Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family distraught as Irish lad runs off to join rebels in Syria

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Fair play to him for having the courage of his convictions. The end result, or what group he'll join up with might not be so good but I have to admire the sense of adventure.

Off to kill people, an adventure ? Sure you're using the right wording there? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

He's willing to risk his life for something he believes in, right or wrong

How many of us posters on Boards have the courage to follow our own convictions to such an extent?

Pat on the back for Hitler so? Another chap with the courage of his convictions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

hes like a derry che guevara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

conorhal wrote: »
    Pat on the back for Hitler so? Another chap with the courage of his convictions!
    Hitler, a great lad...the peoples car, motorways etc.

Didn't realise he was so into road trips until he set out for Russia :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I feel bad for the family, but it's natural selection. If he gets himself killed he's the idiot that knew what he was getting himself into, knew the danger and did it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Foxhound38 wrote: »

Pic 5 is the best because it has lovely bread in it.

A vendor sells Naem during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in Al-Medan district in Damascus. Naem, a Syrian speciality made during Ramadan, is made of fried bread with grape syrup drizzled on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

In recent response to ISIS recruiting video,US and EU forces have released recruiting video of their own,requirements are targeted same as those who wish to join ISIS with added extras,such as:
    -Faster way to gain your rewards and targets given to your chosen god. :D
    -No need to travel at all,as you will be picked up free of charge from you current location.
    -No need to have spoken arabic language and no training involved.

Now there are couple positions available if you decide to choose:
    Beginners level:land mine tester-involves standing on the mine for the amount of time you choose :D
    Advanced level:disarming land mine with your qualification skills prior to training.

There are couple more positions for feeling lucky guys as to avoiding getting hit by tracking missile,inside cave survival time and so on.
    To sign on just give a call you nearest army base ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

To compare these w@nkers to the men who went up against Hitler is an insult to all of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Grayson wrote: »
    Fighting Assad isn't a bad cause to sign up for. He's a brutal dictator.

the problem is that the opposition like ISIS aren't any better.

These groups have a horrific history, they seem to spring up where ever there is conflict to carry out vile sadistic acts under a veener of Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It sounds to me like he's got a screw loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

should be banned from coming back into the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It sounds to me like he's got a screw loose.

He'll have his head loose if he gets caught alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Off to kill people, an adventure ? Sure you're using the right wording there? :o

People die in wars. Yes, it is an adventure. The wording is correct. Similar to but not the same as many who went to fight in other foreign wars from this island they did so for their own personal, political, religious, or economic reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

SpaceTime wrote: »
    In the event that he were to attack Irish troops, could that not be seen as 'waging war against the state' ?.
    FunLover18 wrote: »
    I don't think so. The Irish troops are part of a UN force.

^^^This.

Although we wear the tricolor on our shoulder we serve under a UN flag and an attack on us is not a declaration of war against the ROI.

Someone asked would we respond in kind (to an attack), the answer is yes. Our troops are routinely attacked and our rules of engagement permit us to return effective fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Why did they picture him on a horse? What the fcuk good can a horse do against morter rounds and chemical weapons?

That's not a recent photo. That's from the families trip to Bundoran last Summer. It was all the Indo could get their hands on.

someone probably bought him a keffiyeh ( black and white scarf) and a green canvas schoolbag as a teenager and he felt if was his destiny

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Idiot.

If he's lucky he'll be blown to smithereens. If not so lucky, He'll end up in front of a camera in front of a load of lads shouting crazy religious crap in Arabic, and will soon have a real pain in his neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Joining a group that truly love their beheadings, I'd say screw him tbh. He'll most likely end up featured on LiveLeak.

Theres no evidence as to what group he joined. If that's what he wants to do, as long as he doesn't join up with some religious nuts, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Why did they picture him on a horse? What the fcuk good can a horse do against morter rounds and chemical weapons?

The worst part is, he's up on that horse with no safety helmet, has he any idea of the risk he's running? BTW, I do hope the horse will be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ugh i have some good mates who are Muslims i hope none of them end up heading off to take part in this ****e. I hope they wouldnt but some times they say some things and it makes me stop and think they are mental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Joe prim wrote: »
    The worst part is, he's up on that horse with no safety helmet, has he any idea of the risk he's running? BTW, I do hope the horse will be OK.

No, he'll do that thing where you lean over one side of the horse, and that way they can't shoot him. It'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

A selfish idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Joe prim wrote: »

No objection, as long as he's not making it haul a sulky around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

I obviously don't get out much but I thought everyone was predominantly Prod (atheist) or RCC (atheist) - when did every other person become a Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Fck it, fair play to him. There's Fck all work here for young lads so it's good to see a fella getting off his hole and taking a grip of himself. Syria could be the new Australia in a few years. Them rebels are only crying out for lads to join up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Syria appears to have a mixture of Sunni, Shi'ite, Ismailis, Alawite Moslems and Christians..... so who and what has he gone to fight for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Some young Nordie's still believe in the glory of blood sacrifice and dying for your convictions. It's something that the Republican leadership tapped into during the troubles, and even back to the time of P Pearse. He probably isn't the smartest tool in the box and believes in revolution, armed conflict and glorious revolution.

Advertisement