though it doesn't make much sense to me now, it probably will over time

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jabberwocky_I

How do you manage to stay afloat when breathing feels like an enormous effort?
    I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get out of bed in the morning. I was trying to salvage things for a while but I'm becoming more and more detached from that. I don't have it in me to even care anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

I can relate to alot in this thread.. am in a relationship 6 years my oh is very understanding and always trys get me to talk but as always I never show up ...

Oh the loneliness is in my bones tonight! Feel like the only person on the planet and my stomach has the dreaded feeling. :(

• Advertisement

Oh the loneliness is in my bones tonight! Feel like the only person on the planet and my stomach has the dreaded feeling. :(

I get like that at this time of night when the world quietens down.. It's weird how physical the feeling of loneliness can be for me like a hollow in my chest that feels like collapsing on itself..

Anyway I'm here if you want to chat Call me Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Feeling really overwhelmed. Don't know where my life is going

Thank you Drumpot for taking the time to write such a great response.
    I too am doing CBT as part of my therapy but im finding it all a bit silly especially the exercises I've to do. Its early days though only a few sessions in.
    At the moment my mood is low/ unstable sort of living in a brain fog just catching my thoughts every now and again if that makes any sense.
    Trying to keep in the 'here and now' but somedays not one thought will go through my head otherdays im panicking feeling worthless.
    Im glad your wife is understanding and you have support.
    I am not very long out of a longterm relationship. It was very destructive for me. I was emotionally abused and afraid of him. My illness escalated drastically during those years.
    There I go again telling my life story to the world.. Sorry.
    I guess what im trying to say is what I got from your post and that is to keep going with the CBT/ Therapy. Though it doesn't make much sense to me now, it probably will over time

I remember doing some of the CBT stuff and being embarrassed at anybody finding out! But instead of doing my usual "this is not for me, this will never work", I persevered and started to try to focus on taking at least some of the tips on board in my life.

My therapist and GP have both told me that my progress has been quick and impressive because I have done pretty much any instruction I have been given or any advice that was prescribed. I didn't question anything , I put my entire faith in the professionals . .

I really do understand the phrase "there is no pain in change, only in resisting change". It was my own thinking that got me here, I got quick/effective results by passing over the responsibility of my wellbeing to somebody who wasn't me! (Even the things I found silly or disagreed with).

I love the example they give in sessions where they showed a person saying hello to somebody across the road and how they interpreted it in their head if the person didn't respond or acknowledge them . .I could relate to that and the next time it happened I just thought back to this example and it actually helped me not go OTT thinking about being blanked!

For me, I stopped trying to find flaws in the advice I was given and tried to actually focus on what I could relate to. Its amazing how a small little shift like this can have such an uplifting effect on me.

With CBT, I got hope. I haven't necessarily gotten all the answers to date, but I got hope that there is an alternative to the way I lived and an alternative to medication. I find when I get caught up in the ratrace and life issues that I can go back to the thinking that had me so unwell but as soon as I start prioritising my mental health (top up CBT session or focusing on techniques to relax) over everything else I can find a decent balance . .

And I would also stress to you that sometimes I have found that I don't actually see the improvements that have happened. It was only the other day when I was in the woods with my children that I realised that I was "in the moment" for the entire time. And the reason I realised it is because there was somebody with me who is only starting CBT and I could see them constantly checking their phone, constantly needing to talk about other people and other times (rather then just enjoying that we were in a woods enjoying each others company and surroundings!) that I could relate to. They were not in the moment, they were anywhere but in the moment, but I was just enjoying watching my children get mucky and play with twigs . . So be mindful that you may not see improvements that have already become a part of your life . .

Drumpot your posts re: your improvement via CBT are very inspiring. Things are getting a bit out of hand for me and the desperation means I will hopefully be able to do CBT soon enough with the same kind of complete faith that you did.

I'm wondering though, there must have been specific 'core beliefs' that you have had to challenge through CBT. If you don't mind could you share some of these and do you think you have finally cracked some of them?

Also, HOW did you continue through those indifferent days, say day 11 of your treatment. It's not a big marker, it's not far into it, you feel very down on this day. Was it literally a case of ploughing through whatever exercise(s) you had to do that day? As if you were ordered to march 10 miles and just had to do it so each step you just marched?

I and many others I'm sure have really appreciated your posts. I think one of the hardest things to do is to tackle these beliefs or change a life-long pattern of thinking. As I said, I'm just almost at the point of challenging it all, but I am VERY scared about doing so. Are/were you like me insofar as at one point you would completely lose your spirit for the fight? That is another big fear for me, I'll be disciplined for 2 weeks and then completely lose my spirit and go a couple of weeks off, meaning progress goes back etc. How long overall has your CBT experience been and how much time of that would you say you 'fell off the wagon'?

Thanks

Drumpot you're posts are inspiring. I decided to check out the Aware life skills online programme and have signed up. turns out I scored highly on the Beck Depression scale...it's weird seeing it written down like that - suggests I go see my GP

Drumpot your posts re: your improvement via CBT are very inspiring. Things are getting a bit out of hand for me and the desperation means I will hopefully be able to do CBT soon enough with the same kind of complete faith that you did.

I'm wondering though, there must have been specific 'core beliefs' that you have had to challenge through CBT. If you don't mind could you share some of these and do you think you have finally cracked some of them?

Also, HOW did you continue through those indifferent days, say day 11 of your treatment. It's not a big marker, it's not far into it, you feel very down on this day. Was it literally a case of ploughing through whatever exercise(s) you had to do that day? As if you were ordered to march 10 miles and just had to do it so each step you just marched?

I and many others I'm sure have really appreciated your posts. I think one of the hardest things to do is to tackle these beliefs or change a life-long pattern of thinking. As I said, I'm just almost at the point of challenging it all, but I am VERY scared about doing so. Are/were you like me insofar as at one point you would completely lose your spirit for the fight? That is another big fear for me, I'll be disciplined for 2 weeks and then completely lose my spirit and go a couple of weeks off, meaning progress goes back etc. How long overall has your CBT experience been and how much time of that would you say you 'fell off the wagon'?

Thanks

Thanks everybody for the kind words . .

I am not sure if I can be very specific about my rehabilitation mainly because it’s my flawed perception of how things improved but I will give it a go. I have said some of this before, so my apologies if you feel I am repeating myself. Also, please keep probing me for answers and it might jolt something that I had forgotten. .

A few months ago I looked through some of my original post in this thread and I really do feel that coming on this forum was a significant help in my progress. This is the first post I could find that I made on the subject: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76804196&postcount=1054 . I must stress that it was only when I read this linked first post that I remembered I went to some free HSE councelling sessions before Christmas 2011. You only got 8 sessions free at the time and while they acknowledged I needed more help they recommended I try AWARE which I wasn’t overly excited about!.

Up until then I used to find a lot of solace in either medication (which looking back just made me like a zombie) and a few drinks at the weekend where I could actually just relax and switch off. This was as good as it got for me. The rest of the time, among other things, I was tormented with fear (of what I wasn't sure), anxiety (of things gone by and things that may happen in future) and regret (of the life I felt I was wasting). I was ashamed on some level because I had so many opportunities that others didn't and as such this shame made me feel like a waste of a life.

Before I started posting and reading on this thread, I just hoped that things would miraculously improve – “ if only I had (insert something you think will make you happy in your life) I know I would be happier and my life would improve. . . I was banking on a miracle and looking everywhere outside of me for answers. Coming to boards helped me focus on myself and my issues that I was reluctant to face.

I think it was being able to identify with other people that was the real help. . Instead of being the only person in the world who knew what was going on in my head, I was reading other peoples stories and started to get the impression that I wasn't as unique as I had thought. Not just that, other people had managed to overcome this affliction that I could really relate to.

To be honest most of the time I felt angry and resentful. People writing about how they had just finished some therapy or councelling and lead a remotely balanced life made me so unhappy. I felt like it only further backed up how much a hopeless case I was. . I defaulted to my "Im just a lazy, no good piece of sh*t that wont even do anything to help myself"!

Only after months and months of coming on here did I start taking advice. I spent loads of time just thinking about how great it would be to be able to sleep properly. Thinking about how great it would be to be able to relax during the day without any sort of medicated/alcohol substance. I suppose I would compare it to Stockholm syndrome in that I didn't actually do anything to improve my situation. I was paralysed with fear and depression held me captive in my head for as long as it could . .

I remember many times liking people making suggestions (like AWARE or CBT) as I got a certain sense of relief in knowing that there were potential solutions to my problem, but in an odd way I didn’t want to try for fear that they would fail and I would be left with no hope at all!

I honestly am not sure, but from what I can remember, the turning point was when I went to an aware meeting. I am recognising that I can hear the same advice over and over again (go to aware, try CBT etc), but that it can take the right moment or me simply being receptive or open to trying something I don’t want to do, that can make the difference.

At the Aware meeting I was way ahead of other people still learning to articulate their feelings (I had gone to plenty of counselling before this with limited success) and wasn't so sure if I would get much out of it. It is a bit hazy, but I think at the end of the meeting I was speaking with the person who organised this meeting, they suggested I consider the life skills programme.

I don’t remember how quickly or slowly I signed up to the lifeskills programme but at that stage I can say that my approach to my depression had changed. I was, for some reason, no longer willing to spend my life feeling so alone and isolated. Feeling at my most lonely when surrounded by family and friends. I wish I could put my finger on what triggered a change in my approach – desperation played its part, but a longing to feel a part of the world also helped. A willingness to try things I really didn’t want to do was another factor that I cannot really say how this happened. I think it was more a 180 degree shift from dismissing everything that was suggested to me, to being more open minded and willing to at least try.

When I signed up to the Lifeskills programme I had committed in my head to the full programme. I expected to be disappointed and to not agree with certain aspects of the programme. However Irrespective of how I felt of what was on the course, I committed to giving it my full attention. I had accepted at this stage that I didn’t really know how to get well or feel better consistently and had begun to realise that I needed help. There were weeks when I didn't want to return to the programme and wanted to bin it, but I forced myself to go because I knew I didn't have any better alternative at that stage and knew at worst it was a few more nights wasted . .

I can’t remember the entire course itself, but I do remember people of all sorts being at it. Its funny how I used to imagine that only stupid/weak people would need simple instructions on how to think or live their life. On the course I learned that this is not about intelligence or social standing, it’s about how a person feels and how they are wired from birth. I was no longer ashamed of how I felt. Instead of trying to drown out my thoughts I was learning to actually confront them and try to make sense of them. I was also learning not to be afraid of my thoughts. A thought is not an action, I also learned that intrusive thoughts are not real.

I had been on sleeping tablets and tried loads of different anti depressants. Had supplies of zanex and other calming stuff up to that stage. Whenever I went into my doctor I could see his face drop and it made me feel even worse .. I would think hes thinking “Oh f**k, heres this hypochondriac that I just cannot fix” . . It made me feel very stupid and like I was just some pathetic person wasting his time. .

After I finished the lifeskills programme I felt a bit more confident about myself. My life was still consistently crap, but there were subtle changes that I can only see now in hindsight. I made the decision to change doctors because I felt my relationship with my existing doctor had become toxic. I didn’t blame him but I felt that we both dreaded seeing each other and that this wasn’t a healthy way to continue a relationship that was at its heart about healthy support.

I spoke with my Aunty (a nurse) about how I had been suffering with depression and asked her if she could recommend a good doctor. She did and I have been seeing this doctor for nearly two years. He spent a lot of time getting to know me, took me off all medication so he could get a proper view of what was working, what was not working and where I really was emotionally. It felt good to feel that things were changing. I had more confidence in my new doctor and got some sense of hope that changes in my life could actually help. Hell, if a change in doctor can give me some happiness, who knows what other changes might yield . . Again, small sense of hope left me wanting to see what other changes might help!

He felt since I had positive results from CBT that I should get some one on one support and put me in touch with a personal CBT guy who was in many ways the final piece of my jigsaw of support.

I could go on (will do if you want), but I am aware that this is already a ridiculously long post. This story happened over the space of about 1 year from posting on this forum but bear in mind this is a problem I have known about for years. Here is a poem I wrote in 1998!

Feeling More then Lonely - written @ 11.30pm Feb 8th 1998 by Drumpot

Whats it all about ?
    Dancing, Singing, Crying, Loving!
    You said you would do it whenever you wanted to
    But you never ever tried, you just died
    On your own when you needed help
    You took a drink when you needed a yelp
    You did it to yourself but now you are reborn
    Your lifes starting over, broken from being torn.

When you're feeling down, let yourself frown
    Go with the flow
    When you need a hand, reach out for there is always help, its never too late . . .
    Why wait?
    Who are you really and what do you want ?
    You dont know me and I dont know you, yet we are one

I know now what it is like to have harmless fun
    With my pain and anger all bottled inside
    I learned well not to show it but when drunk could not hide
    I hurt who was close to me
    Why didnt they know, why didnt they see?

I cry now as I write this
    For what reason I do not know
    But I draw comfort from my tears
    as Im able to show
    Im so tired, yet alive and willing to go
    The more that I am you, Im getting to know
    My family and friends have been great to me
    It means so much to me or you, whoevering I may be

I spent over 13 years trying to figure things out for myself even though I had known for a long time that something was just not right. . What I would stress is that I didn’t just decide to make things happen for myself, it took me a long time to get to this place and it was only when I started to take action and do things differently to the way I had done them before did I start to see a change in my life.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Why would anything change in my life if I didn’t do anything differently? It was only when I started to trust in professionals, without question, to give me guidance. Even if their advice was embarrassing or something I didn’t like or agreed with, I went with it. I just wanted to feel better and nothing else mattered. It was so nice to feel like I wasn’t alone and that I had actual support in my troubles. Immediately it had a snowball effect and I felt more confident opening up to friends/family. I no longer felt invisible.

But please do not think that my life is a ball of roses. I still go back into my old way of thinking; I am just better able to lift myself out of it. I must also stress that this is in no way a “take two of these each morning and you will be fine” solution. I believe I will have to work on my mental health for my life, but I am ok with that, I have seen the benefits and it’s worth it.

stinkle wrote: »
    Drumpot you're posts are inspiring. I decided to check out the Aware life skills online programme and have signed up. turns out I scored highly on the Beck Depression scale...it's weird seeing it written down like that - suggests I go see my GP

Good for you stinkle . . Your journey begins here . .

One thing I would ask is that you try to be kind to yourself. Appreciate the little victories in life. Its a small thing to others, but to me at the beginning it actually started to help me build up a small sense of positivity towards myself. .

You have signed up to the programme. Don't worry about whether you are going to show up or even do the programme, just try to let it sink in that you have actually taken an action to try and improve how you feel.

Its easy to dismiss, but a small change in how I used to gauge my "progress" made a huge difference after awhile. Instead of putting myself down in my head I felt some fleeting confidence that I was beginning to take steps to get control of my life. Instead of being disappointed that I wasn't feeling how I thought a happy person should feel, I tried to just be content with small daily things in my life, including anything positive (no matter how small) that I did that might potentially help me feel better.

Going to Councelling, coming on boards to open up, going to aware, going to CBT, changing doctors, going to a personalised CBT guy . . All positive steps that didn't immediately guarantee I would feel better, but steps that gave me a lift along the way . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Don't feel good today. Anxiety rearing its ugly head.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I used to fantasise and play out things/incidents in my head that either happened or that I thought would happen. I got to the stage where I couldn't wait to be retired with grandkids so I could skip all the hassle getting there! In short, I lived a lot of my life in my head. The world is a much scarier place that simply cannot be controlled.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Good for you stinkle . . Your journey begins here . .

One thing I would ask is that you try to be kind to yourself. Appreciate the little victories in life. Its a small thing to others, but to me at the beginning it actually started to help me build up a small sense of positivity towards myself. .

You have signed up to the programme. Don't worry about whether you are going to show up or even do the programme, just try to let it sink in that you have actually taken an action to try and improve how you feel.

Its easy to dismiss, but a small change in how I used to gauge my "progress" made a huge difference after awhile. Instead of putting myself down in my head I felt some fleeting confidence that I was beginning to take steps to get control of my life. Instead of being disappointed that I wasn't feeling how I thought a happy person should feel, I tried to just be content with small daily things in my life, including anything positive (no matter how small) that I did that might potentially help me feel better.

Going to Councelling, coming on boards to open up, going to aware, going to CBT, changing doctors, going to a personalised CBT guy . . All positive steps that didn't immediately guarantee I would feel better, but steps that gave me a lift along the way . .

thanks so much, I'm actually feeling a lot better having done the first module online. I thought I'd be racing to do the next one but I'm not. Gonna digest the first one, and do the breathing techniques and other awareness ones. Like posting on here, it just felt good to get stuff out. I think I will go see my GP, I'm due a visit actually so it's not a big deal.

Was having a sort of bad week anyway, then got upset yesterday so that really threw me today. Doing the online module had me a little upset, but I think it was a good thing. It felt good to be thinking and writing though.

• Advertisement

stinkle wrote: »
    thanks so much, I'm actually feeling a lot better having done the first module online. I thought I'd be racing to do the next one but I'm not. Gonna digest the first one, and do the breathing techniques and other awareness ones. Like posting on here, it just felt good to get stuff out. I think I will go see my GP, I'm due a visit actually so it's not a big deal.

Was having a sort of bad week anyway, then got upset yesterday so that really threw me today. Doing the online module had me a little upset, but I think it was a good thing. It felt good to be thinking and writing though.

I sometimes get upset when I hear sad things on the radio or see a sad thing on tv . . Im happier now that I can actually get upset then the numb, dull feelings I used to have . .

For me, right now crying is an integral part of dealing with my inner feelings that I have still not figured out how to express.

You are completely correct on the module. It has already started for you . . I remember when I started the breathing techniques I got some really good tips and advice from a meditation app. It stated that many people think they have failed at meditating because they don't always get the same sense of peace/relaxtion that they expect every time they try. Instead of trying to focus on where you would like to get (peace/serenity), try to focus on where you are and what you are doing.

I think for me it was the same with CBT. I stopped trying to focus on what I thought peace and happiness was in life, I stopped focusing on trying to be there and just started to focus on working on things in my life to help me make some progression . . I must also stress that I found it hard work because life still goes on. Work can still be sh*t, family can be a drain and bad things continue to happen. Sometimes I felt like I was taking two steps forward and three steps back, but that didn't mean I wasn't making progress, it only felt like that . .

When I get knockbacks, instead of thinking "well f**k CBT" or "F**k life", I try to take a step back from whatever it is that has me in that frame of mind. Sounds like I know it all right ? Wrong, this can take me a day, a week and sometimes its not as simple as I am writing it. However, because I know have the gift of wisdom ("I know that this sh*t will pass"), while I might feel like sh*t for days, I know that my life can/will improve. .

I remember hearing that phrase "this too shall pass" . . Made me think of Gandelf holding his staff in the lord of the rings, on that bridge with the giant fire devil and he says "You . . . .. shall not pass". Always brings a smile to my face, but I think its quite an appropriate metaphor. Sometimes the waves of anxiety/fear/hopelessness can make me feel like I have to battle a giant firedevil who I couldn't possibly hope to defeat. It killed Gandelf but he was reborn wiser and braver then before . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement