Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Is Virgin Media working for people right now? Our broadband+TV have been down for about 20 minutes so far, here in central Limerick City.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Same here Louche Lad, loads of Limerick people on to them via Twitter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭moby2101

Ditto here in South Circular Road Limerick

Also SCRd direction.

virgin have just tweeted that they are "aware of an issue in Limerick and their ninjas are working on it".
    Yes they did tweet ninjas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Back up now, for me at least.

• Advertisement

Our TV + broadband now back up again in the city centre.

Internet down again (though TV working) here in city centre. Have tweeted Virgin Media but I guess they're still in bed.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Internet down again (though TV working) here in city centre. Have tweeted Virgin Media but I guess they're still in bed.
    Our Internet's back up again.

Virgin Media here is so flaky compared with my experience in other countries.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Our Internet's back up again.

Virgin Media here is so flaky compared with my experience in other countries.

Mine was down at 7 as well but is back now.
    UPC had really upped their game in terms of reliability and customer service, but I think it has really gone downhill since the change to Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

The were blocking off the slip road again this morning on the ballysimon road.....is this the same crowd who did the mungret works ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

dashoonage wrote: »
    The were blocking off the slip road again this morning on the ballysimon road.....is this the same crowd who did the mungret works ?

They had the top layer of tarmac pulled up when I passed at 10.

In fairness, the slip has done an incredible job in sorting traffic on the Groody Link Road. There may be added congestion at the M7 traffic lights but it's not near as bad as it was on the link road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

marno21 wrote: »
    They had the top layer of tarmac pulled up when I passed at 10.

In fairness, the slip has done an incredible job in sorting traffic on the Groody Link Road. There may be added congestion at the M7 traffic lights but it's not near as bad as it was on the link road.

they need to **** them traffic lights in the bin and build some roundabouts...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

dashoonage wrote: »
    they need to **** them traffic lights in the bin and build some roundabouts...
    The traffic lights are the only thing keeping that junction functional, because they are able to prioritise certain flows dependent on volume. E.g there is priority given to traffic exiting the M7 westbound and turning right towards town in the morning, and priority given to traffic turning onto the M7 westbound in the evenings. The 2 through lanes on the N24 stop that particular flow building up.

Put in roundabouts there and you will have absolute chaos. It's a fairly well designed junction to be fair to whoever designed it.

What we need now, and pronto, is a left turn slip as there is at Northern Trust, on the Dock Road outbound going towards the N18/M7 eastbound. We've seen how well it works here so it's time for more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

marno21 wrote: »
    The traffic lights are the only thing keeping that junction functional, because they are able to prioritise certain flows dependent on volume. E.g there is priority given to traffic exiting the M7 westbound and turning right towards town in the morning, and priority given to traffic turning onto the M7 westbound in the evenings. The 2 through lanes on the N24 stop that particular flow building up.

Put in roundabouts there and you will have absolute chaos. It's a fairly well designed junction to be fair to whoever designed it.

For the same reason it would be better to have traffic lights at the roundabout just off the Shannon Bridge. But when it was proposed a few years back everybody lost their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

phog wrote: »
    Road Works - Limerick Tunnel – N18

Please note that road works are due to take place on the Limerick Tunnel (N18)

Location Dates Times
    Junction 4 14th September 2017 09.00hrs to 16.00hrs
    Junction 3 18th to 19th September 2017 09.00hrs to 16.00hrs
    Junction 1 to 4 2nd to 4th October 2017 19.30hrs to 06.00hrs

9th to 11th October 2017 19.30hrs to 06.00hrs

A “Stop & Go” system will operate during the work periods.

Sections of the N18 will be Closed to traffic during the following periods:

Location Dates Times
    Junction 1 to 2 25th to 26th September 2017 22.00hrs to 06.00hrs
    Junction 4 to 2 27th to 28th September 2017 22.00hrs to 06.00hrs
    Junction 4 5th October, 2017 22.00hrs. to 06.00hrs*

Traffic will be diverted through the Tunnel on 5th October, but fees will not apply.

Any queries in relation to the above works should be addressed to Direct Route at 061 582 800.
    :cool::cool: Aboy da kid

Here is the area for the junction no in case u cant remember which one is which

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

What's the story with traffic lately, is there roadworks on the Corbally road? Because for the last few nights traffic has been hectic at St Mary's church as late as 7.30pm with traffic going from corbally all the way back past the Hunt Museum and along the Island road back out over the bridge. Never seen it this bad that late in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Limerick91

There were 2 large funerals on the Mill Road the last 2 days, with the deceased reposing in their home.
    This is unusual for city funerals but it certainly added to the traffic in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Thing never uploaded properly

Anyone moved to the SIRO broadband yet? Had Vodafone sales reps out today (SCRd area) and the initial offer looks good.
    Speeds of 150Mb "guaranteed". Thinking about it but interested to hear others' experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wise old Elf - its magic! That can only mean one thing, trouble!!

In all seriousness, I'd love to get it but Siro chose to setup where there is already fibre available :( Live just outside the suburbs, prime location and they didnt even consider it.

• Advertisement

That's a bummer McLove :(

Oh, and no magicing!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Anyone moved to the SIRO broadband yet? Had Vodafone sales reps out today (SCRd area) and the initial offer looks good.
    Speeds of 150Mb "guaranteed". Thinking about it but interested to hear others' experiences.

I signed up to it today. I'm on broadband only with Eir and they're upping it to €50 per month. It's not fibre either.
    Vodafone are installing fibre for me and promising me faster speeds so I've signed up with them, they're doing it for €45 a month. The first 2 months are free and the next 4 months are €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

M18 as far as Tuam opens today at Gort. Not open yet so hopefully that's the last time I've to spend 15 mins getting through Clarenbridge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Berty wrote: »
    M18 as far as Tuam opens today at Gort. Not open yet so hopefully that's the last time I've to spend 15 mins getting through Clarenbridge.

I'm fairly sure you'll still have to go through Clarenbridge if you're traveling to Galway from this side. Unless you go to Tuam and double back from there.

I'm fairly sure you'll still have to go through Clarenbridge if you're traveling to Galway from this side. Unless you go to Tuam and double back from there.

No you just connect at the new, previously missing numbered, on the M6 around Athenry.

Terrible image, who hosts a map sideways anyway.

http://claregalway.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Gort_Tuam_Motorway.jpg
    I watched the signs today and they said Galway straight through at Gort and at the flyover south of Clarenbridge the signs still had Galway to continue on the Kiltiernan intersection.

It wouldn't make sense anyway to have two major cities get a motorway but have a slow tributary road along the old N18.

Shane Ross better open it soon so I can fly home this evening. It's raining anyway, they won't be sticking around long.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No you just connect at the new, previously missing numbered, on the M6 around Athenry.

Aha, that makes a lot more sense! Excellent. :)

I was up and down from Galway a lot this summer and Clarinbridge was second only to the bridge in terms of annoying delays.

Aha, that makes a lot more sense! Excellent. :)

I was up and down from Galway a lot this summer and Clarinbridge was second only to the bridge in terms of annoying delays.

Galway is like Dublin where there is a missing number on their Motorway.

Galway had a missing number by Athenry which has now been filled by the M18 but Dublin still has a missing number between Junction 7 Galway and Junction 9 Limerick, the mysterious Junction 8 :P

Terrible image, who hosts a map sideways anyway.

http://claregalway.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Gort_Tuam_Motorway.jpg
    I watched the signs today and they said Galway straight through at Gort and at the flyover south of Clarenbridge the signs still had Galway to continue on the Kiltiernan intersection.

It wouldn't make sense anyway to have two major cities get a motorway but have a slow tributary road along the old N18.

Shane Ross better open it soon so I can fly home this evening. It's raining anyway, they won't be sticking around long.

It's opening at 4pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Liam Helpful Sash

Can anyone point out any second-hand bookshops in Limerick?

• Advertisement

Can anyone point out any second-hand bookshops in Limerick?

Phil's Book Shop, opposite the car park on Anne's Street (between Thomas Street and Roche's Street).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement