Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD distortion - thoughts based on pic?

• 29-03-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Based on the attached picture would anyone here with experience of TV repair know what part tends to cause this & if it's worth repairing as compared to just buying a new TV?

Model: LE22D450G1W

Also, does anybody here know of any TV repair companies in Dublin that don't charge just to visually inspect the tv by just looking at the issue being recreated? I don't mean opening the TV etc. All I want/need is a quick opinion, I'm not interested in paying money just to be told 1 min later that it can't be fixed or would cost half the cost of a new TV. If its viable to repair then obviously I've no problem paying the going rate for repair at that point.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

In my experience, it is nearly as cheap to buy a new tv than it is to repair. There is usually some bargains to be got on bank holiday weekends. However, if you are good at this sort of thing there is a chance you could pick up the part and replace it yourself.

How old is the tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    In my experience, it is nearly as cheap to buy a new tv than it is to repair. There is usually some bargains to be got on bank holiday weekends. However, if you are good at this sort of thing there is a chance you could pick up the part and replace it yourself.

How old is the tv?

Thanks, if I could find out what part I'd need to replace then I don't mind trying to repair it myself. Nothing to lose, if it bricks the TV during repair, so be it. I already bought a new TV to replace this one. I just need to know what part is most likely to cause this particular type of issue. Thoughts on where/how to find this out? TV is about 3 and a half years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

olewy wrote: »
    Thanks, if I could find out what part I'd need to replace then I don't mind trying to repair it myself. Nothing to lose, if it bricks the TV during repair, so be it. I already bought a new TV to replace this one. I just need to know what part is most likely to cause this particular type of issue. Thoughts on where/how to find this out? TV is about 3 and a half years old.

I'm not sure what part is gone so hopefully someone else will be able to help you with that. The reason I asked how old the tv was was because you should be able to get it repaired under warranty. You have up to six years to do so under irish law.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I'm not sure what part is gone so hopefully someone else will be able to help you with that. The reason I asked how old the tv was was because you should be able to get it repaired under warranty. You have up to six years to do so under irish law.

Thanks, I must look into that. I bought it from PowerCity. I'll start there & see where it leads.

Thanks, I must look into that. I bought it from PowerCity. I'll start there & see where it leads.

Turns out Samsung TVs have 12 months warranty;
    http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/warranty/

I didn't purchase an extended warranty.

From the same site;
    If the product is outside the warranty period you should contact the Samsung Customer Care Team for a chargeable repair.
    But I would expect a manufacturer to be more expensive than an independent repairer.

Does anyone here know of any TV repairers in Dublin or Wicklow that you could recommend please? I've tried http://www.keltecelectronics.ie/contact.php in Wicklow but they charge €40 just to look at it.
    It might be time for me to research how to repair this myself. If anyone here has any good online TV repair DIY guides/resource pls let me know. Tks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The manufacturers warranty is on addition to your statutory rights as a consumer. Your contract is with the store you bought it from. If it's a reasonably new set just out of 1 year then go back to PowerCity and insist they rectify it.

ZENER wrote: »
    The manufacturers warranty is on addition to your statutory rights as a consumer. Your contract is with the store you bought it from. If it's a reasonably new set just out of 1 year then go back to PowerCity and insist they rectify it.

Thanks but it's about 3 and half years old. I'll give them a call anyway to see what the say/charge.

I did a quick Google search & found the below 2 videos to start with. Seems most likely to be the tcon board issue. The tcon boards even from the States don't seem to jutify even the spend on buying the compatible tcon part myself & doing a DIY job myself on it. Further research to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Its the tcon board or a tab bond problem I reckon.
    You would need to take the back off and have a look at the part no.
    It depends but usually if its a small tv its not worth it unless you can get the part for half nothing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks but it's about 3 and half years old. I'll give them a call anyway to see what the say/charge. ...

3.5yrs is fine, it's all a matter of opinion but lots are manufacturers offer 5 year warranties now, read up on the Small Claims Court procedure. At 3.5yrs I would be well within my rights in seeking repair at whomever you purchased it at's expense.

Advertisement