Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teen keeps going over on her ankles

• 05-11-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience of this?! Her ankles just seem weak since she had a fall on them a while back.. She didn't sprain it cos it didn't cause her any pain afterwards, and sometimes she says it is her left and sometimes her right ankle.. She fell again today in pe.. Not nice for her she is in second year and I imagine it's embarrassing for her .. Bit loathe to go to dr, would it mean mri's? No pain in them just weak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

definitely chat to a gp. maybe she needs physio and the gp would be the best port of call to be on the safe side.
    hope it turns out to be nothing:)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just to get the obvious out of the way, what footwear is she using?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Used to do the same thing myself - plenty of pain however!
    Physio showed me an exercise to strengthen them and I have twisted one in over a decade!

It's very simple stand with your feet flat the ground, lift one leg straight out in front without bending the knee until it's a bout 6 inches of the ground - then just stand there and balance. When you can do it for 2 minutes stand on a cushion or pillow rather than a hard floor work up to 2 minutes again.
    When you can do that no bother, you're done - simply keep it topped up by doing it once a week or so (i do it maybe 5 times a year!) but it certainly worked wonders for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It sounds like the ligaments are weakened, be careful because as you go over on them they weaken even more an strip away from the bone little by little, this will eventually lead to either major ligament damage or a break.

Physio is what she needs and one exercise I was given after I tore all my ligament in my left ankle were the ABC's .. sitting down get her to draw the letters in the air with her big toe.. simple but very effective. 4 years later I still do them, ligament tears are worse than a break when they happen.

I was forever going over on my left ankle, without much pain too, it would go almost til my ankle bone touched the ground, until one day out running I went over on it and snapped all the ligaments round the ankle and under my foot... muscle and ligament strengthening is what she needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not enough vitamin D or calcium and possible malnutrition.

As said above
    May be wrong shoes/runners also.
    Could be not enough strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Used to happen to me a lot, it only stopped after physio on the ankle after I damaged ligaments (unrelated incident)... Wish I had gone to a physio earlier for mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Bring your daughter to the GP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement