Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suggestions for Irish kitsch - 1960s to 1980s

• 03-01-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

I'm writing a story and I need ideas for Irish kitsch, i.e. certain records, tthings like flat-pack cardboard dolls houses, touristy yokes, statues of Virgin Marys, pictures of St. Padre Pio, anything else...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

How about the "holy trinity" of pictures that were always on the wall - the Sacred Heart in the middle (with a red bulb at his heart....I kid you not!), the pope on one side and JFK on the other!

When Irish folk started to go to Spain on package holidays, there was a plethora of sombreros and plastic bull ornaments brought back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Yes, the Sacred Heart, my grandmother had that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"white lady" statues, people leaving the yellow lens filters on their cars to show they'd been to France, Sodastreams nobody ever had the gas for, fondue sets given as wedding presents and left with the "good" crockery but never used.

Hideous greco-roman columns on the front of oversized, badly heated bungalows so you could think you were the Ewings; serving hatches so you could think you were Hyacinth Bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i shot JR teeshirts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

fryup wrote: »
    i shot JR teeshirts

ngbbs4484be0aa6c20.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Copies of Ireland's Own
    'fabric' style paintings. I know a lot of houses had them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Showbands and Country N Irish singers with their hideous outfits and cheesy publicity photos.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0ZjU_lEMBlhO1FoeuBBXjyJJL8yUz16DHG_TTBrCKCMnbsORYL2TsV10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Moving Statues! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The cheap Irish tourist souvenirs, painted wall hanging plates or ashtrays with 'Souvenir of (insert name of town)', thoughtfully bought by an auntie or some other well-meaning relative. Usually stamped Foreign Made on the back.

Glass cases of china cups, plates, glasses and decanters that are never used.

Holy water fonts in every room, except the bog.

Spooky holy pictures, with the eyes that watch you!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Old Infant De Pragues are becoming collectors items strangely enough.You see them in a lot of pubs and I know a guy who sells them at a vintage market.He says Stephen Rea the actor bought a couple of them from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

H. Williams football!
    0.jpg

Texaco radio watch
    radiowatch2.jpg

Maxol "Free a nipper"
    161996_180855075263193_6095500_n.jpg

Rock with a towns name on it, like bray, I expect "souvenir shops" would have these.
    ROCKT_6.jpg

Plastic bottles of knock holy water.
    731160820_610.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Net curtains that only covered the bottom half of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Postcards of a donkey behind a hedge
    Or a donkey next to a cottage
    Or a donkey and card on a dirt road
    Or a donkey

Postcards of a donkey behind a hedge
    Or a donkey next to a cottage
    Or a donkey and card on a dirt road
    Or a donkey

Good one, the John Hinde postcard; donkeys, colleens and carrot-topped kids.

Advertisement