Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dog keeps attacking second dog

• 27-01-2011 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi I have two dogs, one male (5) and one female (4). Have the female since 8 weeks and the male for a year and half. They are both small dogs (terrier type).

The female seems to gets jealous and attacks the male. It used to only happen when there was another dog around, if we were minding a friends dog for the weekend but now its more and more often. I have noticed her watching him and its usually shortly after that she attacks. This evening she pounced on him and had to pull them apart. He now has a lump/cut above his eye.

We had a trainer out last summer but it didnt make much difference. Would more training help or how should I react in this situation?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

I had the same problem between my male and female. The female always instigates the acts. We just became really striked with her, she was not allowed on the sofa, or move from room to room, if she started "looking" at him she was removed from the room. We also got a water pistol so we cud stop her if it looked like she was going to start her little starring game. This happened fairly regular but since we have comedown on her shes grand and they actually play together very well now.
    She knows if she's good she is allowed in with the family if she is bold she is on her own in the kitchen. Dont know if that helps but I know what your going through and its tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Ah yes, the old eyeballing of another dog which usually signals "I'm gonna git you, sucka!!" We've had a few instances of that too with our dogs and it is usually Meg who starts it on Jack. Now it's never gone too far and when I see her doing it, I warn her with a sharp "Hey!", distract her with rewards but she has to sit, lie down, and wait with the treat in front of her for a few seconds. Basically, I'm just giving her something else to do. It happens every now and then but when it seems it's happening too frequently, I add on extra time to our walks or take them somewhere new so that they are too mentally and physically tired to be up to mischief.

Caesar Milan says that if two dogs aren't getting along, that walking them together every day will usually help sort that out because it develops a pack/family mentality between you and them. Now, I know that a lot of people will say that his methods are cracked or what have you and that's fair enough, but a few years ago, a friend of mine did just that with her dogs that weren't getting along and it took time, patience and watchfulness but they get on great now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mellymoom78

Thanks for the replies so far, will reply tomorrow when I have more time but for now is there anything I can put on the cut tonight to try and stop any risk of infection.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ginwmot

You could clean it with some warm water with a little salt in it.

Advertisement