Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP: Why the iPad 'killers' are already dead..

• 23-07-2010 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Not sure I agree with this article.. I believe there is huge interest in android tablets ..but I may be wrong ?

What do you guys think .. does the ipad have an unassailable lead?

"iPad is huge, big, massive hit, an echo of the iPod effect on the MP3 player market and the iPhone effect on the mobile world. Apple has stolen the tablet/netbook industry to the extent competitors face a pretty tough time in even manufacturing their 'iPad killers'.

Apple has already won - and that's even before the product hits the Asia Pacific countries, in many of which it has only today been made available for sale.

This is why Apple has won the battle for tablet computing already, killing those nascent 'iPad-killers' ..before they even get born."

Full article here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

zod wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with this article.. I believe there is huge interest in android tablets ..but I may be wrong ?

What do you guys think .. does the ipad have an unassailable lead?

"iPad is huge, big, massive hit, an echo of the iPod effect on the MP3 player market and the iPhone effect on the mobile world. Apple has stolen the tablet/netbook industry to the extent competitors face a pretty tough time in even manufacturing their 'iPad killers'.

Apple has already won - and that's even before the product hits the Asia Pacific countries, in many of which it has only today been made available for sale.

This is why Apple has won the battle for tablet computing already, killing those nascent 'iPad-killers' ..before they even get born."

Full article here

Netbooks will surely still out sell it. As far as i am concerned it is merely a novelty trinket, i don't really see why there would be much interest in making a competitor.

I had looked into getting a tablet laptop before for out on site, you can get tailor made surveying software for the touchscreen, they tend to be durably built for this kind of thing. The ipad offers nothing like this.

The complaints that it is just an oversized ipod touch are true, but the same would be applicable to an android device unless they can deliver a lot more with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Well, what should I think when it comes from a self-confessed "Apple Holic" fanboy...? The tone of the article is tempting me not to take that site seriously anymore.

Edit:
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    The complaints that it is just an oversized ipod touch are true, but the same would be applicable to an android device unless they can deliver a lot more with it.
    If an android tablet could deliver just half of what a current android phone is capable of, it'd already offer more than the iPad currently can, and I can't see them being any less than full-featured. Dell Slate, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The article is absolute rubbish. The ipad is a jumbo ipod touch that has to be jailbroken to reach anywhere close to its full potential.

I don't need to extol the virtues of the android OS in the android forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If it was true then android phones would not have ben able to take on the iphone. However all I see are people around me moving to android phones instead if apple.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The ipad looks good. Other than that it is a pointless waste of money and only bought because people think it is cool. I'd rather have a decent netbook for half the price, with 10 times the functionality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Was thinking about getting a tablet device for my mam, she's a complete and utter technophobe but would hopefully be able to use something so simple. I was thinking more towards android but my brother is insisting an iPad would be the better choice because it's more intuitive.

Although I was thinking a SENSE style approach would be nice, swipe left for music, right for radio right again for internet and again for youtube etc.

Of course I'm swayed away from Apple due to the restrictions etc and because I've been so impressed with my Desire over an iPhone so was just wondering what yee folk think?

For a complete technophobe to reiterate! Any suggestions on a good android based one or is it too early and none are yet available?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have an iPad, I knew what it did when I bought it, all it is is a big iPod touch, anyone who tells you otherwise is an apple fanboi. However making an iPod touch 4x bigger really unlocks the browsing experience and the ability to digest content, such as ebooks, e magazines, rss feeds etc.

The 2 main massive deficiencies in the iPad are no multitasking and no flash. You can allow proper background multitasking via jailbreaking it and using backgrounder, but having to use crude cydia hacks to get the best out of your iPad is dubious at best.

If Android wants to bring the tablet fight to iOS like it has the phone fight, I would suggest they introduce some sort of window based multitasking e.g. Can have web window open on left of screen and TV/Movie playing on the right of the screen. I think that would certainly give a good edge. Android multitasking is already much better than iOS4 multitasking, so they should work to improve that edge especially on tablets.

The other problem Android faces, is facing off against Appstore. Appstore is much better than the Android store in some areas, such as games in particular, and games are one area the ipad shines due to the screen real estate. For an Android slate to compete well with iPad, we would need to see an increase in the quality of apps. On a phone the difference between the 2 appstores is minimised as you really only use a phone for soo much, and android market matches off quite well with appstore for most things you'd want to be able to do. Flash, however could be a great leveller in this regard, if Android slates can tap into the wealth of free games out there.

The iPad is just too much of a closed system, and the apps are very expensive. You could spend the price of the iPad again on apps. If you aren't going to jailbreak your iPad, don't buy one. I await impatiently to see what Android tablets we will see in Q1 2010.

Ignore the fanboi in the OP, the iPad is fatally flawed, much the same way the original iPhone was, and the competition is already reacting. I see a competitive tablet market in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

5starpool wrote: »
    The ipad looks good. Other than that it is a pointless waste of money and only bought because people think it is cool. I'd rather have a decent netbook for half the price, with 10 times the functionality.

If the Ipad (the 64gb Wifi/3g) version were around 300 euros I would buy it, otherwise I agree totally with your post. 800 euros!!.... for a device that does not even had a USB port is a lot of money, I could buy 3 netbooks with 250gb memory for that price. Not only that,,, when apple come out with their generation 2 ipad next year the 800 euro version will not be work even half its current price. Next Ipad for sure will have front and back cameras and more business functionalities. As it stands its a extremely expensive device (way too over priced).

I have an iphone and Ipod and I would say I have easily spent more on itunes than the cost of the device, Apple should focus on getting more apple users to their store by lowering the price of ipad/iphone and getting revenue from Itunes (via songs and apps)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

Advertisement