Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siege of Limerick VII

• 05-01-2012 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭

I know somebody promoting the siege always puts the thread up, but there never seems to be much discussion considering its importance in the Irish scene now. The first batch of bands have been announced here, if anybody missed it; siegeVII-2.jpg

I'm not familiar with the foreign bands but i'm a big ofac fan and i'm really looking forward to seeing Alter of plagues.

Good start?

Does anybody here frequent the gig?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

yeah me and my friends go all the time for the past 2-3 years and while the metal there wouldnt be our "type" of metal we do have a great laugh at it regardless and theres always some good bands we need more things like this in limerick, i always look forward to it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I know somebody promoting the siege always puts the thread up, but there never seems to be much discussion considering its importance in the Irish scene now. The first batch of bands have been announced here, if anybody missed it;

I'm not familiar with the foreign bands but i'm a big ofac fan and i'm really looking forward to seeing Alter of plagues.

Good start?

I've been at all of them bar the first one. Last one was my favourite, as it was my first time actually playing at a Siege. ;) I usually post a thread on the Siege here, but I've nothing to do with the event itself.

Line up so far is awesome, some really great bands there. Excited about seeing Altar Of Plagues. WuW are also an amazing band, I'd definitely recommend to check them out! Haven't heard much from Stuka Squadron and Valbory, but no doubt I'll have a listen before I see them.
    yeah me and my friends go all the time for the past 2-3 years and while the metal there wouldnt be our "type" of metal we do have a great laugh at it regardless and theres always some good bands we need more things like this in limerick, i always look forward to it a lot.

There was a very diverse line-up at the last Siege, with everything from doom to death, to tech and hardcore, and dancy wob-wob metal. I'm surprised nothing was to your taste. :P What metal would you be into yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Who was the dancy wob wob metal band last year?

Who was the dancy wob wob metal band last year?

My description may have been a little vague :pac:
    I was referring to Censura, they're a dubstep/hardcore hybrid. Pretty cool stuff.

roast wrote: »
    I know somebody promoting the siege always puts the thread up, but there never seems to be much discussion considering its importance in the Irish scene now. The first batch of bands have been announced here, if anybody missed it;

Good start?

I've been at all of them bar the first one. Last one was my favourite, as it was my first time actually playing at a Siege. ;) I usually post a thread on the Siege here, but I've nothing to do with the event itself.

Line up so far is awesome, some really great bands there. Excited about seeing Altar Of Plagues. WuW are also an amazing band, I'd definitely recommend to check them out! Haven't heard much from Stuka Squadron and Valbory, but no doubt I'll have a listen before I see them.

There was a very diverse line-up at the last Siege, with everything from doom to death, to tech and hardcore, and dubstep metal. I'm surprised nothing was to your taste. :P What metal would you be into yourself?

To be honest the siege isn't the most diverse, but I do enjoy the bands while I'm there it's just there's a lot growling/screamo stuff to be honest and while I'm not saying the bands are bad I just prefer fast bands whose lyrics I can actually understand. Censura were very good and so we're shirrocco I think there name was and at the stables last year twisted wrath were also quite good those bands stood out to me the most!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Jaysus lads, how 'diverse' do ye want it? To have Valborg and Seadog playing on the same day says a lot, really. There's a fairly gaping range within the realms of rock/metal on, and it's been that way for the last 3 years.

templarkight, from the sounds of your tastes you'd enjoy Stuka Squadron on that bill. not my thing, but they sound a bit like 2000s-era Maiden.

The events keep getting bigger and better, while staying free. Cheap pints, serious talent, and a deadly venue. Can't ask for more!

As regards the impact on the Irish scene, I don't really have a clue...impact is probably the wrong word. But there are always heads from Cork, Galway, Dublin, Tipp, Clare, and further afield at it, and always seems to be a great buzz. Make of that what ye will.

I love going there regardless as long as I get to Headbang, drink bavaria, listen to some heavy fu*kin metal, and chat to some
    Nice goth women it's all good :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    The events keep getting bigger and better, while staying free. Cheap pints, serious talent, and a deadly venue. Can't ask for more!w

This talent you speak of.......... Are you referring to the music or the wimmins??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mazzy maz

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, how 'diverse' do ye want it? To have Valborg and Seadog playing on the same day says a lot, really. There's a fairly gaping range within the realms of rock/metal on, and it's been that way for the last 3 years.

The old diversity "chestnut". Ignorance is bliss, wha? haha

Can't wait for this, Altar Of Plagues are deadly and what I've heard of Valborg is fantastic. Would be a fan of OFAC and Seadog as well.

ZOM are playing in The Blind Pig Friday week if you're about Aaaron, gonna be deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

@frag420 - the women. Dont know where they come out of for these things..

@Maz : Yep I'll definitely be down!

• Advertisement

From The Bogs of Aughiska, Wizards of Firetop Mountain and Rites added :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

frag420 wrote: »
    This talent you speak of.......... Are you referring to the music or the wimmins??

thought I read there he said the women were getting bigger and better :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

Line-up is complete!
    396314_359019087442292_100000026117194_1527643_438259882_n.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Hoping to make a trip down to this meself! \o/

There's 8 or 9 in that final line-up i'm excited to see, so no excuse now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not about this version of Siege of Limerick, but saw a lad wandering round Dundrum with a Siege of Limerick V t-shirt on today. Thought that was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vinomonom

Is this an over 18s only gig?

Ya, sorry buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I go every year to this so It wouldn't have really changed my mind as such but I'm delighted Twisted Wrath have been announced again! :pac:
    They were the best band at it by far when it was on in the stables. And their last gig in Limerick got cancelled :mad:

yurt :cool:

• Advertisement

A bit of an announcement from Bad Reputation (organisers of this event).
    Get in contact with them on their Facebook page if you want to put your name down for the bus. Cheers.
    Some info for those travelling to the Siege next month.

Travel from Dublin-
    We WILL be running a bus from Dublin this time. It will depart from Into The Void early on Sunday and will return in the wee hours of Monday morning. Tickets are provisionally €20, and we are taking names as of ... now. We will have full info on this within the week.

Other options from dublin are:

Irish Rail
    www.Irishrail.ie
    - At the momnet they have some good deals with students other than that it's a bit on the pricey side.

Dublincoch
    www.dublincoach.ie
    - We recommend this one. It's a tenner each way and unlike Bus Eireann doesn't stop in every small town on route, gets you to Limerick in 2 hours and 45 minutes. Pick up is Westmoreland street.

JJKavanagh
    www.jjkavanagh.ie
    These guys are 20quid return to dublin and run late buses too and fro. This bus picks up in Dublin opposite Eden Quay.

Bus Eireann
    buseireann.ie

Travel from Cork & Galway:

www.buseireann.ie
    www.citylink.ie
    www.irishrail.ie

For anyone driving there is three near by carparks within ten minutes walk.

Again this time round, we'll be leaving everyone who cycles in for free to the Siege this year.

Some of you might already be aware but the Siege is clashing with the Munster Vs Ulster rugby quarter final. This means two things traffic is going to be chaotic in the early afternoon around Limerick, and hotels are filling up rapidly. Dolans venue is on the other side of the city to Thomond Park so it shouldn't be too much hassle. We had a quick look at this hotels price issue (for those of you who were not sorted for one yet) and ya prices have gone up due to the match, and a good deal of the more reasonable ones are full now. Travelodge still has triple rooms at 37 per head around. www.travelodge.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

I'll go ahead and get my arse down, last Siege was a right laugh!

Stuka squadron, Trenches :( and Fragments :( out. Sirocco and Psykosis :D in.

Gonna be landin' down about half 2. Big breakfast in order.

Bwwwwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Can't make this so I'm going to have to avail of the Pre-Siege gig in the pint (Dublin). 7e in for Zom, Would Upon Wound, Thrashcanned, Valborg and Sodb.

Are Valborg any good?

Are Valborg any good?

Check out a few youtube vids?

That's awfully Doomy stuff

That's awfully Doomy stuff

According to this "progressive doom/death". These genres!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Valborg/41053

• Advertisement

siegeviirunningorder2.jpg

Advertisement