Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs Day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anything that makes the Irish "seem" like less of a drunken people abroad has to be a good thing.

I hate the stereotype of Ireland as a nation of drunks because it is true!

Stereotypes are not supposed to be true!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Winter Thousands Weekday

It's always on my birthday so I don't care ill be still
    On the beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Anything that makes the Irish "seem" like less of a drunken people abroad has to be a good thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about what people abroad think of us. So we drink, at least we're not invading other countries, supporting and propping up dictatorships, manufacturing arms on a colossal scale and then selling them to anyone with a cheque book, voting for racist parties... Compared to most of our neighbours, we're fecking angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't know. I have a bit of an issue when I am in foreign climes and the first thing that comes up is drink whenever Ireland is mentioned. It's embarrassing. It's not their fault - it's our fault.

Even our great leaders Bertie and Brian went around the world with pints in their hands ffs. Surely a bit of cop on, tact and self respect is not too much to ask.

Not getting the US president to drink a pint of guinness for example at every opportunity might be a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I've had a couple of good nights out because of it, so it was corporate in nature, big deal. People should just see this it for what it is: an organised piss-up which is being replaced by another organised piss-up spread out over a few more weeks! Pour me another pint there Decco

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

kitten_k wrote: »

It's not gone, it's just been rebranded. It always been a marketing event to get students drinking Guinness and it still is. No change, only the name.

• I don't know. I have a bit of an issue when I am in foreign climes and the first thing that comes up is drink whenever Ireland is mentioned. It's embarrassing. It's not their fault - it's our fault.

Even our great leaders Bertie and Brian went around the world with pints in their hands ffs. Surely a bit of cop on, tact and self respect is not too much to ask.

Not getting the US president to drink a pint of guinness for example at every opportunity might be a good place to start.

I think it's great to be honest, I love the way we are seen as a nation of people not afraid to have the craic and mad for the beer. I'm proud of it in fact.

I always do my best to represent us well too when abroad when it comes to drinking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would rather be considered a nation of drunks than a nation of astonishingly stupid cunts.

You had these condescending cunts like Christy Moore, and loads of posters here at the time, who were presuming most of the population were completely stupid idiots who did not realise it was a marketing campaign, and had to be "saved" from their own ignorance, and from a blatantly obvious marketing campaign that they somehow thought was sneaky or discrete. The cringeworthy irony of what went on was quite embarrassing.

A line from that fuckers embarrassing arthurs day song
    creating Arthur's Day they've suckered us into their charade

The sneaky marketing ploy was him jumping on the bandwagon to sell his single and no doubt sold a load of "best of" albums on the back of it. I don't believe a penny of his single sales or increased sales of best of's went to charity.

I hope that prick has boycotted watching the world cup, sponsored by a beer company. All the poor fools who will be suckered into buying budweiser while watching the final, who will save the poor idiots from that charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Fúck sake. Used to have great craic on Arthurs Day throughout the few years it was on. Christy Moore, the sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hate the stereotype of Ireland as a nation of drunks because it is true!

Stereotypes are not supposed to be true!!

There's usually some element of truth in a stereotype, that's how they come to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Awww! What will we replace it with, drunken gobshytes day?

Already have that...St. Patrick's Day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Tinley Big Sheriff

I fúcking hated Arthur's day. It's grand saying 'if you don't like it, don't participate' but try living in the city centre and going about your business when it's on.

And LOL at the people saying 'sure we knew it was a marketing campaign all along but we were just having a bit of craic', horseshít. First few years it was on all I was hearing was 'sure Guinness is a national treasure, part of the Irish identity, why don't you want to come out and spend money on a shít-tasting drink produced by an international corporation to celebrate how Irish you are? You're no craic'

Also calling bullshít on the it's all about the music thing. Unless being blind drunk by 6pm and spending the night acting the maggot is somehow conducive to hearing the music better, most people were not there for the music.

If people were just going along to it and having the craic I wouldn't give a crap, but they were puking on my doorstep, roaring in the street all night and giving me hassle for not participating, so good riddance. At least if it's spread out over a few weeks people might take it a bit handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Archeron

I SUPPORT BARRY SCOTT DAY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Glad its over it was an embarrassment.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The best ones were the people who thought they were smarter cause they'd figured out it was a marketing campaign. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

woodoo wrote: »
    Glad its over it was an embarrassment.

Marthta won't be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Good riddance. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Here lads, Thursday the 25th of September will be Arthur's Day. It's famous enough now that we don't need Diageo's blessing to have a mad rager and act the eejit on that date (not that we ever did to begin with) - underground bootleg "Arthur's Day" anyone? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

awec wrote: »
    The best ones were the people who thought they were smarter cause they'd figured out it was a marketing campaign. :pac:

Wait a second...... it was a WHAT? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

ollaetta wrote: »
    Good riddance. That's all.

What about these coffee mornings, partners and husbands at work, dodgy sort of episodes. I will talk to Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Wait a second...... it was a WHAT? :eek:

and and and now this :
    The Guinness Two-Pour Is The Greatest Marketing Myth In History
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/guinness-two-pour-is-the-greatest-marketing-con

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fentdog84 wrote: »

Love Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Archeron wrote: »
    I SUPPORT BARRY SCOTT DAY!!!

I once witnessed Barry Scott walk across a lake to heal an injured swan. He is Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

Originally Posted by Fentdog84

March 5 is ............ National Absinthe Day!

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/03/05/national-absinthe-day-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

surprised its gone, remember the first year, i thought it was great, like a mini paddy's day. still though guinness have got around by saying it will be replaced by a music festival, so we have an 'arthurs month' instead of arthurs day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Another example of "astroturfing": the Marketing 101 graduates are hoping that, by cancelling it, there will be a "grassroots" campaign to celebrate the day regardless. Call it Reverse Psychology if you like. Imagine if they could get people to drink a lot more Guinness without all that pesky spending on advertising?

Now, if they'd only sold Guinness at a discount price on that day, I might had had one, but they didn't in Dublin (as far as I saw) and were probably correct not to.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Beer? OK.
    Promotionally cheaper beer? OK.
    Having a bull**** corporate day as an annual 'festival' and rolling it over on into subsequent years? Cynical, but within the rules.

Where they fecked up was the whole 17.59 thing. Seems like fun relating the founding year to a clock time BUT, that promoted the binge element with folks getting loose early in the evening after work. Downhill from there. A late evening toast and it could have been a success. We'll never know.

Good riddance - I'm glad about this rethink. It makes good PR sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, some real oddballs out there, none of whom I heard moaning about the heineken green energy festivals or bud rising festivals. Both of whom also subsidised bands to play small venues.

Heineken are one of the main sponsors of electric picnic if anyone wants to boycott it, bacardi are also sponsors.

Budweiser are also one of the sponsors of the world cup, so turn that shite off right now, boycott the matches, the cynical pricks in budweisers marketing department have the exact same sneaky cynical plan as arthurs day did, promoting brand awareness in the hope it might increase sales, I think this secret was exposed on wikileaks, who would have guessed what they were really up to, the cunts.

Jack Daniels also used to promote events during September and even provided their drink freely to patrons. Think they still do big advertising campaign's for "Jack's Birthday."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Tampax Day , Have a good period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Shouldn't need a specific day to drink Guinness. Everyday is a good day.

Advertisement