Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So saying to a customer well you dont need an app on Windows Phone 7. In order to help you save on your bill most popular messaging services like skype, facebook, viber and etc are integrated so you dont need to mess around with it and down the app or look for it. All you need to do is go into messaging. Click the three little dots, click settings and add an account.

Now that would be something to brag about.

oddly enough the N900 did it out of the box from what I remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I wouldnt call it useless. Its the best one we got :D (the only one we got)

Its just a clunky not WP7 like design. Maybe he will revise the UI once enough feedback comes through on reviews. Surely bad reviews will show the dev that the design language is bad and not what users want.

Unless he wants to crash and burn and then abandom the app after a couple of months and make it into a waste of my money app.

Its got a few issues. For example, the 19 bus still shows up on it. The bus was scrapped last August.

Not matching the familiar WP7 interface is annoying, but not a big deal. What is a big deal is that its slow. It needs to be faster, or else more functional than the mobile site, right now, its not.

Another issue I've got is that the app doesnt always save stops. It says it saves them, then when I open the app again, they're gone.

There are also a lot of elements that look like they can be clicked on, but cant be.

Its a new app, and its bound to have glitches, they all do, (official Twitter app is a disgrace for example).
    The developer is clearly keen on getting the kinks worked out though. They've already released an update, and even tweeted me about what I've said about it.

I don't know if the Dev read something I said here, or just the review on the WP Marketplace, but if you're reading this, start a thread here for user feedback. I'd love to see the app grow and improve, and I'm sure it will. There are plenty of developers on here already, chatting directly to users.
    Bambi wrote: »
    use this, way better http://dublinbuslive.com/

This is exactly what I need. Thank you :D
    Fast, lightweight, simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Can anyone tell me how maps work on wp7?
    I was trying to find a place this morning but I can't seem to search for places within maps, the map only shows me where I am, I want to type an address in and get directions to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

54kroc wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how maps work on wp7?
    I was trying to find a place this morning but I can't seem to search for places within maps, the map only shows me where I am, I want to type an address in and get directions to it.

Settings -> region+language -> Change "Browser & search language" at the bottom to English (United Kingdom)

Bob = uncle.

testicle wrote: »
    Settings -> region+language -> Change "Browser & search language" at the bottom to English (United Kingdom)

Bob = uncle.

Cheers, that worked a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Cheers, that worked a treat.

Unfortunately it's still not as good as Google Maps for finding spots in Ireland. try gMaps or Bingle maps.

TBi wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's still not as good as Google Maps for finding spots in Ireland. try gMaps or Bingle maps.

After spending another day with my Omnia W I decided to return it today.
    The maps was a deal breaker for me being something I use quite a lot, although it worked, imo it wasn't as good or as easy to use as maps on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Sign up to Nokia Beta Labs to download a copy of Nokia Transport, then post feedback asking for better support for Dublin. Works great if you happen to be in London at the moment :-D

You can install it onto any Windows Phone from the web site

http://betalabs.nokia.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Anyone have issues syncing the Lumia 800 with Zune? Keeps telling me to disconnect and reconnect the phone. Seems to be a common issue with Windows 7 but can't seem to find a solution.

After spending another day with my Omnia W I decided to return it today.
    The maps was a deal breaker for me being something I use quite a lot, although it worked, imo it wasn't as good or as easy to use as maps on android.

Or you could have installed gMaps/Bingle and gotten the same result?

I never liked maps on android, much preferred the iOS version.

• Advertisement

I could have but I just wasn't happy enough to keep it and still had two days to bring the phone back, so off it went.
    Picked up a new galaxy s2 this evening and I'm happy as larry, well until I find a problem with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I could have but I just wasn't happy enough to keep it and still had two days to bring the phone back, so off it went.
    Picked up a new galaxy s2 this evening and I'm happy as larry, well until I find a problem with it too.

Your a hard person to please :) what's wrong with the s2? :)

Your a hard person to please :) what's wrong with the s2? :)

Nothing at all, I should have put a smiley in the end of that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

chrislad wrote: »
    Anyone have issues syncing the Lumia 800 with Zune? Keeps telling me to disconnect and reconnect the phone. Seems to be a common issue with Windows 7 but can't seem to find a solution.

No problems here.
    Try using a different cable, or USB port on your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Is it unreasonable of me to expect that O2 ad Meteor list the Nokia Lumia on their websites on launch day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Is it unreasonable of me to expect that O2 ad Meteor list the Nokia Lumia on their websites on launch day ?

Yes. :rolleyes:

Just kidding, no word at all on it for some reason. Was the same with the GS2 when it was first released. I expect it to be free on Meteor and Emobiles highest tariff though.

Yes. :rolleyes:

Just kidding, no word at all on it for some reason. Was the same with the GS2 when it was first released. I expect it to be free on Meteor and Emobiles highest tariff though.

I might take a wee spin to Dundrum to see if they have them in store. The white one looks white :D

I might take a wee spin to Dundrum to see if they have them in store. The white one looks white :D

I'm in a store and don't have pricing yet so... :pac:

I'm in a store and don't have pricing yet so... :pac:

Thanks. Neither O2 nor Meteor ?

Thanks. Neither O2 nor Meteor ?

I work for a dual meteor/emobile store. Pricing will be released today, they just seem to be secretive I guess. Competition and all that.

• Advertisement

They didn't even have the Omnia W on the website yet it was in the store. Bloody annoying.

I hope it pops up sooner or later, although i don't really want a locked nokia but if the price is right...

Meteor Prices:

710 is 289.99 on payg, 800 is 439.99 on payg.

710 from free on Bill, 800 is from 49.99 on bill.

The white one looks white :D

Lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Starting to see a Nokia/WP7 media push now. Spotted ads on quite a few buses and walking down Grafton St yesterday the shops had displays up and units on demo mode in the windows. Vodafone have a banner on their website too.

It's about bloody time, you can't sell something to people if they don't know that it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Sounds the same as vodafones pricing, doubt o2 will be radically different. Don't forget its cheaper on amazon.de for simfree ones, even for the pink and blue ones which are the nicest by far and which no network here carries.

Sounds the same as vodafones pricing, doubt o2 will be radically different. Don't forget its cheaper on amazon.de for simfree ones, even for the pink and blue ones which are the nicest by far and which no network here carries.

Yeah but its a lot handier to buy it to the shop. Just in case something does go wrong you bring it back to them. Its not always the case but dealing with online shops is sometimes a pain in the hole.

Though personally id order it online :) Its cheaper and SIM free.

Price guard might be worth a try as well, they have the lumia 800 for €349 delivered.
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/NOKIA-LUMIA-800-SCHWARZ-8-MPx-KAMERA-TOUCHSCREEN-HANDY-GPS-SMARTPHONE-WLAN-UMTS-/140704635108?pt=DE_Handy_s&hash=item20c2a658e4#ht_3493wt_1156

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Some of you might remember I posted her a few weeks back saying that I had unfortunately broke my screen on my E900. The phone still worked perfectly though, touch screen and everything. So, I ordered a new screen but looked a bit complex to fix and I was afraid of breaking it. I brought it down to fonemenders in Sandyford on Tuesday and they quoted me 70 for a repair, I showed him I had the screen so he said 35. Bit more than I was hoping to pay but I went along with it.

Today I picked up the phone and he showed me that when he turned it on It was asking to be connected to my PC and he hoped that it would be okay when I got it home. Well its not. When I plug it into my PC it attempts to restore it but it fails every time. i plan on bringing it back to fonemenders but don't really know what they will do for me.

Is my phone bricked? Can it be brought back from the dead?

Any help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

This the same PC with the previous backup when you installed Mango if so the Restore should work, If still not working Go into the bootloader screen and see if there is a code like p150 I think on the middle band color

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Some of you might remember I posted her a few weeks back saying that I had unfortunately broke my screen on my E900. The phone still worked perfectly though, touch screen and everything. So, I ordered a new screen but looked a bit complex to fix and I was afraid of breaking it. I brought it down to fonemenders in Sandyford on Tuesday and they quoted me 70 for a repair, I showed him I had the screen so he said 35. Bit more than I was hoping to pay but I went along with it.

Today I picked up the phone and he showed me that when he turned it on It was asking to be connected to my PC and he hoped that it would be okay when I got it home. Well its not. When I plug it into my PC it attempts to restore it but it fails every time. i plan on bringing it back to fonemenders but don't really know what they will do for me.

Is my phone bricked? Can it be brought back from the dead?

Any help much appreciated.

Sounds like you've got a messed up firmware or OS. Your best bet is to flash on the firmware your self in emrgency mode. Select a firmware of your choice from the list in the link below and flash away. If I was you I'd flash the Open EU firmware.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935578

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement