Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comic Creator Challenge

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've just checked my mail and found that the links have, indeed, gone banjaxed. I won't be able to do anything about it until this afternoon but I will get it fixed and post an update here.

Looking forward to round 3's entries but I'm a bit behind schedule on mine - have to crack on with it tonight...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Fixed now, or at least it works from my machine at work. Let me know if anything's still not showing up right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

Just checked it out. It's ok. It's only mine that comes back 'file does not exist'. Sure, what else is new?

Hmm, hadn't noticed that one. Also fixed now. I should really put a little more attention into the site as a whole...

Oh, Happy Day. First I get through an audit with only five notes and now I find my descendants and their progeny can see my works for generation upon generation to come! A blessing on your house, sir. And the garden. And car-port...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 LucyR

given that this is my first time trying to draw a comic, id ont actually have a webspace home for it. how else can i submit my entry?

(ive almsot done it, just to scan it now)

If you can get it scanned, email it to me (fyshbowlcomics@gmail.com) and I'll arrange including it in this round's entries on the site.

cheers, im almost done. should barely make the midnight deadline :D

I'll sort my own site for the next time out

/edit, sod the deadline, my scanner seems to be scanning pictures diagonally, so i cant get the last one done :mad:

I've missed the deadline! If I get it finished by the weekend can I still submit, or am I pushing my luck. I just need to finish colouring and do the lettering. Pressure of work, demands of dayjobs, please don't banish me for one liddle (calendar-related) mistake (I'm a good guy, really)

You're not the only person who's missed the deadline - I've had one or two other emails along similar lines, and since it's going to take me a few days to sort out the site update (no internet at home, etc) I figure there's no harm in it. (Plus, I know exactly what you mean about dayjobs ect interfering with your ability to balance a workload effectively...)

Let me know when you have it ready and I'll hold off the update for a few days.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Borish

Hey man did you get mine ...done and dusted:p

Yep, looks like 6 entries for this round including mine. I should be able to get the site update ready over the weekend and have it online early next week, but I'll post an update when it's done. In the meantime, anyone who's taken part so far and wants me to put a short bio/link to a site alongside their entry, let me know.

Room for a seventh? Just finished last night, really couldn't get to it any sooner. Just laying it out now, it'll be with you within the hour.

Okay, done! My gutter entry has been e-mailed. I hope there's still time to include it and apologise profusely if you've been messed around. Hope you think it's worth it.

It's no problem, the more entries the better. After your second round entry I was hoping you'd take part again :)

Didn't want to be the first to break cover with this question - smacks a little of desparation, donchya think - but neither do I want you to think that nobody's all that bothered, but, um, Round Three nearly up yet? No pressure, but if you could just let us know how things are going ...

/me looks shiftily around

Yes, it's nearly done. I'm sorry for all the delays, it's in no small part due to disorganisation on my behalf. It will be up by tomorrow evening and we can start discussing the entries (and the theme for the next round - yay!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote:
    /me looks shiftily around

Yes, it's nearly done. I'm sorry for all the delays, it's in no small part due to disorganisation on my behalf. It will be up by tomorrow evening and we can start discussing the entries (and the theme for the next round - yay!).

cool, I just heard about this and I'm hoping to do something for the next round :)

Right - sorry for all the delays with this, folks, but round 3 is now online. I'll post up another poll in the next couple of days so you can vote for your favourite entry. As ever, let me know if there's any glitches in the site, I have a couple of updates still pending. Anyone who's submitted an entry and wants to have a profile or website listed against their name, send me on the details and I'll put one up for you.

The poll for round 3 is up now.

Next thing : I reckon Round 4 should start on the 21st of July, ending on the 21st of August. What sort of themes are people interested in, and do we want to have any minimum or maximum pagelengths? Does anyone want to experiment with different kind of format restrictions (eg only using grid-structures for panels, limited colour palletes, etc)?

I'd like to try something with a restricted colour palette myself, but I'm also curious to see what others would come up with given the same conditions.

As for themes, my suggestions are :

"Burning"
    "The truth"
    "It was a dark and stormy night" (in the spirit of the Bulwer-Lytton Contest, of course)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Longshadow

New to these here Boards, but like the idea of entering this, been making abortive efforts to start creating comics for some time now, this could be a nice place to start.
    As for themes, I like the sound of either 'Burning' or 'The Truth'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote:
    Next thing : I reckon Round 4 should start on the 21st of July, ending on the 21st of August. What sort of themes are people interested in, and do we want to have any minimum or maximum pagelengths? Does anyone want to experiment with different kind of format restrictions (eg only using grid-structures for panels, limited colour palletes, etc)?

Well I'm up for doing something for the next round, I'm easy as far as number of pages and colour palletes thou I'm not sure what you mean by limiting panels to a grid-structure - do you mean to have set size for the gutters?

We could do it various ways - limit the size of the gutters, limit the size of the panels, limit the number of panels, have a structure consisting of a set number of panels per row/page...it'll make things fiddly from a design perspective, but I'm intrigued by the idea after having to junk my original 9-page idea for the last round and re-do it onto a 1-page grid layout.

The one-page grid is what you did this round, yeah? I agree it seems odd to talk in terms of pages on a website, though I always have it in mind that one day this might be collected and printed so I tend to keep to the approximate dimensions of a standard page. Maybe a more general discipline like "at least one image must break out of the frame" or "the centre-piece must explode out of the screen and be in monochrome" would satisfy both camps (assuming I'm in a camp and not sitting alone in a lonely forest on a dark and stormy night - hey! Where's the light-bulb smiley?? Dammit, it's gone in the wrong place!).

I think maximum length is pretty much determined by the "time for creation". I know that I was pushed to get my entry into a workable time-span and then gave up (to be continued). I hope to be entering the 24 Hour comic thing, though, which should bring home a few home truths that have been away (on holiday, I suppose. Away from home, anyway).

How about (for a subject) "A Burning Truth on a Dark and Stormy Night"? Maybe another round might be an opening paragraph (as per the Bulwer-Lytton Contest you cite), something like (and this isn't a suggestion, in case you think I've already written a comic to go with it) "The one thing Harvey didn't realise was that his tie was on crooked and through the gaps in the carelessly buttoned shirt beneath could be clearly seen ..." (and you lose points for saying 'a big red S').

Or how about the last line of a winning entry being the first line of the next round for everybody?? (That one I do like, harder to fix).

Now I think of it, not many entries using colour these days, are there, so monochrome isn't going to be that much of a challenge ...

Absence of colour is probably due to lazy people, or just it suiting the story better
    (i'll try to claim the the latter but really ummm time got in the way of my
    ummmm colouring.... not my inability to set aside time....)

i like the idea of a sentence to base the stories on rather than a word, gives less room to maneuver unless you're willing to be really creative

LucyR wrote:
    Absence of colour is probably due to lazy people, or just it suiting the story better
    (i'll try to claim the the latter but really ummm time got in the way of my
    ummmm colouring.... not my inability to set aside time....)

Heh, I'm very much a case of the former. I'd like to say I'm perfecting black n white art, but I'm usually too lazy to put extra time into colouring as I'm not too good at it. (I prefer digital colouring as I can undo mistakes more easily).
    LucyR wrote:
    i like the idea of a sentence to base the stories on rather than a word, gives less room to maneuver unless you're willing to be really creative

Ditto, I'm keen to see a bit more diversity from a narrower starting point. Seeing the various interpretations of the theme so far has been cool, but I'd like to see what happens if everyone has to start from a given sentence or even a splash panel (another idea I had was that everyone is given a copy of a photograph that they have to incorporate into their first page somehow...what are everyone's thoughts on this?)

Edit

Curses, that should have been the former above - fixed now. I'm just lazy about colour as I'm not all that good at it so it takes me ages. But I liked the effect it gave on my second round comic, so I shall have to force myself to master it...

Could we photo shop this photo?
    I don't like the idea of colours making the rest of my piece look lazy :P

but beyond that, it's a cool idea. we have eight days to make a descision anyway, so roll on the thoughts

I was about to diss the photo idea, but by the time I'd logged in I realised I was wrong. First, I thought it would be too easy to include-but-ignore the photo, like in "Here's a picture of a rabbit I once slaughtered. Anyway, about this submarine you want me to paint...". Then I thought, "but if you had to include the photo as a plot-point, you'd have to work it in properly." And finally I thought, "what if elements of the photo had to be included and not necessarily the photo itself?"

I'm liking the photo idea, btw.

I'm also liking the splash-panel idea, tho', which is what I was going to say in the first place before I got distracted by photo-opportunities. It would be totally fascinating, if possibly a trifle competitive, if everyone had to begin from the same image, but each would draw it in their own individual style, and that in itself would be worth the admission fee to see. I think ther would still have to be a story theme, though, so that each person would jump off from the same point and end somewhere around the same area, but the stages in between might be their own.

sort of a start and end panel and make your own intermediate frames idea?

• Advertisement

It's starting to sound like a real improv. A proper comics jam session. This makes me smiyel :o .

Advertisement