Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are we a nation of idiots?

Options

Comments

Omackeral wrote: »
    Mrs. Browne's Boys is basically a 60 year old man from Finglas saying f*ck and b*llox over and over while wearing a granny dress and falling down on occasion.

And Laurel and Hardy was basically a stupid man and an obese man falling down and making fools of themselves.

The difference is time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

The phrase "Taste is subjective" is like the phrase "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion." Some people have fucking stupid opinions. David Icke thinks lizard shape shifters rule the world. That is a stupid opinion and anyone who believes it is a moron.

I can't help but feel a little superior to people with crap taste, not that I have the greatest. If you think [Place] Shore is worthwhile television, even if you don't watch it, you are an idiot. If you think The Bounty Hunter, with Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler, is a good movie, you have bad taste and should stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Candie wrote: »
    And Laurel and Hardy was basically a stupid man and an obese man falling down and making fools of themselves.

The difference is time.

Correct. Mr. Bean is a stupidly intelligent, or possibly intelligently stupid, and extremely English man making a gowl of himself. And it is side-splittingly funny! :):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I dunno, Jehan Adam, Parameshvara, Damodara, Georg Von Pueurbach and Ali Qushji .

Isn't Google great :D

The phrase "Taste is subjective" is like the phrase "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion." Some people have fucking stupid opinions. David Icke thinks lizard shape shifters rule the world. That is a stupid opinion and anyone who believes it is a moron.

I can't help but feel a little superior to people with crap taste, not that I have the greatest. If you think [Place] Shore is worthwhile television, even if you don't watch it, you are an idiot. If you think The Bounty Hunter, with Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler, is a good movie, you have bad taste and should stop it.

See. I don't think anyone thinks '- shore' is worthwhile. People watch it because they want to feel superior (like you) or to be mindlessly entertained for a while. No one thinks it's high-brow.

And stupid opinions are just that - individual opinion. The daft holders of those opinions are every bit as entitled to hold them as you are entitled to hold the view that you're superior to Jennifer Aniston fans, or whatever.

All culture serves a purpose, even the low brow stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nothing against Brendan O' Carroll, fair play to him for sticking with it for donkeys years and is now laughing all the way to the bank. But theres no comparison with Fr.Ted or even Mr Bean. I think he'd be the first to acknowledge that himself privately. He probably doesnt know what the hell is going on, but hes going to ride that wave while it lasts, and who wouldnt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I really don't get why mrs Browns boys is so popular. It's comedy based on an obnoxious skanky old tranny that most of us would stick in a cheap retirement home somewhere and suppress the memory of it's existence, if it were related to us.

I really don't get why mrs Browns boys is so popular. It's comedy based on an obnoxious skanky old tranny that most of us would stick in a cheap retirement home somewhere and suppress the memory of it's existence, if it were related to us.

The Force is strong in this one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

This might apply to Father Ted too.:D

catallus wrote: »
    This might apply to Father Ted too.:D

Feck off!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

This stuff is for kids and kids are idiots.

Just to be clear it's the character and not transvestites that I don't like:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Maybe! I think the bigger problem are the ones with an inferiority complex that are completely preoccupied with how we are perceived as a nation than the idiots residing here though.

Constant threads of "Are we Irish....*something negative*"

I really don't get why mrs Browns boys is so popular.

It's popular because people relate to the language, the closeness of the family unit, the familiarity of the background of the characters and the simplicity of the storyline.

Nobody watches it for intellectual stimulation, they watch it because it's easy. Which is the same reason why I love glossy magazines. I don't always want to read something that takes effort or engagement.

I don't like it myself, but I see no reason to assume that people who enjoy it for a half hour are stupid or lacking in taste generally.

It's popular because people relate to the language, the closeness of the family unit, the familiarity of the background of the characters and the simplicity of the storyline.

Nobody watches it for intellectual stimulation, they watch it because it's easy. Which is the same reason why I love glossy magazines. I don't always want to read something that takes effort or engagement.

I don't like it myself, but I see no reason to assume that people who enjoy it for a half hour are stupid or lacking in taste generally.

I think you're giving it's viewers far too much credit:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

I know people have different taste but you'd want to be mentally ill to watch Mrs Brown

Lux23 wrote: »
    This stuff is for kids and kids are idiots.

Count me in! :)

I think you're giving it's viewers far too much credit:P

It's not about giving anyone undeserved credit, anymore than someone deserves or doesn't deserve credit for watching Sky Arts 24/7.

It just is what it is. Very light entertainment that's popular enough with a certain audience, and it really doesn't need deconstructing or concepts of worthiness applied to it. People enjoy it for what it is and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

It's not about giving anyone undeserved credit, anymore than someone deserves or doesn't deserve credit for watching Sky Arts 24/7.

It just is what it is. Very light entertainment that's popular enough with a certain audience, and it really doesn't need deconstructing or concepts of worthiness applied to it. People enjoy it for what it is and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

I'm only half serious Candie. I can't stand the guy or his comedy but so far as other peoples preferences are concerned, so long as it doesn't involve harm to animals or children, I pretty much don't care:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A nation of whatnow? I don't understand the question.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    A nation of whatnow? I don't understand the question.

Everyone who doesn't share the OPs superior taste is an eejit.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

nope.

if you repeatedly engross yourself in lowbrow garbage culture, then you are an eejit.
    if you set the bar low for yourself, then you are an eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Oh, right. I was a bit lost too. I thought this was going to be about that brilliant cinematic oeuvre, Mrs Browns Boys, D'movie. Loads of people really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Mrs Brown's Boys is just as popular in the UK.

BMMachine wrote: »
    nope.

if you repeatedly engross yourself in lowbrow garbage culture, then you are an eejit.

But the problem is you appointed yourself the judge of what constitutes low brow, and engaged in hyperbole about the tastes of people who consume and enjoy things you consider inferior.

That's fine and everything, and while you can certainly judge peoples tastes in culture against your own, you don't get to judge the people themselves on the back of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

But the problem is you appointed yourself the judge of what constitutes low brow, and engaged in hyperbole about the tastes of people who consume and enjoy things you consider inferior.

That's fine and everything, and while you can certainly judge peoples tastes in culture against your own, you don't get to judge the people themselves on the back of it.

Do you not have a couch to be fondling?? :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

and why not? there are various shades of grey I agree but I have met people who are fully engrossed in what I would consider bad taste and guess what, they were eejits!
    There are patterns to how people talk, act and behave and you often find the same type of people say the exact same things and act in the exact same way. This goes for people with good taste too, I know I can immediately relate to someone who is say a Chris Morris fan but at the same time, I know their tastes will be different to mine in a lot of areas, shades of grey. But if someone is like, a hardcore big bang theory fan and loves twilight, then yeah, alarm bells ring but you still give them a chance and yes, they can surprise you.

if you are a good, intelligent person than that will reveal itself anyway, no matter what you like, but in most cases, those people like good things :) just the same way that an eejit almost always likes the crap. If you like all the sh1te side of life and engross yourself in it and don't like being judged by others than in my mind, you should be judging yourself and upping your game, not dragging others down with you because you feel uncomfortable about liking nonsense.
    there seems to be a wave of anti-intellectualism and a paranoia against 'smart' people. you can see it all over the net "TL,DR", various memes and other social media sites. If you dare sound smart, then there will always be someone jealous of this to try and reel you back in. think I'm wrong? heres an example from this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91082516&postcount=65

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

BMMachine wrote: »
    nope.

That's nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What the hell is the OP's problem with eejits anyways?

If people want to be eejits then let them! Borderline racist, is what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Mrs Brown's Boys is pretty base humour, but the likes of Transformers isn't exactly the most intellectually stimulating piece of cinema ever produced either, so can the same thing not be said when that garbage is popular? Oooh, fancy graphics and flashy lights – idiots! No?

Advertisement