Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WCMM in tropical tank?

• 27-09-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I got a call from a sibling asking me to take their kids' guppies because the goldfish (which I had refused to take unless they bought a 150L tank for me) died and the kids wanted to flush the guppies down the loo :eek: because they were bored of them.

Feck it, I thought, a few guppies won't overload the tank so I accepted them and they were delivered in a 30L or so tank but I don't think they're guppies. The plastic of the aquarium has gone cloudy so I can't get a decent shot but they look too bland even for female guppies and the tail is much too small. They look like a species of tetra but I can't see anything matching them online, I think they could be White Cloud Minnows: they're silver with a blue sheen and a touch of red along the bottom of the anal fin and the belly. They are loving the strong flow from the filter, which I don't think they've ever had before.

If they are WCMM can they habituated to a 27C tropical tank? I have no interest at the moment of setting up a cold tank.

Here is the best photo I could get of them, they're speedy little beggars.

photo_zpssrt2hi4s.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have WCMMs in our community tropical tank with no problems at all.

Like guppies they seem to have a tolerance for a wide range of temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I have had them in a tropical tank too but those don't look like WCMM. Have you any better pictures?

Would they be Buenos Aires Tetra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Look up pearl Danio ;)

Can live In Tropical or cold water

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Look up pearl Danio ;)

Can live In Tropical or cold water

Though I reserve the right to say different later - Winner, winner: chicken dinner! That looks like the species alright.

I'll pop a heater in there after the weekend (I'm away for a couple of days) and by the time they've accustomed themselves to the higher temperature they'll be through quarantine :)

Delighted to have an ID, I hate keeping a fish in the wrong set-up. My family think I'm mad because it's 'just a fish' (see also: quarantining), but to the fish its life is the most important thing it has.

Kine; I initially thought Buenos Aires tetra, but the body shape is wrong. And, unfortunately, that is the best photo I've been able to get after days of trying. Between their speed and the scuffed plastic tank it's hard to get a decent shot.

kylith wrote: »
    Though I reserve the right to say different later - Winner, winner: chicken dinner! That looks like the species alright.

I'll pop a heater in there after the weekend (I'm away for a couple of days) and by the time they've accustomed themselves to the higher temperature they'll be through quarantine :)

Delighted to have an ID, I hate keeping a fish in the wrong set-up. My family think I'm mad because it's 'just a fish' (see also: quarantining), but to the fish its life is the most important thing it has.

Kine; I initially thought Buenos Aires tetra, but the body shape is wrong. And, unfortunately, that is the best photo I've been able to get after days of trying. Between their speed and the scuffed plastic tank it's hard to get a decent shot.

When you're In The game as long as I am you get to know species at a glance!

They'll do much better in a tropical alright, very fast little fish and love having friends. Don't tend to bother bother fish but as they're so fast they can out eat slower species! They're lovely fish used to keep them, look great at the tip of the tank as little specks of blue!

• Advertisement

When you're In The game as long as I am you get to know species at a glance!

They'll do much better in a tropical alright, very fast little fish and love having friends. Don't tend to bother bother fish but as they're so fast they can out eat slower species! They're lovely fish used to keep them, look great at the tip of the tank as little specks of blue!

Yeah, my cardinals are going to have to learn to get a move on at dinner time!

Yeah, my cardinals are going to have to learn to get a move on at dinner time!

I find if you feed at two different ends of the tank it gives enough space for everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I thought it looked like Praecox rainbow, aka rainbowfish? Maybe too elongated for that but have a look on Google.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+886+1059&pcatid=1059

Kernel wrote: »
    I thought it looked like Praecox rainbow, aka rainbowfish? Maybe too elongated for that but have a look on Google.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+886+1059&pcatid=1059

Definitely not praecox. I had them for years, those fish In the picture on thread are danio. Rainbows are much more elipticle shape and their anal and dorsal fin are rounder.

Even praecox fry and youngstock are very round with a distinguished 'shoulder' not torpedo shaped.

I had another species of rainbowfish before and I'm confident that they're not that type. They're old enough now that if they were going to develop the rainbow body shape they would have.

I'll be starting to condition them for the tropical tank this week, so fingers crossed that'll go well.

• Advertisement

I moved them into my main tank yesterday. They're a lovely fish; very active and not hassling the other fish at all. They seem to love and seek out the flow from the filter. They're pretty much glued to the top of the tank, is this normal?

I moved them into my main tank yesterday. They're a lovely fish; very active and not hassling the other fish at all. They seem to love and seek out the flow from the filter. They're pretty much glued to the top of the tank, is this normal?

Yes very normal, they're top level fish who live In Fast flowing rivers!

The cardinals have worked out that they have to be a bit speedier to get grub, my apisto, not so much. I've long wondered if a fish can be mentally handicapped because of him; I can drop food in front of his face and he won't seem to spot it. Still I do what I can to take care of the wee idiot.

The cardinals have worked out that they have to be a bit speedier to get grub, my apisto, not so much. I've long wondered if a fish can be mentally handicapped because of him; I can drop food in front of his face and he won't seem to spot it. Still I do what I can to take care of the wee idiot.

Highly probable he has problems with his eyes, very common, I have a blind Congo tetra! He just follows his girlfriend and the rest of the shoal and gets food on their signal.

Try meatier food, pellets and such, might be a bit more palatable for him. Try garlic infused food too, encourages fussy or non responsive eaters to eat!

And yes you can get a disabled fish. I had a clownfish years ago who suffered brain damage s a result of someone putting him into freshwater. He survived around 2 years, but had to be spot fed - food was placed directly at his mouth with a baster. He soon learnt how to hand feed.
    He would swim backwards and often upside down. He crashed into stuff a lot at first but then figured out how to turn. He used to get stuck in odd places. He was cute but shouldn't have happened in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I got a call from a sibling asking me to take their kids' guppies because the goldfish (which I had refused to take unless they bought a 150L tank for me) died and the kids wanted to flush the guppies down the loo :eek: because they were bored of them.

Feck it, I thought, a few guppies won't overload the tank so I accepted them and they were delivered in a 30L or so tank but I don't think they're guppies. The plastic of the aquarium has gone cloudy so I can't get a decent shot but they look too bland even for female guppies and the tail is much too small. They look like a species of tetra but I can't see anything matching them online, I think they could be White Cloud Minnows: they're silver with a blue sheen and a touch of red along the bottom of the anal fin and the belly. They are loving the strong flow from the filter, which I don't think they've ever had before.

If they are WCMM can they habituated to a 27C tropical tank? I have no interest at the moment of setting up a cold tank.

Here is the best photo I could get of them, they're speedy little beggars.

photo_zpssrt2hi4s.jpg
    WCMM would be fine in the warmer water (in that they'd tolerate it), but you should expect to see greatly reduced life expectancy as the warmer water speeds up their metabolism.

Highly probable he has problems with his eyes, very common, I have a blind Congo tetra! He just follows his girlfriend and the rest of the shoal and gets food on their signal.

Try meatier food, pellets and such, might be a bit more palatable for him. Try garlic infused food too, encourages fussy or non responsive eaters to eat!

And yes you can get a disabled fish. I had a clownfish years ago who suffered brain damage s a result of someone putting him into freshwater. He survived around 2 years, but had to be spot fed - food was placed directly at his mouth with a baster. He soon learnt how to hand feed.
    He would swim backwards and often upside down. He crashed into stuff a lot at first but then figured out how to turn. He used to get stuck in odd places. He was cute but shouldn't have happened in the first place.

He's definitely inbred (either brother/sister or father/daughter) and he has a massive overbite. He might have poor eyesight but I don't think he's actually blind; it's more like "Lalala... what's that stuff floating down past me? oh yeah, it's the stuff I eat.. Hey, one of those little blue beggars has nabbed it... Lalala... what's that stuff...?"

Advertisement