Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoHardOrGoHome 2: Go Harder

• 09-11-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

I started a log last year and it was dreadful. It lasted about a week. Hopefully having this log will pressure me into logging training sessions and keeping track of weekly/monthly mileage and performance improvements(!).

I had a pretty good hill running season this year and improved my position in IMRA hill races and in the multi-sport races around such as the Wicklow Adventure Race and Gaelforce compared to 2009. So I was pretty happy overall, but to see improvements next year I'm going to have to train smarter and a lot harder.

So the aim is to develop a training plan and to follow it. I will likely make mistakes in this process but hey! that's okay!

I hope to run 6/7 days a week even if it's just 15/20 minutes on a rest day. I haven't done any consistent speedwork/intervals etc. It's almost exclusively been easy running. In the latter half of the hill running season I went to some Lydiard-style hill training sessions in Kilmashogue with Rene Borg (www.mountain-runner.com) and I believe they really improved my climbing power and also leg turnover on descents. I went to these once a week at most. According to Lydiard I can do up to three of these sessions a week. I've ordered Healthy Intelligent Training from Amazon so that should arrive in the next few days. This explains Lydiard's training methods.

I hope to set PBs at all distances next year though road running results are more to show proof of improvements gained from the training rather than the objective itself. IMRA races are the main goal for next year with Snowdon in particular being an A-category race. I would like to start hitting top ten placings for the Leinster League (Wednesday night races).

I think I raced too much this year and didn't train enough although I had great fun doing it.

Race less, train more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Current PBs are:

Distance|Time|Place
    5k|18:58|2010 Le Chéile 5k|
    5 mile|33:21|2008 Adidas 5 mile|
    10k|40:08|2010 Kildare town |
    10 mile|70:29|2008 Adidas 10 mile|
    Half mara|87:05|2009 Adidas Half|
    Marathon|3:29:50|2007 Dublin|

Did 33:31 for the 5 mile in 2009

Possible PBs kinda just plucked out of thin air would be:

Distance|Goal
    5k|17:30
    5 mile|30:00
    10k|38:00
    10 mile|65:00
    Half mara|83:00
    Marathon|3:10:00

closer to 3 would be nice for the marathon!

After putting down those goals I checked what McMillan thought of them using a 17:30 5k as seed data. The only one that is way out of whack is the marathon. McMillan reckons a 17:30 5k is "equivalent" to a 2:50:36 marathon. I know, I know, pinch of salt and all that. Oh and the projected 10 mile time is 60:55 which is a lot faster than my goal of 65 minutes.

I may not race all those distances next year but if I do I would be hoping to at least approach those goals.

I was a bit shocked to realise it had been 3 years since I had raced a marathon. I expect to do reasonably high mileage (for me) which would probably only be about 50 miles per week (I realise 50 miles is considered to be a pretty light workload to the advanced marathoners in our midst). I will have to build up to this. I'm very inconsistent at the moment. I might only do one or two runs a week and not very far at that. So if I do manage to get to 50 mpw then that will be a great base to tag on some marathon specific training runs in preparation for either Berlin or Dublin. If I race Berlin it would be great to pace Dublin. I had lots of fun pacing the 2 hour group in the Strawberry Half marathon in Enniscorthy this year.

I plan on reading the 3 hour support thread :)

What's wrong with my tables?!

Fixed! Thanks Raycun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What's wrong with my tables?!

The opening tag in my table is
    table="head;width=70%"
    you don't have thos double quotes

I always find it easiest to copy a working table from somewhere else and replace the data...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Best of luck GHOGH, you had phenomenal progress last season, it will be interesting to see what you can do with dedicated training.
    I hope to set PBs at all distances next year though road running results are more to show proof of improvements gained from the training rather than the objective itself. IMRA races are the main goal for next year with Snowdon in particular being an A-category race. I would like to start hitting top ten placings for the Leinster League (Wednesday night races).

Keep your calender clean around the middle of June also:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best of luck with the log Eamonn. You are probably setting your targets a trifle low, but hey beat them and you can stretch further. You're improved considerably this year on the back of a lot of easy runs, so you can go a lot further with some more structure to your training.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the log Eamonn. You are probably setting your targets a trifle low, but hey beat them and you can stretch further. You're improved considerably this year on the back of a lot of easy runs, so you can go a lot further with some more structure to your training.

I don't think so SJ, but I'm glad you disagree :). They're not hard targets that once I hit I'll retire. They're more just targets which will hopefully fall and prove that I'm improving. Rene commented on a good article where you don't train for a specific time, you base your targets on what your training times suggest you can achieve. So don't go out and run four six-minute miles, go out and run four miles at 90% effort. If that takes 6:15 that's fine, if you manage 5:50 then that's good too.

@Donothoponpop - as long as the Wicklow Way Relay doesn't fall on the same weekend as the Euro trial. Seeing as I'm on the committee this year I can make a spirited case to keep them separate!

The Euro trial is used (obviously) to pick the Irish team for the European champs but it is also used to pick the Irish team for Snowdon. I want to gauge my performance against people like Jason Kehoe and the Healy brothers and that way I can attempt to race Snowdon at the correct pace.

2010-11-06 Saturday Powerscourt Ridge Race (approx 16k/10 miles)

Kept within 10/20 seconds of Slogger Jogger for most of the race but coming off Djouce Greg Byrne and SJ extended their lead gradually and finished two minutes ahead of me. Amidou also caught me but he's a great descdender and now he's learning to climb!

For all that I didn't think I had over extended myself but I was quite stiff on Sunday and Monday.

2010-11-07 Sunday Rest

Watched some friends take part in the Alive Outside duathlon in the park. Great craic but I made the right decision not to race. Just jogging from the carpark to the various spectator points was tough!

2010-11-08 Monday 7.3k easy (VFFs)

Nice easy jog in the evening with housemate and JeffOnTour. Did around 7.3k in the Vibram Five Fingers. Too dark to run inside Bushy park so ran on more path and road than I was expecting. I was expecting the calves to feel sore the next day but they were actually grand. Maybe I'm getting used to the VFFs?!

Week to date 7.3k

2010-11-09 Tuesday Intervals with Rathfarnam

Went along to a Rathfarnam session which was very good. 8 x 1K with 2 minutes recovery.

1st 3:47
    2nd 3:43
    3rd 3:43
    4th 3:40
    5th 3:35
    6th 3:43
    7th 3:35
    8th 3:36

Breathing was tough on the last half of the last K (in particular). Think I could have done another two reps at that speed. Not sure if that is desirable or not. Should I do the eight reps but try to run faster or run at that pace for 10 reps? Hopefully Lydiard will have all the answers (still waiting on my Healthy Intelligent Training book by Keith Livingstone - here)

Total - 8x1K plus 1k warmdown. No warm up :eek:
    Week to date 16.3K

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

Agree with SJ. Your PBs are conservative Eamo. Especially the 10k and Marathon.

Your 3:10:00 target for the Marathon screams:
    "I'm gonna have a crack at sub 3"

Your well capable of it!. Nothing wrong with 50 miles a week. Have a read of
    Jack Daniels Running Formula.

Best of luck!

"+ Follow Thread" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Look forward to tracking your progress Eamonn. Expecting great things this year, and not those soft targets ya have posted. ;)

If you can achieve an 83 minute 1/2 marathon, I'd certainly be aiming for a sub-3 marathon, but maybe you just have commitment issues. :)

Aw shucks lads! :o

Great to see the encouragement.

• Advertisement

2010-11-10 Wednesday Medium Hill Run Ticknock

Had in my head to do around 40/45 minutes up around Ticknock/Fairy Castle. Ended up going over to the Tibradden carpark and back. Only 14k(ish) but it took us 1h40. JeffOnTour, Stark and Zoran.

Diet was pathetic today - no breakfast, meagre bagel at lunch and two mandarins before heading out the door for the run.

We ran at what I know to be an easy pace but I felt tired during it. Mostly because of the food but probably a bit because of the Rathfarnam session last night. Glad I didn't do 10x1K reps last night.

Running streak = 3 days.
    14K hilly
    Week to date - 25.3K

Healthy Intelligent Training arrived today. Some swotting to do now.

2010-11-11 Thursday 9k easy

Easy jog on the streets of Dublin. Merrion Square, Stephen's Green were both closed so just ran along the canal a bit.

Swim

200m fc
    200m bs
    50/50/50/50 fc bs fc bs
    100/100 fc bs
    50/50/50/50 bs fc bs fc

Total: 1000m

2010-11-12 Friday 8.7k easy

It had gone past 11pm but I promised I would run every day this week and it was my own fault for not finding the time earlier in the day.

Also mountain biking for three hours - easy pace.

8.7k in 44 minutes. Avg page 5:06 minute/k

Running streak = 5 days!
    Week to date = 43 km

dapope wrote: »
    Your well capable of it!. Nothing wrong with 50 miles a week. Have a read of
    Jack Daniels Running Formula.

Best of luck!

"+ Follow Thread" ;)

Thanks DaPope I had actually ordered it before you said that. Damn Amazon and their suggestions. "Readers who purchased Healthy Intelligent Training also purchased Daniel's running formula". So I did too! Haven't opened the book yet mind you!

2010-11-13 Saturday 8k easy in Carton

Met up with two friends and went for a chatty loop around Carton. Felt a bit tired going up the little hills in Carton but was relieved to feel full of energy on the flat.

8k in 44 minutes so an average of 5:30 per K.

Running streak = 6 days!
    Week to date: 51K

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Look forward to reading this log GHOGH. Your PB's are similar enough to mine (give or take), and targets pretty much in line too... except the marathon time! As previously menntioned, you're way too slow if you're running an 83min HM.

I ran sub-89 HM this year, and marathoned in just under 3:05. I'd be hoping for a sub-85 HM and sub-3 this year, targeting Dublin HM and DCM 11.

Good luck with the training.

figs wrote: »
    Look forward to reading this log GHOGH. Your PB's are similar enough to mine (give or take), and targets pretty much in line too... except the marathon time! As previously menntioned, you're way too slow if you're running an 83min HM.

I ran sub-89 HM this year, and marathoned in just under 3:05. I'd be hoping for a sub-85 HM and sub-3 this year, targeting Dublin HM and DCM 11.

Good luck with the training.

Good stuff figs. Good to have a few people all going for similar goals. You, me, Macanri and Cunvalos.

I didn't think long and hard about the targets so they're not all in line. The 83 minute half marathon is a bit mad alright. I know a couple of guys who did 84 in Enniscorthy Half Marathon so that's where that target came from. My PB is 87 and that was a race where everything went perfectly.

That's a great marathon time. Sub 3 no bother to ya!

2010-11-14 Sunday Measly 4k!

Original plan was to join LeCheile and JB-Ski for an Art O'Neill for a long run along part of the Art O'Neill route. Was at a friend's 30th birthday so that was a late night. Got back and went for a 4k run just to do something! 19 minutes. Pace: 4:45/k

Cycled about 30/35k as well.

Running streak: 7 days
    Week to date: 55k
    Week to date: 60k (not so bad for a first week!)

Weekly Summary 2010-11-08 to 2010-11-14

Day|Distance (K)|Pace
    Monday|7.3|easy|
    Tuesday|9.0|intervals|
    Wednesday|14.0|hilly, slow|
    Thursday|9.0|easy|
    Friday|8.7|easy 5:05|
    Saturday|8.0|5:30|
    Sunday|4.0|4:45|
    Total|60

Cross training

Day|Activity|Distance|Time
    Monday|
    Tuesday|
    Wednesday|
    Thursday|Swimming|1000m|1hr|
    Friday|Mountain biking|?|3 hours|
    Saturday|
    Sunday|Cycling|35k|1h 35
    Total|||5h 35

2010-11-15 Monday 20.8k split over three runs.

6.2K in the morning @5:37
    6.6K in the evening @5:37
    8.0K later on with a couple of friends. @5:59

Week to date: 20.8K

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

2010-11-15 Monday 20.8k split over three runs.

6.2K in the morning @5:37
    6.6K in the evening @5:37
    8.0K later on with a couple of friends. @5:59

Week to date: 20.8K

Doing triples in November?!?:eek: The Winter League will be very interesting!

The first two were a commute with a backpack of clothes. The third was more of a chat with friends but we happened to be running at the time!

At the moment I'm playing around with runs and seeing how I feel. Rene has suggested using from now until Christmas as kind of experimental. See what works for me. Do I get very tired after intervals and need a full days rest afterwards or am I quite happy to run the next day.

Going to a lecture this evening so may have to shift the club intervals I was looking forward to and do my own. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Frankly this makes for disgusting reading. How am I supposed to use you as a gauge for my times if you persist with this ridiculously consistent training? My haphazard, over drinking and eating interrupted training approach will only see me lose more ground on you.

Next time you're out in your VFFs I reckon I will have to nobble you by stepping accidentally on your toes! :D

2010-11-16 Tuesday Intervals with Rathfarnam 8*1K

Warmed up by jogging to Nutgrove park and doing a couple of laps nice and easy. 8 * 1K intervals. I wasn't sure how I would feel at this session coming off (for me) a week of good running. Most of my runs have been nice and easy so I was hoping I wouldn't have any ill effects. And I didn't! The pace was a couple of seconds quicker (at the top of the group) than last week and I had to check my watch to see that I was indeed running at similar speeds to last week. A lot more people there tonight.

On rep 6 I wasn't paying attention and the group went off (early I thought!) so I followed them 5 seconds later. 5 seconds is a long time! I went at what I thought was the same pace as I had the other intervals but it ended up being 3:53 rather than 3:43. I was 10 seconds slower when I ran on my own compared to running in a group. Mentally I thought I was going at the same effort level but I was going a lot easier. Much easier (mentally) to latch onto the group and stick with them. The wind may have had a slight effect too.

1st 3:53
    2nd 3:46
    3rd 3:43
    4th 3:44
    5th 3:45
    6th 3:59
    7th -- messed up the Garmin (around 3:50)
    8th 3:49

Warm up of 6.3K @ 5:03
    Warm down of 3k @ 5:16

Total for the day of 17.3K
    Week to date 38.1K
    Running streak = 9 days!

jeffontour wrote: »
    Frankly this makes for disgusting reading. How am I supposed to use you as a gauge for my times if you persist with this ridiculously consistent training? My haphazard, over drinking and eating interrupted training approach will only see me lose more ground on you.

Next time you're out in your VFFs I reckon I will have to nobble you by stepping accidentally on your toes! :D

Mwuaah-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa! It's early days yet and I've had bouts of enthusiasm which have gone nowhere so hopefully I can maintain this level of consistency if only to pull rank if we argue over who's the hottest in the Apprentice.

Going to a lecture this evening so may have to shift the club intervals I was looking forward to and do my own. Hmmm.

CSS3 and HTML5 lecture was booked out so went to Rathfarnam.

Must book a sports massage to make sure nothing's going terribly wrong with my legs. I feel fine but good to get any knots worked out early rather than when they become a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck with the training. Will be reading this log with interest. You have similar goals to myself and background. I also spent this year running IMRA races and multi sports.

I agree with jeffontour that this makes for disgusting reading ;)

I'm no expert but I reckon you should smash those PB targets given your current training

2010-11-17 Wednesday around 9.5k

Ran into Middle Abbey street for the talk about the Art O'Neill challenge led by Enduro and Ezikel?! 4.8k.
    Ran back 4.7k (slightly different route).

4.8k @ 4:32/K (clock stopped at lights etc, so I got a rest)
    4.7K @ 4:45

Total for the day 9.5
    Week to date 47.6
    Running streak = 10 days!

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the training. Will be reading this log with interest. You have similar goals to myself and background. I also spent this year running IMRA races and multi sports.

I agree with jeffontour that this makes for disgusting reading ;)

I'm no expert but I reckon you should smash those PB targets given your current training

Thanks Warren, good to have people aiming for the same goals! We can egg each other on. See you at the IMRA winter league. I may not do all five races but I'll do some of them.

2010-11-18 Thursday - 3 runs - 19.9K

Commute in and out was
    6.1K @ 6:00/K (I had a backpack on)
    6.0K @ 5:28/K

Hilly run before IMRA committee meeting from Lamb Doyles up to Three Rock and back down with Dunebuggy and Stark. 7.8K @ 6:07/K

Total for day: 19.9K
    Week to date: 67.5K
    Running streak: 11 days!
    (I'm going to keep putting in that exclamation mark when it's a personal record. If I miss a day and have to start over I'll leave out the exclamation mark!

• Advertisement

2010-11-19 Friday Three runs - 19k

Ran around 5.5k into college to do a weights session. Second half of an induction followed by the session. I feel like I don't belong in there. I reckon I'm the only guy in there who doesn't want to get bigger. Ideally I'd like to gain 2kg of muscle and lose 2kg of fat. Judging by those dodgy weighing scales that claim to measure your fat content I'm 13% at the moment. That's an improvement from 16% last year when it was more reliably done by Bernard Donne in Trinity with calipers. Still I'd like to be closer to 10%. I'm not going to get hung up on the idea and I *love* my full fat milk (none of that grey-water muck they call Slimline "milk") but I reckon it's a good idea to reduce it a bit and I reckon I have a fairly weak core so I'm going to improve on that.

Felt a bit tired to go for a swim afterwards so got some food in a cafe and jogged home. Another 5.5k.

Jeffontour was wondering if I wanted to knock out a handy 10k at 6:00 pace but I reckoned it would be pushing it a bit much so I said I'd give it a miss. He insisted so I went out in my Nike Zoom Vomero 3s (which are super comfy) with the proviso that I might back out after4/5k but I felt great so I did 8k.

Total for the day 19k
    Week to date 86.5k
    Running streak = 12 days!

Advertisement