Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Get out of contract (Meteor)

• 28-07-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Since I know the majority of Android users on this subforum are on Meteor I feel this is suited here (In case you don't read Mobiles & PDAs)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055977831

Just succeeded in getting out of my 12 month contract only 3 months in on my Desire :)

Not leaving Meteor or anything but it's nice knowing you're free :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Are you on PAYG now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

JustinOval wrote: »
    Are you on PAYG now?
    Nope, moved on to bill pay lite.

Yeah, sorry just read it.

I think I'll do the same, no intention of moving but would be nice to be out of contract. ;)

Did you call 1905 to cancel?

Did you call 1905 to cancel?
    The wait time on that is horrendous.

I rang 1800-222-085 which is their retention department. It took me less than 2 minutes in total to have it over and done with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lawstud

2 Questions:

1) Whats their policy with returning deposits?
    2) Do you still get the 300 web texts on the monthly contracts? (I presume you do but just to clarify)

Thanks for the info.;)

Lawstud wrote: »
    2 Questions:

1) Whats their policy with returning deposits?
    2) Do you still get the 300 web texts on the monthly contracts? (I presume you do but just to clarify)

Thanks for the info.;)
    1) I'd imagine it's returned on your last bill but I was never asked for one.
    2) You do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

How did the conversation go? Hi I'd like to cancel my contract under the provisions made by EU directive 17 or something?

Doesn't that basically mean you can just get subsidized phones without contract now??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No, it doesn't. In fact, if you cancel you will have to return your phone under section 12 of your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

chrislad wrote: »
    No, it doesn't. In fact, if you cancel you will have to return your phone under section 12 of your contract.

can_of_worms_ahead.jpg

Anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »

Like everybody else has? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Hi partyatmygaff,

If you have a minute can you put a guide up for the exact steps you did, or fill in the blanks.

1) Call 1800 222085
    Meteor-- Hello Meteor cancellations?

2)Hello I'm ringing to cancel my contract because of _____________

Meteor-- Okay no problem/Im not sure I can do that/Would you like to

3) Thats great, shut my phone down for 20 minutes/can I speak to a manager

Thanks partyatmygaff with your help Ive rooted my phone and with a little luck be out of contract:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Pacifico wrote: »
    can_of_worms_ahead.jpg

Anyone confirm this?

http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/

Section 12.

artielange wrote: »
    Hi partyatmygaff,

If you have a minute can you put a guide up for the exact steps you did, or fill in the blanks.

1) Call 1800 222085
    Meteor-- Hello Meteor cancellations?

2)Hello I'm ringing to cancel my contract because of _____________

Meteor-- Okay no problem/Im not sure I can do that/Would you like to

3) Thats great, shut my phone down for 20 minutes/can I speak to a manager

Thanks partyatmygaff with your help Ive rooted my phone and with a little luck be out of contract:)
    It's fairly simple.

Ring the number and tell them that you wish to cancel your contract as you disagree with the amendments made. They will attempt to persuade you otherwise but you have to state clearly that it does not matter as the contract terms have been changed and under EU law you are allowed to withdraw from contract without penalty. They'll give you a minute or two of hassle but no more (This was for changing to a lite tariff, moving to payg may give you a bit more hassle).

Baza210 wrote: »
    How did the conversation go? Hi I'd like to cancel my contract under the provisions made by EU directive 17 or something?

Doesn't that basically mean you can just get subsidized phones without contract now??
    No you couldn't as i'd imagine all new contracts are agreed upon with the price changes already in effect. It only affects those with contracts signed before 22nd July.

It went a bit like this

Hello, Meteor's retention department, how may I help

Hi, I would like to cancel my contract and change tariff due to a change of the contract terms by Meteor

Yes, but this doesn't affect you as you don't use data on your phone.

I do use data, in fact I have the 250mb data plan.

Well then it still doesn't affect you.

I'm aware of that but still under EU law I'm permitted to exit the contract without penalty in the event that something like this occurs.

Well ok, what tariff would you like to move on to?

I give her the details of what I want and then she tells me that it'll come into effect on the next billing cycle. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Hmm. Almost too good to be true!

I would actually feel bad doing this... then again moving to bill pay lite would give me free meteor to meteor calls and texts for a fiver less a month!

Dang, once and a while the EU comes up with something really special which almost makes the rest of their bull**** worthwhile...

Although I can still never forgive the EU for what it did to the German purity of beer law!

Edit - Actually wait, the bad thing about this is that there will be nothing to stop me from running out and upgrading to the newest and the latest phone in a couple of months time. At least before I was tied in till next May!

Desire HD may be a temptation to strong to resist!

I had to request cancellation in writing, move to PAYG and then sign up to Lite in a shop.

The chap on the phone did try to explain the prices were dropping but that's irrelevant - it's a change in contract and therefore we can choose to cancel without penalty, so why wouldn't we? Lite is €5 pm cheaper, now has free Meteor calls and texts plus I can get a new subsidised handset when one catches my eye. It's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I had to request cancellation in writing, move to PAYG and then sign up to Lite in a shop.

The chap on the phone did try to explain the prices were dropping but that's irrelevant - it's a change in contract and therefore we can choose to cancel without penalty, so why wouldn't we? Lite is €5 pm cheaper, now has free Meteor calls and texts plus I can get a new subsidised handset when one catches my eye. It's a no-brainer.
    That sounds pretty cool. I'll do that myself...

My billing month runs until the 14th so I'd say I should wait till then before calling them? I read in the other forum that you get switched to PAYG straight away with zero credit so I may aswel use the remainder of my mins/txts/data.

I'll be moving from smart 30 to smart lite 30 with no contract and free meteor talk and text :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was told if you switch half way between you're billing period, you'll only be billed for half the month.

I'll believe that when I get my bill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lawstud

Just rang meteor there to cancel my 18 mth contract based on the amendment to the terms of contract. Couldn't have been easier. Person I spoke with was very nice. Took 2 mins.

No issues with returning the phone. Why people were under this impression is understandable as the contract does indicate that the phone belongs to Meteor. However, meteor are unilaterally amending the terms of the contract - pursunat to EU law. The EU regulation in question clarly specifies that one is entitled to withdraw form the contract without penalty.

• Advertisement

Requiring return of the phone wouldn't necessarily be a penalty. Depending on the terms and conditions, they may well be entitled to the return of the phone if title never passed. I'm sure however from a P.R. perspective they decided against that route in the end.

Just rang myself. The girl on the phone was really nice. I was straight up and told them I was terminating because I could and planned to move to bill pay lite to get free meteor calls and texts in top of my existing plan for less money.

She offered to add free meteor calls and texts to my existing plan and apply a e5 monthly reduction going firward. She even put up a note to say I should be given an upgrade in a few months time if I want.

Seeing as I had no intention of actually leaving meteor, and can't justify a new phone for a few months yet, this is exactly the result I wanted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Just phoned there now, my contract is not up till Jan. Nice girl asked me if I wanted to switch networks or go on PAYG. Seeing as I'm happy enough on contract I asked for an upgrade and was given one straight away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

BigCon wrote: »
    Just phoned there now, my contract is not up till Jan. Nice girl asked me if I wanted to switch networks or go on PAYG. Seeing as I'm happy enough on contract I asked for an upgrade and was given one straight away...

What did you get as an upgrade?

Lawstud wrote: »
    Just rang meteor there to cancel my 18 mth contract based on the amendment to the terms of contract. Couldn't have been easier. Person I spoke with was very nice. Took 2 mins.

No issues with returning the phone. Why people were under this impression is understandable as the contract does indicate that the phone belongs to Meteor. However, meteor are unilaterally amending the terms of the contract - pursunat to EU law. The EU regulation in question clarly specifies that one is entitled to withdraw form the contract without penalty.
    So are you on PAYG now?

and floggg, are you still in the same contract?

I'm looking for exactly what you got. I'm only 3 months into my 18 month contract so would be great to get out of it now! I'd hope to join the lite plan so it's a month by month contract...

Are they still requesting that you switch to PAYG and then go into a Meteor store to switch to bill pay lite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Hmm this seems interesting.

Im just on the Meteor site now and when i signed up to Bill Pay Smart there was no free Meteor calls/texts and now there is, does anybody know if i will automatically qualify for them?

Or should i try and get out of my contract and resign up for them?

Cheers for any info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Is there a minimun period that you have to be in contract before asking to terminate it?

tech2 wrote: »
    Is there a minimun period that you have to be in contract before asking to terminate it?
    The whole point of this thread is that Meteor are changing the terms of your contract so you can opt not to agree with the changes and therefore the contract is terminated.

tech2 wrote: »

Nope, you could have signed it a week ago for all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I really hated not having free Meteor calls/texts and see this a big bonus. I rang up there and asked about getting my bill cancelled, she asked me a couple of questions and i basically said about free calls/texts and she said if i wanted to cancel over that i would have to pay some fees then i mentioned about the data plan and she seemed to change her tone, and just gave me the email address about cancelling.

If i go ahead with it now does anybody know if i will get penalised for it?

• Advertisement

I'm still in the same contract, so locked in until next April. But thats fine by me, because I only have me desire a little while and no plans on moving networks. Also, it was left a bit ambiguous, but am fairly certain that I can get an upgrade in a while if i wish.

I didn't have to do a thing. She just applied everything there and then (or so I'm told). I'm on the bill pay lite price, with bill pay lite add ons (i.e. free meteors), but just still have the same contract term. More than happy with that!

Now if you want to be free of the 18 month term, then I reckon you will need to cancel and move to PAYG, then switch to Bill pay lite in store.

Of course, if you only want to get out of the term so you can upgrade in a little while, you can do what i did. What she did was add a note to the system saying I can have one if i want. Something similar was done before, so I know it should work if go in store to buy down the line.

I didn't really push that point to hard, because its not a big deal to me at the moment, seeing as I only have my phone 3 months. Won't want another for a wee while yet!

Advertisement