Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

loyatemu wrote: »
    Brilliant - why not have no stations at all, think of the savings!

I believe that is the plan. 100% of the cost saved.

That is, except for all the money wasted planning it, applying for planning permission, re-planning it, cancelling it, re-planning it and .......

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

fwiw DCC planning issued a report about the site adjacent to pearse station which essentially said the developers are chancers for not even mentioning it or contacting iarnrod eireann in their planning application

http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00606441.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    fwiw DCC planning issued a report about the site adjacent to pearse station which essentially said the developers are chancers for not even mentioning it or contacting iarnrod eireann in their planning application

http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00606441.pdf
    Yeah, I wasn't too alarmed or surprised to read that the submitted planning application prepared by the developers didn't refer to the DART Underground implications. There is no way that would get past the planning depts checks and the eyes of the NTA without its impact being evaluated.

I had cause recently to cast my eye over a planning application in East Wall. Regardless of the fact that the proposed structure was an unremarkable house extension in a garden on a side street surrounded by other houses, because the property fell within a designated area of influence for Dart Underground (its near the north tunnel portal), DCC sought commentary from both the NTA and Irish Rail. Obviously their responses said carry on as it would clearly have no impact but it showed that there is an active process with people specifically employed to look after this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Honestly I think that today's report is quite embarrassing for the NTA.

They are nearly 10 years established and it appears that they still don't know which projects are their priority. It changes every time we have a new Minister.

2 years ago they were talking about BRT.

Today Anne Graham is being quoted talking about a Green Line upgrade & an interconector won't actually interconnect anything.

Shouldn't the NTA just have a masterplan for transport infrastructure 100 years from now, and build it as funding becomes available, in order of priority. Do we really need to make it so complicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Shouldn't the NTA just have a masterplan for transport infrastructure 100 years from now, and build it as funding becomes available, in order of priority. Do we really need to make it so complicated?

Ah but then ministers wont get their good sound bite and their constituents wont get that luas stop that is not needed and only look good on paper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

This essentially what Manchester has done to great success. Stuck to a plan and metrolink has been a great success as a result.

http://www.citymetric.com/transport/manchester-metrolink-six-lessons-other-cities-497

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Honestly I think that today's report is quite embarrassing for the NTA.

They are nearly 10 years established and it appears that they still don't know which projects are their priority. It changes every time we have a new Minister.

2 years ago they were talking about BRT.

Today Anne Graham is being quoted talking about a Green Line upgrade & an interconector won't actually interconnect anything.

Have to say I was a bit dismayed when I saw that as well. Looks like classic paralysis by analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

As I said on the MN thread elsewhere, redesign, consult, problem, excuse, redesign, consult, over and over again and again. I got into trouble on these forums for stating that neither DU or MN will ever be built. Now apart from anyone being pedantic about the word "ever", do any of you really believe that any Government will have the foresight to deliver these projects within a time frame that makes them useful? We could fast forward 50 years and see them delivered, but hopelessly outdated by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Logue no2

Grandeeod wrote: »
    As I said on the MN thread elsewhere, redesign, consult, problem, excuse, redesign, consult, over and over again and again. I got into trouble on these forums for stating that neither DU or MN will ever be built. Now apart from anyone being pedantic about the word "ever", do any of you really believe that any Government will have the foresight to deliver these projects within a time frame that makes them useful? We could fast forward 50 years and see them delivered, but hopelessly outdated by then.

No you get slated because you call people twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Logue no2

The application hasn't been dismissed by the City Council, yet. The current status is that the DCC are requesting additional information from the developer. A search on the land registry appears to show that Eircom are the owners of the site. Can anyone confirm this and if so, is this a case of a developer putting in a planning application for a site they don't own?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Deedsie wrote: »
    The most positive way to look at it is that at least we know something is going on behind the scenes.

No way will they be stupid enough to build it without a Christchurch & Stephens Green station.

And that nonsense planning application last week was dismissed by DCC.
    Building it as far as Pearse without the Christchurch and SSG stations would be sheer lunacy. Waste of time.

Build it right the first time unlike the mess that the M50. Building this and MN right the first time would be so beneficial down the line especially when they wouldn't have to have retrospectively capacity upgrades.

The sooner Ross goes the better though. An absolute busted flush of a minister from the beginning.

Deedsie wrote: »
    And that nonsense planning application last week was dismissed by DCC.

It wasn't dismissed and its worth pointing out that the majority of the DCC information was primarily concerned with the general aspects of building in close proximity to an operating railway. That is par for the course stuff. DU was actually a smaller part of the DCC observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

Grandeeod wrote: »
    It wasn't dismissed and its worth pointing out that the majority of the DCC information was primarily concerned with the general aspects of building in close proximity to an operating railway. That is par for the course stuff. DU was actually a smaller part of the DCC observations.
    Yes, the word count of various sections and individual points is irrelevant. The planning process documentation of any substantial development, if carried out by professionals, is technical and thorough in nature and will dispassionately address all relevant points to whichever extent is required in order to be correct and unambiguous on all counts. The treatment of the observation from the Dart Underground project is no less damning for this application for being concise. The request to the applicant to provide additional information addressing the points raised is just following due process.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I would nearly speculate that that Indo article is mistaken and that they meant to say that Spencer Dock is under threat instead of Stephen's Green. SG is the fupping interchange station with Metro North so obviously can't be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

spacetweek wrote: »
    I would nearly speculate that that Indo article is mistaken and that they meant to say that Spencer Dock is under threat instead of Stephen's Green. SG is the fupping interchange station with Metro North so obviously can't be removed.

Regardless of whether its Spenser Dock or Stephens Green, removing any of the stations from the original proposal is a joke. Dart underground doesn't make any sense if it terminates at Pearse. Sure, the PPT allows connections between the Cork line and Grand Canal Dock, but its nowhere near what DU can provide.

With Ross at the helm, the only thing obvious is that it will either not be built, or be built in the worst possible way. The same applies to pretty much all transport projects and roads in the country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

ricimaki wrote: »
    Regardless of whether its Spenser Dock or Stephens Green, removing any of the stations from the original proposal is a joke. Dart underground doesn't make any sense if it terminates at Pearse. Sure, the PPT allows connections between the Cork line and Grand Canal Dock, but its nowhere near what DU can provide.

With Ross at the helm, the only thing obvious is that it will either not be built, or be built in the worst possible way. The same applies to pretty much all transport projects and roads in the country

Well I'm posting comments on youtube about Ireland's pathetic approach to transport planning - I think the more people that do likewise, the more it might embarrass the powers that be into serious action. We had leprechaun economics and now with the notion that we can do transport projects on the cheap and get away with it, it's yet more make believe nonsense that could only be described as leprechaun transport policy - have they not learned that doing things on the cheap does not pay - look at the M50 - they thought that they could get away with building a city ring road in the absence of any free flow style interchanges. Now, are they going to do the same bulls*t with the DART Inter-connector??? :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »

Don't mind Metro North. Connectivity between DART from the Kildare line and Luas Green Line is much more important for commuting. Imagine telling someone in Co. Kildare they could commute from their nearest train station to Sandyford in 45 minutes? It would solve the N7 congestion issue overnight. Of course with the likes of Ross making these decisions...

I may be after a few pints but as someone that's of the age now that I'll see a few decades of development in this country, it's very sad to see what's going on planning wise, but I'll learn over the next few years that's how we do business in this country. It's only a few months ago we heralded the opening of a 139 year old tunnel to finally provide commuter services from Co. Kildare to the central business district of our capital city as some kind of development.. if this is the level we are operating at does anyone expect the relocation of UK companies to Ireland?

We could start today with our fastest growing economy in Europe and finish in 10 years time with a fully interconnected capital city transport network connecting city centre, airport, business parks, suburbs and commuter towns. But no, we must instead kick a few cans down the road and invest in half baked solutions that'll cost a fortune and end up providing 10% of the benefits the full solutions will. Most cities have gone well beyond the development of a rail network but here we are trying to find ways to cut parts of it out in order to deliver a solution that costs 90% of the original cost and provide 15% of the benefit. It says enough about the current government that there is guaranteed funding for a railway bridge on a disused railway in Co. Galway that 99% will never likely take a viable passenger service yet there is no ambition whatsoever to create a worthwhile rail network in Dublin. Dublin the city that has so little accommodation vacancies and is so poorly served by public transport that people are spending upto 4 hours a day unwillingly commuting by car simply to maintain a job and a family.

Whilst I understand how the current government were voted in 6 years ago in the circumstances, I think it's time for change. The next crowd may not do much of a better job but the negligence involved here in pissing away such a golden chance with this kind of "gold plated Metro" nonsense is unforgivable. Shane Ross may not be around in 20 years time but Dublin and indeed Ireland will be suffering from the effects of this nonsensical decision not to proceed with the projects that will revolutionise our capital city.

As I said, young and learning.....

PS Am I the only one who finds it laughable that this is the same crowd who feel the need to significantly downsize Metro North and DART Underground yet at the same time feel there is a need for a motorway from Galway to Tuam? The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

marno21 wrote: »
    PS Am I the only one who finds it laughable that this is the same crowd who feel the need to significantly downsize Metro North and DART Underground yet at the same time feel there is a need for a motorway from Galway to Tuam? The mind boggles.
    Nevermind motorway to Tuam. Anyone for a Luas in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Well I'm posting comments on youtube about Ireland's pathetic approach to transport planning - I think the more people that do likewise, the more it might embarrass the powers that be into serious action.

I think paid ads along the lines of all the FG propaganda, on FB etc are what is needed. Even banner ads on main irish websites...

Just imagine for one second, what the likes of the following banner would do on a prominent irish websites! "Brexit. thinking of relocating to Ireland? Think again... Lead it into a site where we can discuss 3rd world transport system, outrageous child care costs, outrageous marginal tax rates, the housing crisis in Dublin" we can tell them to get ready to fork out E1500-1600 to live in an average one bedroom flat if they want to live alone. Give them all the information, let them make an informed decision, see if they want to live with all of the s**t that the government here has us dealing with...

Ive said before Id be prepared to make donations and get involved with other like minded citizens, who would be prepared to do this by paypal etc, the level of their ineptitude, lying etc could be exposed en masse. Target the greater dublin area. Many people simply dont have a clue of what benefits it would bring (MN and DU etc). I would love to see this. Its one thing a few of us posting on boards, skyscrapercity and under the indo.ie etc. The fight needs to be brought to them...

I wouldnt be stopping at the infrastructure issues here either, the housing situations is beyond a joke. The public need a new platform, because the media dont have a clue, dont care or are not up to the job seemingly...

I admire your enthuiasm and I've said that before. However keyboard warrior tactics via social media will not work on their own. To get to the media and politicians you do need to be on the ground meeting them and making direct representations. Public meetings in affected areas too. Back all that up with a social media campaign and progress will be made. But social media alone will have you treated as an easy touch, because anyone can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Grandeeod, I see why the politicians do what they do. But do you really think members of the public should be telling journalists to do their job? I dont know if government and media could ignore something that relatively drastic. See the media dont even seem to have an interest and thus a clue, about the absolute shambles and the effects of MN and DU... Somebody or several of us, putting something effective and absolutely damning together, might be too much for them to ignore...

Logue no2 wrote: »
    No you get slated because you call people twats.

Would you care to explain that remark within the context of this thread please?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Grandeeod, I see why the politicians do what they do. But do you really think members of the public should be telling them to do their job? I dont know if government and media could ignore something that relatively drastic. See the media dont even seem to have an interest and thus a clue, about the absolute shambles and the effects of MN and DU... Somebody or several of us, putting something effective and absolutely damning together, might be too much for them to ignore...

I agree with you. But to achieve anything, you must sit down with a politician or contact a journalist directly. In relation to politicians or the NTA etc, you actually have to call them out directly via press releases that generate print and radio interviews. Can you imagine the fun you could have on the Last Word with NTA muppets, FG TDs etc. in relation to MN and DU?

The media only react to what they are told and right now all they are being told is BS from one side. Social media will work, but it will have to backed up by a proper organised group with faces and a spokesperson thatis available for face to face stuff.

In railway terms, recent history can teach us that the two most successful public groups to gain big media exposure were WOT and P11. Examine why.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Finishing the tunnel at Pearse? Seriously? Is it even possible to build a reliable underground turnaround facility at Pearse St? Would such a turnaround facility cost more or less then just finishing the tunnel in Clontarf?

Either way the primary goal of DARTunderground is to provide another heavy rail liffey crossing, bypassing Connolly and the Loop line bridge.

It beggars belief really.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Finishing the tunnel at Pearse? Seriously? Is it even possible to build a reliable underground turnaround facility at Pearse St? Would such a turnaround facility cost more or less then just finishing the tunnel in Clontarf?

Either way the primary goal of DARTunderground is to provide another heavy rail liffey crossing, bypassing Connolly and the Loop line bridge.

It beggars belief really.
    With a bunch of leprechauns in charge of transport policy in this country, are you surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Middle Man wrote: »
    Well I'm posting comments on youtube about Ireland's pathetic approach to transport planning - I think the more people that do likewise, the more it might embarrass the powers that be into serious action. We had leprechaun economics and now with the notion that we can do transport projects on the cheap and get away with it, it's yet more make believe nonsense that could only be described as leprechaun transport policy - have they not learned that doing things on the cheap does not pay - look at the M50 - they thought that they could get away with building a city ring road in the absence of any free flow style interchanges. Now, are they going to do the same bulls*t with the DART Inter-connector??? :mad:

youtube?

lawred2 wrote: »
    youtube?
    YES!
    There are plenty of transport related videos out there - for example, I've just posted an unfavourable comment towards Irish transport policy on a video that related to Glasgow's subway last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

I suggest we record a hit single to educate the public on this:

In my country there is problem,
    And that problem is transport.
    It take very very long,
    Because Kazakhstan Ireland is big

Throw Shane Ross down the well,
    so my country can be free,
    We must make travel easy,
    Then we'll have a big party

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    I suggest we record a hit single to educate the public on this:

In my country there is problem,
    And that problem is transport.
    It take very very long,
    Because Kazakhstan Ireland is big

Throw Shane Ross down the well,
    so my country can be free,
    We must make travel easy,
    Then we'll have a big party
    Throw the NTA in too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Middle Man wrote: »
    YES!
    There are plenty of transport related videos out there - for example, I've just posted an unfavourable comment towards Irish transport policy on a video that related to Glasgow's subway last night!

I'm sure there are. Can't for the life of me figure out what effect anonymous posts under those clips on youtube is going to achieve though.

Advertisement