Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legalities of setting up an animal charity?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

karen2153 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no need to justify myself to anyone.

No one said that you had to justify yourself.
    However, I would like to put the record straight. No-one has refused to re-home one of my dogs - they are not available for re-homing, they are here for life. (If I knew how to put pictures up you could see my lovely greyhounds)

But, as I said previously, I have a dog here that I took in to save from being PTS and have found that, when I approached the re-homing centre, was made to feel like a second class citizen. That is what I have an issue with - some people may not even ASK for help if they are made to feel bad about it.

Karen,This thread could have been a whole different thread had you explained all this in your first post.Your first post asked for advice in rehoming geryhounds which a lot of users applauded.

Then your second poist goes on about some rescues "looking down theri nose at you"
    Straight away alarm bells went off in my head and some other users heads.
    Someone annoyed with a rescue not helping and then decides to start their own rescue sounds a bit strange when you think about it.

As far as me asking for advice on this board - no wonder that people walk away from trying to do something about a situation when they ask for advice and get slated for doing so. I have learned my lesson and will not ask on here for any advice in future.

Feel free to ask again but in future please give us the full facts before you ask.That way this situation wont happen again in the future.
    p.s. It was not me who reported any bullying - everyone is entitled to their own opinion, including me and I would be delighted if this thread was deleted and my account closed.

I can confirm that it wasnt yourself that reported the bullying.The poster that reported on the bullying issue has not even posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

@ Karen/op there are so many rescues in Ireland if you find it difficult to deal with one don't worry because they all have different attitudes and different ways of dealing with things so perhaps just see if you can find a non judgemental rescue that is willing to work with you to help these dogs.

Look what does it matter you are a dog owner at the end of the day wanting to help other dogs, if you want to take in some ex racers and can afford to offer them a good quality of life until they find a good home then you can go ahead and do that straight away, lots of people take in the occasional dog and rehome them off their own bat.

If you want to make it more official and perhaps expand the kennels it might be a matter of you having to fund it yourself at first and eventually once it gets off the ground and working with an accountant you can start to sort out registering as a charity.

The important thing though is to start off small so you don't get overwhelmed. Also it's very important to chat to a rescue, they don't have to be a greyhound rescue but just a rescue that has started off from scratch and can advise you on the practical things like insurance, tax, your rehoming policy, setting up a website etc.

Just because you race greys doesn't mean it's your fault there are unwanted greyhounds it's the owners of racers who don't take care of their retired greys that are causing the problem not the responsible owners.
    Same goes for horse racing.

At the end of the day op if you want to help ex racers then it can only be a good thing just be aware that it will also involve cruelty cases coming in somewhere along the line and a lot of money from your own pocket, also it will interfere with family life and your spare time but it does end up becoming more of a vocation and can take over your life.

In the mean time if you need time to think about it then perhaps try other rescues and see if they have any greyhounds that need a safe place to go until they find a home. Most rescues if not all will take in greys so it's worth looking at a general dog rescue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just because you race greys doesn't mean it's your fault there are unwanted greyhounds it's the owners of racers who don't take care of their retired greys that are causing the problem not the responsible owners.

How can anyone be a responsible owner ?. Even if one looks after one's own dogs they will of come from litters where the majority may of been killed. If a bitch produces 8 pups it does not mean that you get 8 racers. By getting those dogs in the first place it perpetuates the over breeding that is at the heart of the problem. Why breed 22,000 puppies per year ?. That many are bred because to get racing dogs you have to generate a lot of waste.

A race owner cannot afford to kennel & feed ex racers in the numbers that would be required. Say a Greyhound lives for 12 years then there should be 260,000 of them somewhere. No one could rehome that many dogs. Rehoming one greyhound in Ireland can be difficult enough.

Racing can only exist provided you agree that killing thousands of unwanted dogs is acceptable. There is no way of providing ethical or humane racing in the way that we have racing today. And please don't think that Horse Racing doesn't have similar problems. Race Horses that don't make the grade are now really difficult to sell so hundreds are being slaughtered.

I reiterate that if the OP is concerned about getting a negative reaction from rescues she should focus on the Greyhound rescues that are part of the IGB welfare scheme as they take in ex racers all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SarahMc2

If anyone is looking to contact a good greyhound charity then go to www.kerrygreyhounds.ie

Advertisement