Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kitten with the sniffles

• 06-12-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I've recently rescued a 10 week old kitten. He was in rough shape when I got him; small, weak and in need of some TLC. I brought him for a once over last week and the vet cleaned him up, gave him his second vac shot and also an antibiotic as I suspected he had a cold.
    1 week later, and his cold seems worse. Should I bring him back? He has a real runny nose and eye and is sneezing a lot. Also looking a bit down, not as cuddly or energetic. I'm concerned as I would imagine his immune system is not very strong.
    But can the vet do anything if he has already had an antibiotic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

I would say to give your vet a ring and see what he thinks. Especially since you said your kitten is already fairly small and weak. Cat flu goes away on its own a lot of the time but occasionally it gets more serious than that & he might need more antibiotics/fluids etc. It's hard to know without seeing him how bad your guy is, but if you ring your vet/vet nurse they should be able to tell you whether to come in or not!

It's best to keep him inside and separated from other cats for now as well, plus plenty of TLC (keep him warm, plenty of water, clean his face gently etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I've recently rescued a 10 week old kitten. He was in rough shape when I got him; small, weak and in need of some TLC. I brought him for a once over last week and the vet cleaned him up, gave him his second vac shot and also an antibiotic as I suspected he had a cold.
    1 week later, and his cold seems worse. Should I bring him back? He has a real runny nose and eye and is sneezing a lot. Also looking a bit down, not as cuddly or energetic. I'm concerned as I would imagine his immune system is not very strong.
    But can the vet do anything if he has already had an antibiotic?

It sounds suspiciously like cat flu but it could also be several other things too so I'd get him back to the vet asap. If he's already had an antibiotic, the vet can prescribe another different sort of antibiotic without any problems.
    You can help make him more comfortable by cleaning his eyes with a cotton ball and warm saline solution. It's very important to make sure that he's eating and more especially drinking as kittens can dehydrate very, very, easily. Small amounts of strong smelling foods like smoked mackerel can be used as a treat and to stimulate his appetite.
    If he'll tolerate it, take him in the bathroom with you when you shower or sit with him in the bathroom with the shower on hot to generate lots of steam. This will help to loosen any gunk he has in his chest and lungs so it'll be easier to cough up and it will help clear his nostrils too.
    If he's listless and 'down', it's best to let him sleep but make sure that he's warm and that he has lots of cuddles.

I had a foster cat that had flu and I added one of the homeopathic 'Pulsatilla' pillules(from health shops or a well known british chemist chain) to his regime each day and it seemed to work every time.

Fingers crossed that he'll be ok and back to normal soon but please keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would bring him back to the vet.
    Is the kitten eating and drinking? If he isn't or not taking much, try warming the food a little in the microwave or adding some warm water(works best with the gravy type food), and keep it the kitten warm, and the eyes clean as you can.
    Kittens can go downhill quite fast with cat flu, but I have seen it take two or even 3 lots of antibiotics before it clears, also I was given a gel for the eyes which cleared them quite fast, but may not be right for your cat.
    It can clear by itself, but if the kitten is lethargic I wouldn't wait too long for improvement.
    One last thing, has the kitten been wormed? if it has worms, that can affect the immune system and make them more sickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

My sincere thanks to you all for your advice.

I took no chances and headed back to the vet last night. Ironically, the little fella came around on Monday big time, but I took him anyway.
    He is fine, it is just a cold that he seems to now be getting over. Since his first visit the vet was actually happy with his progress. He got a steroid shot just to ease the sinus a little and since that he is right as rain.

He has been wormed recently and is fully vacc'd so that is all in order. And trust me, he eats (and drinks) like a little monster! He loves his Royal Canine. :D

Maybe I was just overreacting, but he is just so small and had such a crap start in his life, I want the best for the rest of it.

Now I just have the on-going dilemma of my older kitten bullying him...oh and hiding the xmas tree from the both. :rolleyes:

Advertisement