Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DC81

Everyone's gone very quiet
    I will write up my experiences soon. It's night time now and il only scare the crap outta myself lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

We were raised on ghost stories, I used to love them and I have some vague memories of odd incidents when I was growing up. For some reason I can't remember a single story now, maybe spending years studying science has just wiped it all out.

I'm not sure if I believe much of it any more but I'll share my experience anyway. I lived in a particular house for almost my entire 20s, most of that time there was nobody else living with me. I would regularly wake up in the dead of night to find someone standing over me at the head of the bed. I couldn't move a muscle, I couldn't even shout. I could just see them out of the corner of my eye, maybe more sense them than actually see them. I've never been so scared in my life, it felt like it was just pure evil standing beside me and that it definitely wanted to do me harm.

I put it down to sleep paralysis now, I moved out of that house 7 years ago and it might have happened a dozen times in that time. While I was in the house it would happen a dozen times a year. Maybe I'm used to it now or maybe it's that I know more about it but it doesn't seems as bad as it was then. That feeling of pure hatred doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I'm happy now that I know it's sleep paralysis but I had never heard of that at the time. It doesn't really count as a paranormal experience but I suppose I'm just saying I know and have felt the fear, even terror that some people experience in what they believe to be paranormal experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sniperviper

Hi folks,
    I hav`nt posted in a good while as all is quiet in my home thankfully. I do have an experience that i remember when i was a young lad which i had discussed with my father only last night so i thought id share it.
    my great grandfather lived in terraced cottage house, when you walked in the front door you where in a porch which was inside the house rather than outside this is where you hung your coat or took off your shoes, there was another door which you opened and your where in the living room.

I visited my great grandfather alot with my dad my dad lived with my great grandfather for a year or two when he was 17 or 18. One day on a visit we where sitting in the living room myself my dad and my great grandfather when i heard the front door open and then close.I looked over at the door expecting it to open i remember it had the old brass round handle with a lock below it anyway after a few seconds the door didnt open so i started to get up to go open the door when my great grandfather said "there wont be anybody there dont worry" I looked at my own dad and he told me to open and see so i went opened the door and nobody was there i went to the front door opened it any nobody was in the garden.

I came back in and my great grand father said "did you see anybody" I said no and he said "not to worry its an old friend of mine he can be a bit cranky doesnt like too many people". Another time i was in the house in the kitchen and the kitchen door opened I remember seeing the door knob turning and opening and then slamming shut by itself i was scared out of my wits i screamed and my dad came into the kitchen with my great grandfather slowly following him as i told him what happened he said not to worry he would make sure it would`nt happen again and nothing like that did happen again to me (both my dad andgreat grandfather where in the back garden which is off the kitchen so they could not have opened and closed the door).

I was discussing this with my dad last night and he told me that he had left the house because of things like this happening they would happen every day doors would open then close stuff would be moved around the house after he made his bed he would come back in after a few hours and the bed would be messed up. My dad told me that it was the former owner of the house they beleved his name was charlie and my dad at the age of 18 ran out of the house because of charlie.

my Dad came in one night around ten o clock got some food and headed into his bedroom he put the plate of food on a table and grabbed a book from the floor sat on his bed and went to get the plate as he reached for it he said the plate was pushed to the floor in front of him he jumped up and shouted "would you ever leave me alone" he picked up the food and plate as he stood up he said I felt somebody standing right behind me i felt him breathing on my neck and i just froze the nexted second he said what ever was behind me he put his hand on my shoulder at this point my dad ran straight out of the room out of the house screaming and shouting.
    After this my dad moved back home and never slepted there again. He said charlie wanted his room back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

When my niece was a baby, 21 yrs ago, my sister and I woke up in the middle if the night to give her a feed. We lived over an old pub. We heard footsteps downstairs and went for the old man. Dad went down with his gun and my sister, mother and I sat listening to someone walk around below. No one was found, all windows and doors locked.
    This was my only time hearing this but my sisters and patents often heard footsteps in the pub. My niece used to hear voices while playing alone too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My ps4 started up on its own last night twice! I got such a fright both times because I was just about to nod off and all I hear are beeps and the controller was at the other end of the room, so I had unplugged it at the back, I nearly jumped outta skin D:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Hello again everyone,

I recently met a friend of mine for a coffee. She told me something very strange that happened her about two years ago. She said she was at home and in her bed and fell asleep. In the middle of the night she woke to a young man's silhouette on her bed. He was smiling and had his chin in the palm of his hand and was looking directly at her. She got such a fright she banged her head against the headboard of her bed.

When she realized he was still there and it was not a dream that frightened her even more but as soon as she realized this he began to fade away gently.

She is involved in a musical society and helps backstage with props and lights. Within that same week she was off down to Waterford to help on a show with some of the cast and helpers. On the way down the bus was full of chat and laughter and my friend was near the window seat. She said her breath was taken away as she got a quick look at a poster on a telegraph pole with a missing person picture. She swears it was the same young man in the picture but he was a little older. She said she knew it was him by his eyes- she only got a quick glance but swears it was him.

She told me she prayed for him as if you see someone it means they need prayers and she thinks he was smiling when she saw him first as he was at his happiest then? She said she felt that. I asked her did she see a name but she said it was so quick she did not see the number on the poster or the name but she saw his eyes and that is how she knew him.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Take care everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

has any person been sitting relaxed watching telly in their downstairs room, and hearing what sounds like a person walking in the upstairs rooms, this happened to me not so long ago, i tried to ignore it but the walking got much more loud and i know i was alone at home at the time, but after it carried on for a while and got more audible and pronounced i got scared and left the house until another family member came home, it happened evening time when it was dark

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

probably the plumbing, in this cold weather things creak alot due to the temperature change

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

probably the plumbing, in this cold weather things creak alot due to the temperature change
    i was hoping that, but it was not plumbing,
    it was in one room only, i have had nothing since then, a once off
    it was clearly foot steps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

was the heating on? or had it been on? investigated a case a few years back with that very same claim - ended up the wooden floor had expanded in one particular room when the heating was on, and then an hour or so after the heating went off, from downstairs you could hear what really sounded like footsteps from the upstairs room. It was the heating though, cause the boards to expand and the sound was them contracting.

goat2 wrote: »
    i was hoping that, but it was not plumbing,
    it was in one room only, i have had nothing since then, a once off
    it was clearly foot steps

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    was the heating on? or had it been on? investigated a case a few years back with that very same claim - ended up the wooden floor had expanded in one particular room when the heating was on, and then an hour or so after the heating went off, from downstairs you could hear what really sounded like footsteps from the upstairs room. It was the heating though, cause the boards to expand and the sound was them contracting.
    heating was on, i had never ever heard it before, and i have not since, i live in a well insulated home, and pipes insulated throughout, and have never heard boards creak, it was clearly footsteps, as i have had say family members in that room when i would be downstairs, and that is how it sounded, i stood and listened for a while and clearly thought someone was up there,

At approx 11.30 last night (Sunday 14 December, 2014) I was on my way into town to collect my son. I had left my house, passed by my neighbours and was approaching a corner in the road that swung to the left. About 100/150 yards from the corner I saw a bright light about 10 feet above the ground (very approximate) that initially was like a car headlight or large flashlight, but which then zipped across the road in a linear shape. It seem to be moving as it went, so much so I initially thought it was maybe the car headlights catching off a bird, or a piece of plastic in the air.

Then as I continued driving, I realised that there was an identical light coming across from the other side of the road - I didnt see its formation as the bend was in the way, but I saw it meet the other light in the middle of the road, and then as one, the combined light shot off to the left. The duration of seeing the lights was maybe 3 or 4 seconds.

Within maybe another 10 secs, I had reached the area and I drove passed very, very slowly, trying to find a bird in the hedge, a piece of plastic or (as I suspected once I had seen the other light) some form of rope or cabling running across the road. There was nothing.

I collected my son, told him of the experience and then repeated the journey. I had a suspicion that my lights may have reflected off the back of a triangular road side which was also on the right side of the road, and in the same area as the initial light was. Driving back up the road, I realised my lights didnt even reach that far. if I had seen the grey back of the roadworks sign, it had to have been illuminated by the light I had seen forming on the righthand side. I have no idea what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

At approx 11.30 last night (Sunday 14 December, 2014) I was on my way into town to collect my son. I had left my house, passed by my neighbours and was approaching a corner in the road that swung to the left. About 100/150 yards from the corner I saw a bright light about 10 feet above the ground (very approximate) that initially was like a car headlight or large flashlight, but which then zipped across the road in a linear shape. It seem to be moving as it went, so much so I initially thought it was maybe the car headlights catching off a bird, or a piece of plastic in the air.

Then as I continued driving, I realised that there was an identical light coming across from the other side of the road - I didnt see its formation as the bend was in the way, but I saw it meet the other light in the middle of the road, and then as one, the combined light shot off to the left. The duration of seeing the lights was maybe 3 or 4 seconds.

Within maybe another 10 secs, I had reached the area and I drove passed very, very slowly, trying to find a bird in the hedge, a piece of plastic or (as I suspected once I had seen the other light) some form of rope or cabling running across the road. There was nothing.

I collected my son, told him of the experience and then repeated the journey. I had a suspicion that my lights may have reflected off the back of a triangular road side which was also on the right side of the road, and in the same area as the initial light was. Driving back up the road, I realised my lights didnt even reach that far. if I had seen the grey back of the roadworks sign, it had to have been illuminated by the light I had seen forming on the righthand side. I have no idea what it was.

Interesting. The only possible paranormal sighting I have seen was a golden ball of light, which my daughter seen as well. (When she was about 7).

This was about 2 am in the morning as my daughter had woke up we were both looking out of the window from the first floor, across the road to a well lit churchyard. Even under the spotlights the ball of light was very bright.

It descended evenly and slowly until it came to the low wall of the church yard and disappeared.

The ball of light looked about the size of a football and was about 10 feet off the ground and moved slowly in a straight but slightly descending line. Its movement was like floating, slowly with no side moves, in a straight line, like an object on a radar screen.

The only possible explanation I could make was that it was a very large, gigantic moth that was lit up under the church lights. Which I doubt it was, but its the closest worldy explanation I can get.

A friend of mine, when he was young was out fishing with a few pals, they got lost in the fields after they had been fishing in the canal outside of Dublin. Completely lost and in the dark, a golden ball of light appeared which they followed for 20 minutes or so until it led them back to a path and then disappeared.

PS: The one thing that occurs to me, with both Macoreds report and my sighting, that if such incidents were caused by reflection of light source on a bird or moth, or other creature, surely such sightings would be more common place and explainable?

I asked around for ages where we lived, had anyone ever seen such a thing and they all thought that I was mad. To be honest, if my daughter hadn't seen it as well I might have thought that I was going mad.

I had never seen anything vaguely like it before or after.

Kettleson wrote: »
    PS: The one thing that occurs to me, with both Macoreds report and my sighting, that if such incidents were caused by reflection of light source on a bird or moth, or other creature, surely such sightings would be more common place and explainable?

I asked around for ages where we lived, had anyone ever seen such a thing and they all thought that I was mad. To be honest, if my daughter hadn't seen it as well I might have thought that I was going mad.

I had never seen anything vaguely like it before or after.

I thought what I saw was a bird - until I saw the same thing from the other side of the road. then I thought it must be a rope or some kind of reflective material strung across the road. the way it was coming from both sides and the way the two met and went off to the side means it wasn't a bird. something reflective strung across the road would make sense, except there wasn't anything there seconds later.

I still really just don't know what to make of it. I checked tonight with my son, and he confirms when we were driving up to the bend, we couldnt see the back of the sign as the headlights didnt reach that far. Therefore I couldnt have been seeing things, as I could see the sign since it was lit up better by whatever the light was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Guys, if ye posted this on the astronomy forum they would all shout the same answer - chinese lanterns.

Guys, if ye posted this on the astronomy forum they would all shout the same answer - chinese lanterns.

No way what I seen was a Chinese lantern. From Maccoreds description his wasnt either.

afaik chinese lanterns dont vanish after about 4 secs especially if they are only about 10 foot off the ground, over a road. skepticism is good, but chinese lanterns would just be a silly suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Sounds a bit like ball lightening...
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

The image from 1901, that looks as near to exact as I seen. It did however move quite slowly, maybe at 10mph or less.

The footage, especially at 3:27 looks very much like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I was going to post that vid but couldn't from my phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

I’m not sure what to make of this experience, but I thought I’d post it here anyway to see what people thought. Over the course of the last month or so, on at least four occasions, I’ve woken up in the middle of the night to find my bedroom light on. The room itself has two light switches: one next to the door, and one above the bed. I live with two other people, but I always lock my bedroom door at night, thus ruling out the possibility of someone coming into the room in the early hours and turning on the light as some sort of prank. I sleep with the lights off and always have done, meaning when I fall asleep the room is dark (save for the weak amber glow of a distant street light). Yet despite this, I’ve woken up four times in recent weeks to find that the light is on. Now, I’m perfectly willing to accept the possibility that I’m doing this myself, i.e. reaching up to the switch above the bed and turning on the light whilst I’m still asleep. The troubling thing is, I never have any recollection of doing this upon waking up. So how can I wake up to find the light switched on, yet not wake up whilst in the act of switching it on? I don’t have a history of sleepwalking or anything of that nature, which is why I’m beginning to entertain the notion that a supernatural agent may be responsible. That said, the house in which I live has absolutely NO history of paranormal activity whatsoever, and I have personally never experienced anything out of the ordinary before.
    So what do people think? Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

keep a camera, a laptop or your phone video running when you go to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

keep a camera, a laptop or your phone video running when you go to sleep.

Was just about to write it!

Simple thing to do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You'd want a camera with huge memory.

Have you ever noticed the light on during the day? Maybe one if the switches is faulty.

You'd want a camera with huge memory.

many cameras use memory sticks up to 64gbs - thats plenty. if you use a laptop with a built in camera or attach a normal camera to a laptop you'd also have plenty of memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

One thing to look for is which switch is in a different position when you wake up. If the switch above the bed is in the same position as before you went to sleep, then you know it's not you, unless you're sleep walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I do have a video camera so I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

How did you get on with the video camera? you could also put something on the light switch and see if its on your hand/fingers next morning..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Here's one of mine,I posted it up a couple of years ago but ill throw it up again,if only to keep this great thread going
    After reading the huge(but brilliant) haunted
    cork thread from start to finish,i came to
    wonder that there must be as many,if not more
    experiences people had in Dublin,ill start off
    with something odd that happened me.a few
    years back i was working as a floor sander/
    French polisher,and one particular morning in
    2001,my boss dropped me at a house in an
    estate off blackhorse avenue to start a job.all
    was going as normal,i had finished sanding the
    two bedrooms and had started Hoovering up the
    dust so i could lay the first coat.the Hoover was
    plugged into a socket in the corner behind
    me.all of a sudden the Hoover stopped so i looked around and it was plugged out of the wall.so,thinking i had pulled it from the wall myself i pulled some slack out,plugged it back in
    and got back to work,and then bang.it was out of the socket again,and no way had i pulled it out this time,as the slack wire was still coiled on the floor.
    There was nobody in the house and i
    had locked myself in from the inside so i was feeling pretty freaked out now. I plugged it back in and Hoovered the rest up without incident.
    I decided it was lunchtime,locked the place up then fecked off for a bite to eat.
    When I returned,40 mins later thereabouts,I opened the front door and i was greeted by the sound of the
    HOOVER upstairs! i almost sh#t myself.i darted up the stairs in about 3 bounds and there it was,plugged in again.i unplugged it,grabbed it,and i ran outside as quick as i could and locked the
    door behind me.my tools were still
    inside.
    I sat on the low end of a skip and lit a
    cigarette and rang my boss and to say he was furious was an understatement.my boss was a big slab of a fella who didn't suffer fools gladly.
    As i was pleading my case with him i glanced up at the upstairs window and
    froze.there were two figures staring down at me,one of an adult and one of a child,i couldn't tell the sex of either.My boss was still shouting down the phone at me but i was speechless and he hung up the phone,i didn't tell him about
    the two figures.
    He was on the scene in about 15
    minutes, and i genuinely thought he was going to smack me one.Another argument ensued,at one stage he even asked was i on drugs!
    nonetheless i wouldn't go back in for love nor money,so it was agreed
    he would finish my job, and he drove me to the one he had been on
    He picked me up the next
    morning as normal,and i asked him did anything happen him in the house,and he grunted no.So,not wanting to incur his wrath again,I wisely left it at that.
    Cue three months later,when we were having our Christmas drink,one of the lads was slaggin me over it and my boss,who had a few on him froze.
    It transpired that,after he finished up that day he secured the house,and was loading up our gear when he glanced back,and saw a woman and a child looking out the window of the locked,empty house at him,and when he went to collect the
    outstanding balance a couple of weeks later,there they were again.makes my hairs stand on end everytime i pass that estate,which is almost daily
    unfortunately.sorry about the long post.
    Harry.

Now,that was my original post from a few years back,what I didn't mention back then,for fear of being labeled a bullsh1tter was the time and date that this happened me.It was around 1pm,September 11th,2001.I don't know whether that was significant,or purely coincidental,but it was really fkin strange to say the least! And still sticks in my mind,clear as day13 years later.

Advertisement