Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First Race

• 05-03-2012 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

As the title states, I am partaking in my first ever cycle race in Limerick next week...

Now I don't expect to win or anything but I am looking for advice for the following week in order to be best prepared to give myself as best a chance to get a good time...

I tend to do gym work Mondays & Tuesday and try to be out on the bike Thursday, Friday & Sunday...

Will my normal routine be OK this week or should I cut down or just take the week off?

Sorry for all the noob questions...

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Garret C

busyliving wrote: »
    Hey all,

As the title states, I am partaking in my first ever cycle race in Limerick next week...

Now I don't expect to win or anything but I am looking for advice for the following week in order to be best prepared to give myself as best a chance to get a good time...

I tend to do gym work Mondays & Tuesday and try to be out on the bike Thursday, Friday & Sunday...

Will my normal routine be OK this week or should I cut down or just take the week off?

Sorry for all the noob questions...

Cheers in advance

What race is on in Limerick this weekend? Sorry just spotted this:
    Limerick CC road race Sunday March 11.

Start time:12.30.
    Sign On Details: 9am Caherconlish Millennium Centre.

Categories: A+ A1, A2, A3, A4. Distance:

A+ 1 & 2 category, 4 laps X 31km 125 km
    A3 Category, 3 laps X 31Km 93km
    A4 Category, 2 laps X 31Km 62km

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Don't take the week off, your body will get all confused.

If it were me :keep the intensity up as normal until thursday, then probably take friday as a rest day, maybe an hour or 2 on Sat, just to spin the legs up, get the lungs and heart working - nothing too hefty, just a couple of mins of exertion. Eat and drink well, get a good recovery shake in and plenty of protein to rebuild the muscles.

As for the race, you're in for a world of hurt. What I found hardest on my first race was the constant surge/slack of the pace. The further back you are in the pack the more noticable this is, so try and stay near the front as this will keep you out of trouble. Only problem is, this is where most people want to be, to stay out of trouble, so it's a bit chaotic.

I don't know what your experience is of riding in groups, but stay off the brakes as much as possible, hold your line, call any holes/obstacles, and just try and stay as safe as you can for everyone. Don't be coerced into doing too much work up front, but at the same time make sure to do your bit. Don't feel the need to chase down each and every break; if you do, make sure to jump the gap, don't pull the whole peleton back over with you.

If you get around the course in the main group on your first race, I'd call that a successful intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I have (tried) to race this one myself and was training on the circuit last weekend. The start goes straight up a hill from Caherconlish with a few ramps with a couple of steep sections. Get up near the front from the get go and try and stay there. At the top of these ramps there is a right turn at a pub and the route undulates to Ballyneety before which there is another sharp climb. This second short climb is more dangerous as it is just before another turn at Ballyneety and is where a few of the 'brighter boys' tend to up the pace.

If you can stick on until after Ballyneety turn your good for the rest of the lap until you hit the hill again.

Best of luck and enjoy - you will have a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Cheers for all the advice guys...

Just a quick one for ye, I don't have my licence card yet, but I have my license number...will that be OK to sign up for the race on Sunday

well don't leave us hanging, how'd.you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I did this race today, A4, it was pretty fast, first lap (minus the controlled start) was done @ 39.4km/h. The A4 group was huge, and a bit hectic, loads of incidents/shouting/braking etc, but seeing as it's only my 5th race I'm delighted that I could hang with the peloton and I'm finally up-to-speed, phew !
    The only negative is I got cramp in my right calf again, fcek, will have to do something about that !
    They moved the finish up the hill, which makes a tough honest finish, but..........there was a fast 90' bend just before it, and the inevitable happened, there was a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I did this race today, A4, it was pretty fast, first lap (minus the controlled start) was done @ 39.4km/h. The A4 group was huge, and a bit hectic, loads of incidents/shouting/braking etc, but seeing as it's only my 5th race I'm delighted that I could hang with the peloton and I'm finally up-to-speed, phew !
    The only negative is I got cramp in my right calf again, fcek, will have to do something about that !
    They moved the finish up the hill, which makes a tough honest finish, but..........there was a fast 90' bend just before it, and the inevitable happened, there was a crash.

I'd second that about huge and hectic, think I was beside you when you cramped, it wasn't too far from the end was it ?

That crash only involved a couple of riders, thankfully it was the only one. Too big a bunch, too much oncoming traffic, luckily no major crashes.

I'd second that about huge and hectic, think I was beside you when you cramped, it wasn't too far from the end was it ?

That crash only involved a couple of riders, thankfully it was the only one. Too big a bunch, too much oncoming traffic, luckily no major crashes.

Got kicked out of the group after about 20km and was never getting back into it after that...Averaged over 30km on my own for most of the race on my own so happy out overall...

Learnt a lot today in my first race and now i'm very sore

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Did A4 race myself and shelled off after 20km, no complaints 45km/hr up a drag beyond me! Spoke to Marshall who timed gap between 3's & 4's and he said it was closing::eek:

Got kicked out of the group after about 20km and was never getting back into it after that...Averaged over 30km on my own for most of the race on my own so happy out overall...

Fair play for giving it a lash. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger sure! :D

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    Fair play for giving it a lash. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger sure! :D

Cheers, was worth doing...

Now onto ye great people for advice on how to get faster on the bike ha ha

...But seriously, can anyone give me tips on how to get faster?

Turn your legs quicklier

kenmc wrote: »
    Turn your legs quicklier

Ha ha ha cheers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I basically got faster by training alone. In my case training was largely done on a long commute, treating it as a TT. Training in a group is generally easier, and therein lies the problem - it's often a case of the lowest common denominator, with it being relatively easy to sit-in rather than push youself to the limit, while keeping the group together

Don't get me wrong - training in a group can be good in some areas - it will help in terms of general bike handling in a group and in particular taking corners and how not to get dropped on hills. If structured you can benefit from some specific drills, such as intervals, or learn how to do up and overs.

However if it's simply speed you are looking to improve, find yourself a reasonably long circuit and time yourself on it, then try and improve your times. You could also join Strava, and compare your performances wth others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

On Saturday, on my 6th attempt, I finally managed to finish in the A4 bunch! Funny thing but I actually found it relatively easy mainly because, for once, I used my head as much as my legs!! In all the previous attempts I'd drifted to the back of the bunch and found myself sprinting to catch up out of every corner and roundabout, finally just giving up exhausted! On Saturday I "sat in" about half way up and every now and again pushed up the outside to keep myself from moving backwards. Only two big efforts needed all race, after the turn and up the climb, and finished comfortably in the group.
    Now can I repeat it again ....?

Advertisement