Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is this bird?

• 16-05-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Two of these birds seem to have taken over a swallow/ house martin nest.
    Im not sure what they are though. Im thinking some sort of finch.
    Has anyone ever heard of them taking over a nest like this though?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

BFassassin wrote: »
    Two of these birds seem to have taken over a swallow/ house martin nest.
    Im not sure what they are though. Im thinking some sort of finch.
    Has anyone ever heard of them taking over a nest like this though?

Both photos show male House Sparrows, and yes they regularly nest in old nests of other species. They are probably a more threatened species - certainly in a more rapid decline than House Martins or Swallows, and they have their own charm.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Cheers LostCovey.
    Never seen them around the garden before.
    They seem to have bullied out the other birds because it is a newly built nest that they build every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

LostCovey wrote: »
    They are probably a more threatened species - certainly in a more rapid decline than House Martins or Swallows

I wasnt aware of this. I get loads of them out my back garden every day. They all live in a large bush across the road from me and come to the garden as I always have seed out for the birds and I have a bird bath too that they drink from and bath in. Always thought that because there were so many of them in my garden, they were commonplace everywhere else too. Must start putting out a bit extra for them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Orlando Howling Aeroplane

Across Ireland and the UK House Sparrow numbers are declining due to changes in farming practices and the way we build our houses. Certainly some gardens are experiencing an increase in numbers but overall the decline is sharp. At one time we would regularly count flocks of 100+ but now find 20 or so around a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

We had sparrows using a housemartins nest on our house for the past few months but just today it's been reoccupied by returning housemartins, maybe the sparrows were just using it during the cold spell. I didn't realise sparrows numbers were falling either, we regularly have ten or twelve out at our feeders all year round, so I'm glad we're doing our bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement