Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC/Horizon, speed less than 50Mb instead of 120

• 03-04-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm sure this has been written about but I'm really cheesed off about the constant low speed of internet with the new Horizon that I signed up too. By contract they say 120Mb but my speed trials over the last 2 months , on average, show it to be less then 50, every time.
    Do we as customers have no rights any more with this kind of thing?? Is this not a breach of contract on their part? I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot , all of us would be in court ?
    Any suggestions, is it worth threatening legal action due to this breach in terms of what they promised but fail to deliver on?

Cheers

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

I'm on 200 Mbps and get 70 at most, would like to know if anything can be done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i am on 120 and bugger dropped to 7mpbs lol,forgot to reboot my router as it was very late into morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

galson wrote: »
    I'm on 200 Mbps and get 70 at most, would like to know if anything can be done too.

try plugging a network cable in and see what your actually getting with out drop over the wifi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, if you are getting that speed on WiFi then it's common enough that your laptop wifi itself is only 54. As the above poster suggests, plug directly in with a network cable to see true speeds.

If it is the wifi then you can buy a cheap usb adaptor to get 150/300mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Also when testing via Ethernet make sure your computer has a gigabit Ethernet port or you'll only get 100mbps anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

UPC should do some sort of help page with all those kind of good suggestions for people in difficulty, especially some of the obvious ones that most people would not cop...Even me, am I'm working in electronics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

They do.

If you dont connect a PC to the horizon with a wired gigabit connection it makes absolutly no sense to have a 200 meg package, the entry level is still about twice the possible speed or most wireless devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

UPC are only required to deliver the advertised speed to the router, if the customer wishes to use a slow speed connection from the router to their machine that is customer's choice and not UPC's problem. Testing the speed on wi-fi makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

ardmacha wrote: »
    UPC are only required to deliver the advertised speed to the router, if the customer wishes to use a slow speed connection from the router to their machine that is customer's choice and not UPC's problem. Testing the speed on wi-fi makes no sense.

ok. Well, I have the new Horizon box, so its just connected into that, straight off. I have no router as such, is it recommended that a good wireless router is used to replace the wireless on the horizon box, ( knocking off the dhcp on the horizon box then i gather?)
    How do others have the setup to get as close to the 120Mb/sec as possible?

Cheers

Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

they have wired connections or are using a 5 ghz external router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement