Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VDSL (eFibre) cabinet mapping project

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Is there a technical reason Eircom is limiting installations to homes only within 1km of the FTTC cabinets or is it a commercial one?

I thought FTTC was pretty decent up to 2km from the cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bealtine

funnyname wrote: »
    Is there a technical reason Eircom is limiting installations to homes only within 1km of the FTTC cabinets or is it a commercial one?

I thought FTTC was pretty decent up to 2km from the cabinet?

There are technical reasons VDSL only "stretches" out to 1.5Km see attached:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

VDSL is basically a waste of money beyond about 1km to 1.2km. Also number of cables in a bundle can cut that back to 900m. VDSL is short range, it uses a wider band to get the speed. So almost all VSDL gear does ADSL2 to cope with cross talk or longer lines.

Fibre, Coax and Fixed wireless easily beat ANY copper phone line based technology when you get to more than 1.5km and those can all do 20km easily (coax needs cheap repeaters).

Phone line design was chosen to do less than 4kHz Audio. ISDN, DSL, ADSL2, VDSL all do progressively much shorter distances as speed rises from 144kbps to 100Mbps. After all phone wire pair is only Cat3 cable usually and the 100m Limit for 1Gbps Ethernet is actually using 4 pairs at 250Mbps in parallel and is the superior Cat5e cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Damien A.

A company (KB if I am right) installed some huge cables of orange colour 100m from my house. A check on the eircom website gives:eFibre is available in your area but your address is not yet enabled.

Could it be the efibre coming my way?

Thanks.

I live here by the way: Co. Wexford
    <mod snip: Just north of Enniscorthy, east of the Slaney>

bealtine wrote: »
    There are technical reasons VDSL only "stretches" out to 1.5Km see attached:
    257628.jpg

Vectoring also doesn't actually increase VDSL speed at all. It mitigates the reduction in speed on distances from about 0 to 1.2km due to crosstalk vs only one pair with VDSL. So Vectoring doesn't improve the maximum speed for the distance, just makes it more likely you reach it. On Fibre to Cabinet there is little cross talk in urban areas as the bit from street to your modem has no crosstalk. Vectoring is of most advantage to VDSL only in an Exchange (which gives no increase to maybe 90% of people compared to ADSL2+). It's of limited value in FTTC, but perhaps newer VDSL2 gear has it "included" anyway.

The dashed ADSL2plus line is about 22Mbps, not the 25 or 26 suggested, the graph is optimistic on all the speeds!

If you have FTTC / FTTK, then it's not much work to to do FTTP / FTTH in many cases the existing two pair to a house in a duct can be used to pull in fibre. Overhead wires are no problem to replace with overhead fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

are there companies that can pull a fibre cable to your home replacing the copper

as an example im in a 2002 estate 500m from fibre cabinet with all underground ducting can i contract someone in theory to pull me a fibre cable to my home thereby maximising my connection performance?

if so would you have any clue of the cost of such work?

thanks for all the info you have posted btw!

No.
    Because Eircom own and control that duct and copper.
    Even if you had some other route to the fibre cabinet, there is no incentive whatsoever for Eircom to connect you.

In theory what you suggest is possible. In practice in Ireland impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BG1234

How can I get an idea of when we will be connected up to e-fibre - EIRCOM. I live in the CLontarf area in Dublin and although the e-fibre abailability map indicates that it is currently available, we are not, and eircom can not provide any useful information by either phone, chat or otherwise to tell me when we will and the say that the map is only illustrative. There are some road works ongoing around the area but I have no idea whether this is eircom. upc or whether it is completely unrelated. Is it possible to figure out from this activity whether it is iminent or not. Dont particularly want the hassle of switching to UPC necessarily if a few weeks down the road we get hooked up. But if we are talking months I might just switch (assuming UPC is available).

Anybody any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

BG1234 wrote: »

Anybody any advice?

Have you checked the IrelandOffline map? There is some 'indicative' scheduling information for some of the cabinets in Clontarf.

Thanks for that, thats helpful. Sorry for the stupid question, but will eircom use these cabs to connect us up, we are quite near one that is coloured yellow. Is further wiring required to the households.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

BG1234 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, thats helpful. Sorry for the stupid question, but will eircom use these cabs to connect us up, we are quite near one that is coloured yellow. Is further wiring required to the households.

Not between the cabinet and the house, the existing copper wiring is used.

Try here or the eircom forum for more info on the install. And check out the UPC option anyway.

Thanks clohamon, appreciate that, understand it better now.

Advertisement