Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skilled visa subclass 190, state sponsorship

• 14-11-2014 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi there!

I'd like to pick the brains of people who've been successful (or not) in securing the australian skilled visa 190 and managed to get state sponsorship.

From my understanding a condition of the visa is that you have a job offer for 12 months minimum in order for your application to be reviewed. Has anyone managed to secure employment from Ireland in order to get their visa?

I've done masses of research and this is the only visa available to me. I want to emmigrate to Perth and work in the financial sector.

Any advice/tips/success and horror stories you have would be a huge help to me!
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭S31

any info anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

the information is all here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/pages/190.aspx

I don't see any requirement for having an employment offer but I'm not overly familiar with the 190.

To be honest if you're going to struggle figuring things like your above question out I'd recommend getting a good agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

S31 wrote: »
    Hi there!

I'd like to pick the brains of people who've been successful (or not) in securing the australian skilled visa 190 and managed to get state sponsorship.

From my understanding a condition of the visa is that you have a job offer for 12 months minimum in order for your application to be reviewed.

Technically it's not a condition of the visa, but a condition of State Sponsorship under WA State Migration Plan.

Only occupations that are on Schedule 2 of the SMP require a formal 12 month employment offer, those occupations that are on schedule 1 do not.

Also on average only about 700 Irish people per year are granted State Nominated 190s for the whole of Australia and that number includes dependents and families so the number Primary of applicants would be a lot lower, you would be safer asking on one of the Brit sites like Pomsinoz.com or Britishexpats.com or even something like Indiansinoz as the demographics of this forum is unlikely to yield what you are looking for.

thanks for the info Mandrake, you know your stuff! I'm beginning to feel defeated already- I'm itching to get over there and it has to be WA, thats where my relative is based! Do you think my chances are very slim basically?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Why can't you go for a 189 visa? Then you can live anywhere you want. Only limitation I could see is that your occupation isn't on the list for 189? State sponsorship only gives you 5 extra points and limits you location wise. We went for 190 as we were already in WA and intending to stay here and the processing time then was faster for 190 over 189.

• Advertisement

See it's because my occupation is on the 2nd list that's why I think I need to go for the 190

But as a side - I submit my Resume to a recruiter in Perth who contacted me to say they have a number of jobs that I would be perfect for but the lady there said that maybe I could travel over on a tourist visa and then once I secure permanent employment, my permanent residency could be arranged from there. She said she would need to consult an agent to see if this would be possible, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have heard of this before or know whether it is allowed??

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

See it's because my occupation is on the 2nd list that's why I think I need to go for the 190

But as a side - I submit my Resume to a recruiter in Perth who contacted me to say they have a number of jobs that I would be perfect for but the lady there said that maybe I could travel over on a tourist visa and then once I secure permanent employment, my permanent residency could be arranged from there. She said she would need to consult an agent to see if this would be possible, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have heard of this before or know whether it is allowed??

Thanks!

So illegal it's not even funny.

And any recruiter who suggests you do that is not worth their salt.

If immigration suspect you are coming here seeking employment, they will have you on the first plane back to Ireland at your own expense.

That's what I thought, I genuinely think the lady at the recruitment agency didn't have a breeze about how this whole thing works, but to be fair to her she did say she'd check it out with an agent.

So do you have any idea what I could do to get sorted sooner if I get a job offer apart from having to go through the whole process of applying for the 190 visa from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Galwaygirl1982

I'm a Registered Migration Agent in Australia. What's your occupation ?
    How many point do you have ?
    Have you completed a skills assessment?

The 190 are processed very fast - 2 months on average .

If you have relatives you may also wish to look at the Subclass 489 / 4 year visa ( not permanent visa)

The 190 - state sponsorship has no conditions on the visa . You sign a commitment to that state that you intend to stay there for 2 years . You generally have to complete surveys for statistical purposes over the two years . If your situation changes over the two years and you have to move state there is no provision in the legislation to cancel your visa .

Lots of ppl on tourist visas approach an agency's for work . Although you are not legally permitted to work there is no reason why you can't suss the work situation out for a return trip. You can even apply for your visa while onshore. If you lodge your visa onshore you get a bridging visa A. Once your current visa expires you go on to a BVA and can legally work while waiting for pr to be approved .

I hope this helps!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

That's what I thought, I genuinely think the lady at the recruitment agency didn't have a breeze about how this whole thing works, but to be fair to her she did say she'd check it out with an agent.

So do you have any idea what I could do to get sorted sooner if I get a job offer apart from having to go through the whole process of applying for the 190 visa from Ireland?

Never underestimate how little Australians know about visas.

• Advertisement

I'm a Registered Migration Agent in Australia. What's your occupation ?
    How many point do you have ?
    Have you completed a skills assessment?

The 190 are processed very fast - 2 months on average .

If you have relatives you may also wish to look at the Subclass 489 / 4 year visa ( not permanent visa)

The 190 - state sponsorship has no conditions on the visa . You sign a commitment to that state that you intend to stay there for 2 years . You generally have to complete surveys for statistical purposes over the two years . If your situation changes over the two years and you have to move state there is no provision in the legislation to cancel your visa .

Lots of ppl on tourist visas approach an agency's for work . Although you are not legally permitted to work there is no reason why you can't suss the work situation out for a return trip. You can even apply for your visa while onshore. If you lodge your visa onshore you get a bridging visa A. Once your current visa expires you go on to a BVA and can legally work while waiting for pr to be approved .

I hope this helps!!

Hi!

Thanks for your reply to my question - I had been in touch with a migration agency over here but I found it difficult to get answers from them.

I wonder if you might be able to assist me? My apologies for being so forward!

What I've been told so far is
    1. My chosen occupation is on the 2nd list so I need to apply for the 190 visa
    2. I have my heart set on Perth and this is why I need state sponsorship as it is a requirement of WA
    3. I can't apply for this until I have an employment offer of min. 12 months (which I believe is quite difficult to secure from across the pond)
    4. I'm 32, and I'm in the process of gathering all the info needed for the occupation assessment, I have also applied for the IELTS test which I sit in early December.
    5. I have a brother who is currently applying for his permanent residency in Perth, but I'm not sure how long it takes to process. As far as I know he's only at the beginning of the process

I think that's everything I can tell you - I hope you don't mind me picking your brain!

Thanks so much

What's the occupation?

Its Insurance Broker

Its Insurance Broker

I will take a look later for you. The Ielts test is difficult to start studying for it .

thank you so much galwaygirl1982 - I really really appreciate it!!

I have been studying like mad, fingers crossed I can get good marks across the board.

Thanks again!

Insurance Broker -
    option 1 : do English exam , skills assessment in Ireland and ensure you have 55 points . Go to WA on a holiday and meet with recruiters . You may get s job offer ?
    option 2: Apply to a different state - South Australia have your occupation on their list.

I wouldn't worry about the skills list too much they change all the time so for the moment focus on getting your 55 points so get your English exam and Skills Assessmrnt sorted and then go from there . That will take 3-4 months .

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Guys, if you score 55 points, you are not eligible for a visa. You need a minimum of 60 points.

I know of people that have waiting for over 2 years for their occupation to be included on the state shortage lists before giving up and reconsidering their visa options.

Getting your skills assessed and doing the IELTS ?(or other acceptable English tests) is risky because you are paying out hundreds of AUD and you don't even meet the points requirements.

While it is true that requirements can change from time to time - why risk paying out money to different bodies when you already know for definite at the beginning that you are not eligible (if you only score 55 points).

This is not something I'd advise a client to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

55 points is enough if you go the state sponsership route isn't it? Don't you get 5 points from the state sponsership bringing you up to the required 60?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi Pugins

Yes - you can claim 5 points for state nomination but in order to claim these, your occupation needs to be on the occupation list for that state.

Also even if your occupation is on the state shortage list, the state has different criteria that you need to comply with in order to secure a nomination - for example job offer, IELTS requirements. If you are applying from outside Australia, there is also a significant funding requirements that you need to comply with - WA for example wants evidence that you have AUD 25,000 in an account to support yourself and this increases the more applciants that are included on your applciation.

So if your occupation is not on the state shortage list or you find it difficult to meet the state requirements, then you will not secure state nomination and you will not be able to claim the additional 5 points.

This is a basic check I do with all my clients before proceeding with an application because I would not like to put someone through the uncertainty of whether their occupation will get be included on the state shortage list at some point in the future - especially after they pay out money for an skills assessment.

Thanks Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GreenKangaroo

Hello,

Could you please suggest where is the information about 700 Irish per year on 190 visa from?
    Does it apply only to Irish or to anyone living in Ireland? I wonder if it affects the visa processing timeline.

I could not find any official reference with the quotas per country, so appreciate if you could clarify this me, hope it will help me to forecast the timeline better. Have been waiting for 5 month after the application date.

Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Hello,

Could you please suggest where is the information about 700 Irish per year on 190 visa from?
    Does it apply only to Irish or to anyone living in Ireland? I wonder if it affects the visa processing timeline.

I could not find any official reference with the quotas per country, so appreciate if you could clarify this me, hope it will help me to forecast the timeline better. Have been waiting for 5 month after the application date.

Thanks a lot.

I have never heard of a limit being put on the number of immigrants from certain countries.
    There are quotas though depending on the state you are wanting to live in and your occupation :
    http://m.immagine-immigration.com/m/immigration-blog-mobile/blog/category/migration-quota/

Advertisement