Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chocolate's Dark Secret

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you think that chocolate is the one product in the world made using child labour and inhumane practices, you're very naive.

While you're boycotting Nestle, why don't you boycott Coca Cola and Nike too? There's countless corporations out there exploiting people for profit.

Yes, the practices are awful and no, it's not going to make me stop eating chocolate.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure that this forum is the place for this discussion, but I'll leave it for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Wow - slight case of some misplaced hostility there :confused:

To answer you; no I don't think that Nestle are the only company profiting on the back of child labour, and no I'm not that naive - however I did not know about this specific case until I read about it today. Further - if a forum about food and drink is not the right place to post about something like this - exactly where is then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Humanities.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

c0y0te wrote:
    Wow - slight case of some misplaced hostility there :confused:

No hostility intended! People can sometimes just be very selective about what they get het up about. I feel if you're going to get worked up about one company, you should get worked up about them all. My university actually banned Nestle products a long time from being sold in the unions, if you want some support.

As Silverfish said, humanities is the place for this if you want rational, long, intelligent and well researched responses. I doubt you'll get much of a reaction here. I can move the thread over for you, if you like, or you can start a new one?

Advertisement