Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenged Sevenfold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Pretty much sums up the similarities with Metallica etc…. and the sound they were going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Jofspring wrote: »
    Agreed. It does feel at times like listening to Metallica or Maiden with M.Shadows voice but I for one like it.

Some of the riffs sound like stuff we have all heard before but they just sound quality when mixed in with Shadows vocals.

People were worried about the drumming but I think it was nailed.

Can't wait for the Live show as going by the album it is going to be unlike anything we have seen from them in Ireland yet with the added Pyro.

Looking forward to seeing them live as well, hopefully they'll beef up their set a little bit though, the last time I seen them headline a show they only played about an hour. If they want to be up there with the bands they keep mentioning, Metallica, Maiden, etc, they're going to need to step up on that front as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Listening to this for the first time.

It is a definite departure in sound from previous albums. But continuing on in the logical progression from Nightmare.
    It is very metallica-ish. 90's metallica, but with a different vocal style. I for one like shadows's vocal style so I like it.

But I can see why others dont.

I also love the track "crimson day"...I think I'm getting old or something, but I like metal ballad songs a lot more these days :P

The only song that I still haven't warmed to is Planets. I have listened to Hail to King so much I skip it a good bit but I am loving every other song on it. The choruses are really melodic and the riffs while predictable enough and are familiar to stuff we have heard from other bands do the job very well.

I can see Avenged picking up a lot of new fans with this album, people that may not either have bothered with them before and a lot that probably haven't even heard of them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The only song that I still haven't warmed to is Planets. I have listened to Hail to King so much I skip it a good bit but I am loving every other song on it. The choruses are really melodic and the riffs while predictable enough and are familiar to stuff we have heard from other bands do the job very well.

I can see Avenged picking up a lot of new fans with this album, people that may not either have bothered with them before and a lot that probably haven't even heard of them before.

funny that as Planets has actually become my fav song on the album:D

St. James is a perfect bonus song aswell, was too "poppy" for the album - brilliant lyrics for all us Jimmy fans :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

The constant bashing of this band for being obvious with their influences (and yes, at times, derivative) is getting really tiresome. They aren't the first band to do it, they won't be the last, and it doesn't make their music less enjoyable by default.

No one said it makes their music less enjoyable if you're into that sort of thing. I'd better not mention the "overkill" logo then :-p

No one said it makes their music less enjoyable if you're into that sort of thing. I'd better not mention the "overkill" logo then :-p

Plenty of people have though. That's the annoying part :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭yknaa

Also in the Irish Times tomorrow there will be an interview with the band.

• Advertisement

Jesus that's great to see. When's the last time a band like Avenged have been No.1 in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Jesus that's great to see. When's the last time a band like Avenged have been No.1 in Ireland.

Not sure but Meteora by Linkin Park and Metallicas Death Magnetic were number 1 albums here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

My Chemical Romance went to #1 ? (gets sick in mouth)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think paramore got number 1, qotsa did too. It means exactly SFA no matter how they sugarcoat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gamingismylife

Mushy wrote: »
    Think paramore got number 1, qotsa did too. It means exactly SFA no matter how they sugarcoat it.

SFA?:confused:

SFA?:confused:

Sweet is the S, A is All and F Shouldnt be hard to figure out now

Avenged drop straight to number 11, I suppose NIN are gone in at number 5 then again like he said it means SFA haha.

RTE 's review of Hail to the King

By the same chap who gave WtF 2 out 5

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

The constant bashing of this band for being obvious with their influences (and yes, at times, derivative) is getting really tiresome. They aren't the first band to do it, they won't be the last, and it doesn't make their music less enjoyable by default.

I haven't heard the album yet, their previous stuff hasn't really appealed to me but I just saw this today:

Rob Flynn has some strong opinions on their influences:

https://www.facebook.com/MachineHead?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

He's fairly bang on in fairness with the similarities but feck it I still like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Have just litened to it now on Spotify. They are still not my cup of tea but the "influences" are so obvious that it's difficult to hear the band for their own talents.

The Guns n Roses song "Doing Time" is like a Use your Illusion outtake!

• Advertisement

I haven't heard the album yet, their previous stuff hasn't really appealed to me but I just saw this today:

Rob Flynn has some strong opinions on their influences:

https://www.facebook.com/MachineHead?ref=stream&hc_location=stream
    I was expecting to read a bit of jealous nonsense when I clicked on that, but to be fair it's hilarious!

Not long away now to Dublin show, Last time I saw them the tracks I enjoyed most were
    God Hates Us
    and the epic
    A Little Piece Of Heaven
    but a quick scazz at recent setlists suggests they're playin neither. oh well lookin forward to it nonetheless even if the latest tribute album wasn't great.

Also decent enough Interview with 5FDP from the Irish times, They see this slot as a platform for their own 2014 tour so a future date in Ireland could be likely as far as Im aware their last outing here was supporting LOG. http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/five-finger-death-punch-on-the-wrong-side-of-heaven-but-doing-just-fine-1.1611927?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Anyone have any idea of the stage times for each band tonight?

Dargull wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of the stage times for each band tonight?

From metal ireland

Stage times for O2 in Dublin tonight. Avatar (7.15-7.45pm), Five Finger Death Punch (8.05-8.50pm) and Avenged Sevenfold 9.20-11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

i thought that Device were to be the first support act?????

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mattyz69 wrote: »
    i thought that Device were to be the first support act?????

Nope they cancelled about 2 months ago or so?

Great performance from them last night. Biggest disappointment was when they announced they weren't allowed use their pyro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Good gig. Has to be the smallest crowd I've ever seen at the O2 though. They blocked off the seating and standing area. Never seen them block off the standing before. We had seated tickets and easily walked down to standing, in the end we just decided to sit. Avatar were your typical opener, nothing special. Great musicianship but a questionable singer. Five Finger were fantastic! Never heard much of their stuff and I loved it. Crowd were really into them.

For A7X themselves they were fantastic but for the whole night I kept thinking "not as good as the Olympia show" as I do not believe they will top that show, least not in my eyes. The venue did not let them use their pyro which was a shame as I heard it was fantastic. Still unsure as to how I feel about the new stuff, Hail to the King was fantastic, the rest I could have done without as they have much better songs in their catalogue. I couldn't help but draw the "Sad but True" comparisons for "This Means War", especially when shadows emphasised on how heavy the song is, undeniably similar to Hetfield. The crowd seemed pretty dead all through Avenged. Dunno if it was the security influence but it was definitely the tamest metal show I've been to!

But I won't detract from a great gig that I thoroughly enjoyed. Hopefully Ireland gets a few more similar. But the need for a medium sized venue was truly apparent!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great performance from them last night. Biggest disappointment was when they announced they weren't allowed use their pyro.

And Rammstein were??? I think a porky is being told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Was a fantastic evening :)

The openers, Avatar, I really enjoyed them! Thought they had some fun/catchy tunes.

Five Finger were brilliant!! Would definately see them again.

My first time seeing Avenged and I found them funtastic! Shame about lack of ticket sales, blocked off standing/seating and no pyro.

Anyone have any idea why pyro would not be allowed?? Cause I do remember Rammstein playing there and I'm pretty sure they had one or two flames going ;)

The blocked off seats/standing area and the O2 being so empty kinda saddened me, will it put metal bands off coming here? Is the metal scene getting smaller? Or just the fact, it's a Tuesday and A7X target audience had to go to school the next day... ponder ponder!

Advertisement