Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canada: Irish In Calgary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

For furniture head up to the MCC thrift store in the north east (around 37th street I think)

I got a couch, coffee table, otterman, floor lamp and tv stand for $170. All fairly decent stuff aswell,a lot better than I ever had renting in Ireland.

Y'all find s man with man on kijiji to do the run for bout $60

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paultech45

Hi I am in the process of applying for jobs and planning to move to Calgary. Iam a motorcycle and small engine mechanic for the past 25 years. I have ran my own business for 17 years but finding it very hard to make money in Ireland. Any advice on good places to live in the city? I have to get a job offer for my visa but have had alot of positive feed back because of my work experience. any Irish groups or clubs in Calgary? thanks Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 18 damob9

H Paul
    Theres an Irish Cultural Society and a Gaa club called the Calgary Chieftains they have websites and Facebook pages and there's a facebook group called Irish in Calgary . The people in that group are very helpful and give a lot of info and advice.
    Best of luck
    Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

paultech45 wrote: »
    Hi I am in the process of applying for jobs and planning to move to Calgary. Iam a motorcycle and small engine mechanic for the past 25 years. I have ran my own business for 17 years but finding it very hard to make money in Ireland. Any advice on good places to live in the city? I have to get a job offer for my visa but have had alot of positive feed back because of my work experience. any Irish groups or clubs in Calgary? thanks Paul

https://www.facebook.com/groups/132443770140133/ these are good people

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paultech45

thanks damien ill check them out, hopefully the move will work out for me but it is looking very promising. It will make a welcome change not to be listening about the recession and doom and gloom! Its a shame that we cant make a decent living in Ireland any more. Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Ill be in Calgary next Tuesday for at least a week and maybe much longer than that. Would love to meet Boardsies in Calgary...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Ill be in Calgary next Tuesday for at least a week and maybe much longer than that. Would love to meet Boardsies in Calgary...

swing by the northwest i can have a beer and give you the lowdown ect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

TechnoPool wrote: »
    swing by the northwest i can have a beer and give you the lowdown ect

Cheers Techno, i'll give ya a pm and could meet up for a few beers next week. should have a new Calgary Mobile number by this time next week, eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fonzy72

Hey I'm really looking for responsible heads to work in cafes sw ne and downtown, anyone looking? Pm me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

You should post it on the irish in calgary facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/132443770140133/?bookmark_t=group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishladdy

hey just got offered a job in calgary just wondering whats it like to live there and is it a good city? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

what line of work u in irishladdy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishladdy

I work in logistics mate

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CobhLanger

Anyone working in the Oil sand's/Derrick's? Looking to get work in these area's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

wheres the derricks? whats your skills?

On the Canadian jobs post's their looking for derrickhand's etc. in Edmonton,Calgary and red deer

Im a Heavy Diesel Mechanic by trade but want to get away from it

the oil rig work is an apprenticeship in Alberta you will have to start off at the bottom as a leasehand/roughneck and work your way up and coming on a 2 year visa you will probably never reach standard of a derrickhand as it can take 3 years and the visa is only 2 and the oil drilling company wont give you an LMO sadly. i looked into this a lot been in contact with them. also the oil rig work is seasonal usually taking place from sept- march/April each year so another thing to take into consider:D you will might possibly get a leashand job but it probably wont be until winter the money is good but back breaking hard. if i was you i would stick to changing the starters.alternators and the prox switches in diggers for 50 bucks an hour then to start off as a dogs bollex making lads lunches and doing there washes because that is primarily the role of a leashand the oil company's told me that themselves:D

Cheers lad

What about work in the mine's? I also have a Rigid Truck Licence.

not a clue about mines mate:D i am sure you would get work no probs in the oil sands i dont no much about that though.

Are ya over there yourself now?

• Advertisement

no mate heading to calgary 16th april:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishGinger

Hi everyone.

My boyfriend and i are moving to calgary in May.
    I just like to get an idea of the best place or way to start looking for an apartment ??? What area is the best to live in???

Also if there are any irish over there at the moment how are ye getting on??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Also if there are any irish over there at the moment how are ye getting on??

:D Too many Irish there, its like we have invaded the place. I remember i lived in Calgary for 2 months in 2007 and i never met a single Irish person, back there recently and all the hostels and pubs were Jam packed with Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oreilly09

Converted to Calgary. Boards.ie sold it well!

:D Too many Irish there, its like we have invaded the place. I remember i lived in Calgary for 2 months in 2007 and i never met a single Irish person, back there recently and all the hostels and pubs were Jam packed with Irish.

Im just hoping we dont get a name for ourselves like the lot in Oz at the mo.

So should we expect string tops and shorts in May or??????

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

thankfully theres a limit each year. and also people with criminal records have a hard time to get in to canada where as oz seems to allow them in. sure if Calgary gets that busy just move on. Edmonton has not been hit with mass Irish YET:D

Calgary22 wrote: »
    thankfully theres a limit each year. and also people with criminal records have a hard time to get in to canada where as oz seems to allow them in. sure if Calgary gets that busy just move on. Edmonton has not been hit with mass Irish YET:D

we dont even know why we picked calgary ha!!! think everyone heads to toronto and vancouver anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Im the opposite, ive been here over 2 years now and met less than a dozen irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 totsy88

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    the oil rig work is an apprenticeship in Alberta you will have to start off at the bottom as a leasehand/roughneck and work your way up and coming on a 2 year visa you will probably never reach standard of a derrickhand as it can take 3 years and the visa is only 2 and the oil drilling company wont give you an LMO sadly.

Your apprenticeship starts at motorhand not derrickhand. You can get to motorhand in way less than two years once you put your back into it.

After floorhand you have to take on an epprentiship to go any higher such as motorhand (rigtech 1) derrickhand (rigtech 2) and Driller (rigtech 3) respectively.
    http://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/content/RequestAction.asp?aspAction=GetHTMLProfile&format=html&occPro_ID=71018427&SNT_ID=25

A compnay will be much more likely to give you an LMO when you have given in the hours for them. No surprise they said no to LMO's over the phone.

Advertisement