Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

Going to London this w/end and wanted to know if Tube is safe at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Yeah the tube is safe enough. Although there are areas around the East End where I wouldnt loiter around stations. You get the odd beggar or gobby football fan but if you ignore them like everyone else does you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The tube is as safe as anywhere .

If it's late at night , and you are travelling alone be a little aware . IE pick a carrage that has other people on if possible, be aware of your surroundings.

Take a careful note of the last train times , because once they have gone ...... they have gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

Cheers - my boyfriend moved over there recently and he lives a bit outside of London so we have to get tube and the train back to his place - plan to hit the bars in London on Sat night:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I'm looking at heading to London for a weekend in the middle of July and have been looking for a 'good value' hotel in central London. I came across the Hilton Kensington Olympia @ £84 per night which seems pretty good.

I've checked out the reviews and it's clearly due a refurb and not entirely handy for the tube, but from what I can gather it's not exactly out of the way either. I checked out the local map and I know from a previous walking/getting lost experience in the area that there a number of tube stations within 20-25mins walk as well as presumably a fair few bus routes running down Kensington High Street.

I just checked the bus map here - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/central-london-bus-map.pdf - and it looks like the 9 runs straight through to Piccadilly and the 10 to Oxford Street, so connectivity appears to be pretty good.

I was originally going to ask here whether anyone knew wheter there was a District Line closure scheduled for the weekend or 18/19JUL but even if there is there still shouldn't be a problem given the bus routes passing by.

So . . . apart from being due a refurb can anyone think why this hotel has such good value at the moment ? I would expect to pay £100+ for any sort of hotel room in central London, except for maybe a Travelodge (which is fine too, but I wanted a full service hotel for a change).

z

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's not the most fantastic location, but the 9/10/27 etc do help, and there are other routes within walking distance.

The hotel itself (or at least quite a portion of it) is a tip - even by Hilton standards (I'm not fond). The rooms in the newer part of the building are ok but the older parts are small, old fashioned and all round pretty awful. And if you pay a cheaper rate, guess which part you're likely to be put in? ;)

I wouldn't. There is better out there. Even try chains like Premier Inn (Kings Cross is a nice enough one, with excellent travel links and <£100 some weekends), or if you're feeling adventurous try the likes of hotwire.com (4* hotels in various parts of London for $100 a night or less sometimes). Yes you have to take a chance, but generally they've paid off for me quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just a heads-up for anyone travelling to London, it's looking like there
    will be a 48 hour Tube strike starting at 18.59 Tuesday 9th June through
    to 18.59 on Thursday 11th June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Hey

I'm heading over to London with the 6 girls and we are staying around the bayswater area.I would just like to no what are the best pubs and club in London near Bayswater and where are they located?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

look on beerintheevening.com to find pubs. From memory Bayswater is close to Notting Hill which is worth a stroll around in afternoon.

London has so much in terms of clubs (music) that it depends what you are into, pick up a copy of "Time out" - if you're thinking of copperface-jacks kind of clubs don't bother, many bars stay open late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

piscean wrote: »
    Going to London this w/end and wanted to know if Tube is safe at night?

don't know but london is dead on a sun night , went there after their bank holiday w/e absolutely nothing happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

silverside wrote: »
    if you're thinking of copperface-jacks kind of clubs don't bother, many bars stay open late.

If you're looking for London's answer to Copperface Jacks do bother, go to The Swan in Stockwell.

It's website describes it as having an "unpretentious and friendly atmosphere."

http://www.theswanstockwell.co.uk/the%20club.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Bit concerned over a hotel I have booked for myself hubby and 2 kids. Has anyone stayed in this area or know what the hotel is like? I only realised after making the booking that it is quite a rough area from what I have been told. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

http://www.cityhotellondon.co.uk/

The hotel looks nice but from some of the reviews on trip advisor I might be in for a horrible stay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

foxy06 wrote: »
    Bit concerned over a hotel I have booked for myself hubby and 2 kids. Has anyone stayed in this area or know what the hotel is like? I only realised after making the booking that it is quite a rough area from what I have been told. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

The hotel looks nice but from some of the reviews on trip advisor I might be in for a horrible stay!

No idea about the hotel, but you are right in the "City" there so it will probably be a bit quiet at the weekends, or manic during the week. You are great if you like curry, because Brick Lane is famous for its Bangladshi restaurants.

If you are planning on heading to the tower of London, St Pauls and Buckingham Palace then it's quite good. There are some nice restaurants on London Wall, which should be less than a ten minute walk as well. you can also vist Tower 42 on your travels as you are quite close to that and the Gherkin (Although I'm not sure if you can go up in that).

the reviews don't look too bad to be honest, every hotel has disgruntled guests, but overall it seems to have been given a good rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

foxy06 wrote: »

In fairness a lot of those reviews on the net are written by Yanks and they are intolerant to anything really ,they tend to whine a lot. Places that Irish people would like ,they wouldn't.I'll give you an example a friend of mine came over to stay in my house.The first thing he said was the house was so retro ,my house is 12 months old !!!!!

Pay more heed to what the europeans are writing and you're on the right track .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Thanks folks. Needed a bit of reassurance. If it was just me and hubby I wouldn't mind but was worried about bringing the kids. It seems fairly close to some attractions like Tower of London so it can't be all bad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not that bad an area at all - I used to live nearby :)

I love the City/Square Mile area, the atmosphere around the place on a working day is brilliant.

I also love the way you will have a row of modern ultra plush office buildings and nestled between them, or down a side street, will be a 300 year old church, an old traditional London pub or a historical building. the history surrounding the area, with the old guilds etc is fascinating.

There are places like the Royal Exchange, by Bank tube Station. The history of the place goes back over 400 years, although the building there now is "only" 150 years old or so.

However, when you go in, it is no longer an exchange, but a small shopping mall, with some fairly well known shops like "Tiffany and Co, Gucci, Bulgari and cartier.:D

Probably not really on the tourist route, but worth a mooch around if you have an hour or two to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ann100

I am going to London for a day. I am wondering are there any Irish pubs restaurants or pubs that do food. I will probably go to oxford street for some shopping and then to the London eye any ideas anyone being in London also will be staying in Birmingham know any Irish pubs any good irish music or good ballad session thanks

i would hazard a guess and say that Kilburn would be your best bet.

There are the O'neils pubs, which is what passes for "irish" in London. In other words, they have Aussie bar staff and have "Enjoy the craic" written on the walls. they do Steak and guinness pies though, just to add to the authenticity :D

I pass the castle Pub in golders Green fairly regularly and they advertise irish music. No idea what it is like though. www.beerintheevening.com is your friend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It has to be asked.....

If you're going to London why are you looking for pubs that have Irish ballad sessions ?

If you're looking for pubs that do food well you won't have a problem as almost all of them do so. In fact sometimes there's nothing I like more than a pint of bitter and a steak 'n ale pie :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Why would you even want to eat Irish food in England? There are loads of amazing places to eat there. Best Pakistani and Indian food I've had has been in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ann100 wrote: »
    I am going to London for a day. I am wondering are there any Irish pubs restaurants or pubs that do food. I will probably go to oxford street for some shopping and then to the London eye any ideas anyone being in London also will be staying in Birmingham know any Irish pubs any good irish music or good ballad session thanks

Why do you want to go to Irish pubs in England :confused: I avoid them completely, local pubs much better craic and of course better choice of drink particularly if they have Fullers London Pride.

London Pride, pie and mash and a good cockney knees up. Takes some beating tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mccy02

Hi all

My very first post on boards - very exciting stuff.

Am off to london for the weekend, staying near regents park. Can anyone recommend any good pubs? Will probably arrive at the hotel at about 11pm on fri, so just looking to go somewhere for a few that night as i want to go sightseeing and that the next day.

Heard that o'neills in islington might be good on the sat night?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

mccy02 wrote: »
    Hi all

My very first post on boards - very exciting stuff.

Am off to london for the weekend, staying near regents park. Can anyone recommend any good pubs? Will probably arrive at the hotel at about 11pm on fri, so just looking to go somewhere for a few that night as i want to go sightseeing and that the next day.

Heard that o'neills in islington might be good on the sat night?

Again you are in London, avoid Irish pubs, you might as well just go to your local at home, so I would be looking out for local pubs, Regents Park is not really my area in London, I like to drink in the Fulham Road/Kensington area, would be a bit of a trek from where you are so I would be looking to go to the likes of Covent Garden/Leicester square, though Islington area has some very nice pubs, usually drink close by on match days so not sure about the night, some others might know, but please avoid the Irish pubs ;)

As for your first night, I would be tempted to have a few in your hotel bar.

Regents park is a bit vague, but there's a pub down towards baker street tube called the "volunteer" which might be appropriate for an Irishman in London!!

Its quite a nice pub, in fact there are a few down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mccy02

Regents park is a bit vague, but there's a pub down towards baker street tube called the "volunteer" which might be appropriate for an Irishman in London!!

Its quite a nice pub, in fact there are a few down there.

staying in cardington st in Euston, had a look at the map there. might pop down baker st way tonight and check them out. thanks lads for the advice! had a good read of older posts and am going to try to steer clear of the o'neills kinda places, sure if i wanted an irish pub for a drink on a friday night, i'd just stay here.

mccy02 wrote: »
    staying in cardington st in Euston, had a look at the map there. might pop down baker st way tonight and check them out. thanks lads for the advice! had a good read of older posts and am going to try to steer clear of the o'neills kinda places, sure if i wanted an irish pub for a drink on a friday night, i'd just stay here.

You're pretty close to camden there, check out www.beerintheevening.com for pubs up there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

Can anyone recommend a good cheap hotel/apartment for a girlie shopping weekend to London. What are the best shopping areas - Oxford Street is it? Thanks.

• Advertisement

pampers1 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good cheap hotel/apartment for a girlie shopping weekend to London. What are the best shopping areas - Oxford Street is it? Thanks.

It depends on what sort of shopping you want to do. oxford street would be the run of the mill sort of thing, there is a massive Top Shop and Nike Town, which my wife seems to have trouble avoiding.

Bond Street is where you'll find all the designers (and may even see a few celebs) and posh jewellers and there is also covent garden, which is a must tbh. Good touristy place for both shopping and eating.

Lastly, there is the new shopping centre in White City, Westfield. from what I can gather it is a massive version of Dundrum.

Advertisement