Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Linux Meet-up. Anyone Interested?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Count me in, after this Saturday I'm on hols from work for two weeks so any time is good for me. Will be nice to finally meet some like minded Linux heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Ok folks don't forget tomorrow meet up at 1.30 @ UCD. Meeting starts at 2.00.

Heres the times etc and how to get there: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054903417

Ahh ****e lads, start work at 2 tomorrow so won't be able to make it. You guys have another meeting scheduled?

Let you know see if anyone turns up for this one first :)

EVERONE!!!
    LINUX MEETUP TOMORROW
    DONT FORGET !

sorry for shouting :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Well....how did it go?

Khannie wrote:
    Well....how did it go?
    Yeah I'd like to know too, any chance of another one soon? Off work for the next three weeks so I'd enjoy a Linux geek meet.

Khannie wrote:
    Well....how did it go?

Great. 13 of us showed up not bad really. We had a demo of the xgl (3D) desktop on one of the lads laptops, really cool btw. Then we got talking about the direction of the LUG etc and what we want to achieve, before we knew it three hours had gone by. We agreed to meet up the 4th Saturday of every month so next meeting is 22nd april though venue hasn't been decided yet.

I put some stuff together on a website (bear in mind though its a work in progress). The minutes of the meeting etc is there: www.freewebs.com/dublinlug/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

sorry couldnt make it lots on last week, next one should be on, i heard it went well from blowfish.

a little OT but what would people recommend as the best linux based dedicated firewall for a sun sparc machine? bascially want to turn it into a firewall only.

If possible I could bring it along next time and use it to demo an install and a bit of configuration?? Not just for someone to do it for me (as some are probably thinking), but to be shown how to and others shown to.

What u think? useless idea???:D

let me know. i think it might be interesting for some to see a linux based firewall in action

and yes i am a noob to linux :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

gline wrote:
    a little OT but what would people recommend as the best linux based dedicated firewall for a sun sparc machine? bascially want to turn it into a firewall only.

Personally, I wouldnt put linux on a Sparc machine. The hardware was designed with Solaris in mind, and Solaris was designed with Sparc architecture in mind. You can get OpenSolaris for nothing, and it'll run just as well on your Sparc... There are some amazing things in Solaris that wont be seen on Linux for years to come. If I have an x86 box, then I'd definitely be installing Linux on it, but when I have Sparc hardware.... (Which reminds me, I have a Sun Ultra2 in need of a good reinstall)

To answer your questing honestly tho, if I really had to put linux on a Sparc box, it'd proably be debian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement