Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

gurramok wrote: »
    " fire and emergency services; maintenance and cleaning of streets; planning and development; public parks; street lighting; libraries; open spaces and leisure amenities."

Fire/emergency currently charge for callouts etc.

Maintenance/cleaning of streets - how was it being paid for already?

Public Parks - ditto.

Libraries - ditto.

open spaces/leisure amenities

ditto/what are these 'leisure amenities'

The reality is that we're being asked to pay back banking debt indirectly. The money which should be paying for the above "services":rolleyes:is being used for the loans due, with the rest of us expected to cough up for the "services" and the bloated Public Sector wage bill, the ridiculously generous SW bill, etc.

For all the posturing of those on this thread who claim otherwise, this is the very sad reality. And all being driven by a "Labour" party. FFS.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

"If registrations continue to increase at 25% per week, then a quarter of all householders will have paid by the deadline date, and more than half by the end of April."
    March 31st is the deadline - so have they indicated that they will accept payment after that? Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Here's today's funnie.............. Noonan's reward for intricate and tough negotiations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oQ_0QZmItg&feature=player_embedded

paddy147 wrote: »
    Vincent Brown and his guests took the absolute pi55 out of the Fine Gael Minister last night over this.

She was made a laughing stock by Brown and Mick Wallace over the company going tits up and the leaflet/household charge fiasco.

Brown asked yer woman if the Fine Gael backbench TDs were all going to leg it over to the opposition side now.

She didnt know what to say.

The laughable thing is the title "household" charge, but 160,000 council "households" are exempt. Only in Ireland.......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

paddy147 wrote: »
    She was made a laughing stock by Brown and Mick Wallace over the company going tits up and the leaflet/household charge fiasco.
    What was Mick Wallace' take on a company going tits up?

blowtorch wrote: »
    March 31st is the deadline - so have they indicated that they will accept payment after that? Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.
    We have enough people already contributing to this thread that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Only in Ireland.......:rolleyes:
    I think you'll find that property taxes are very common throughout the developed world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Do we have to search through all your post history too? Relevant material here which is off topic,http://siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/21695-radical-copyright-law-refor This has nothing to do with the household charge.

Search away.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭jack67

dvpower wrote: »
    We have enough people already contributing to this thread that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

are you one of them?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 haggis10000

Has anyone received any official notification via An Post from the revenue or any other governement department addressed to them individually or the householder to the effect they are liable for the household charge? maybe explaining the rationale behind it and the details of liability under the law/ reg's. I'd be interested to read if you have?

jack67 wrote: »
    are you one of them?:D
    Touché

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Do we have to search through all your post history too? Relevant material here which is off topic,http://siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/21695-radical-copyright-law-refor This has nothing to do with the household charge.

I responded with tax related posts to show some other tax related laws are not liked by the no side.

:rolleyes:

Yeah you did a search for tax related posts. You didn't read and understand them either. May as well have posted random posts from my history because I've no idea what point you were trying to make.

Your reaction says it all though.

I don't have to pay this charge so no skin off my nose! I'll spend my e100 in the pub :D

Has anyone received any official notification via An Post from the revenue or any other governement department addressed to them individually or the householder to the effect they are liable for the household charge? maybe explaining the rationale behind it and the details of liability under the law/ reg's. I'd be interested to read if you have?
    afaik they haven't written to anyone personally. Some information is on the leaflet you may or may not have received. The is also a faq on the website.

Touché

i take it ,thats a yes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

afaik they haven't written to anyone personally. Some information is on the leaflet you may or may not have received. The is also a faq on the website.

There seems to be one FAQ that they "forgot" to list.
    Will this Unjust Tax rise every year ? Now I wonder why they left that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Well there is no plan is there.

Introduce a major new tax which will affect millions for generations to come. No planning needed obviously.

The gullible will lap it up.

yea cant figure that one out myself:rolleyes:

Do you know of any other tax or charge where they tell you about the future rates?

I wish I could know what the PAYE tax bands are going to be next year, but I don't expect to have that information until the budget.

Do you know of any other tax or charge where they tell you about the future rates?

I wish I could know what the PAYE tax bands are going to be next year, but I don't expect to have that information until the budget.

I just wondered if it will rise, didn't mention rates :rolleyes:

mconigol wrote: »
    Well there is no plan is there.
    The plan for an increase in the charge next year is in the MOU. The plan to migrate this charge to a Property Tax is also stated Government policy.

Of all of the various taxes and charges that we pay, the roadmap for this one is quite clear.

i thought this was about the unjust tax,not paye tax bands:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I just wondered if it will rise, didn't mention rates :rolleyes:
    There are 5000 posts in this thread and you are still wondering if its going to rise next year.
    Slow learner? :rolleyes:

i thought this was about the unjust tax,not paye tax bands:rolleyes:
    Welcome to the thread - there's everything and the kitchen sink in here.

There are 5000 posts in this thread and you are still wondering if its going to rise next year.

We all know it will rise and rise and for that very reason F.G. deliberately omitted the question :D
    Sly people that they are.

ah not to worry,it will only rise for those who are willing to pay.

We all know it will rise and rise and for that very reason F.G. deliberately omitted the question :D

If we all already know that its going to rise and rise then its hardly needed in a faq :confused:(apart perhaps for some people who know but, inexplicably, still ask)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

ah not to worry,it will only rise for those who are willing to pay.

The charge against your property will continue to rise, as will the interest and late penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

They left it out because it's not going to rise every year as it will be replaced by the property tax which they did mention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

mconigol wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Yeah you did a search for tax related posts. You didn't read and understand them either. May as well have posted random posts from my history because I've no idea what point you were trying to make.

Your reaction says it all though.

I don't have to pay this charge so no skin off my nose! I'll spend my e100 in the pub :D

Its quite sad you had to go back 10 years searching 11,000 posts though
    (spending 100quid in the pub does that:D), quite revealing to see your position on that other forthcoming charge :P

I'm curious from the no side, why are they afraid of the property tax, do they have many large trophy homes or something?

I think you'll find that property taxes are very common throughout the developed world.

Doesn't make them right. Penalising people for buying their own home (at no cost to the state) in order to fund privately-owed debt and a bloated Public Sector wage bill? No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

donalg1 wrote: »
    They left it out because it's not going to rise every year as it will be replaced by the property tax which they did mention

They left it out because they dont want to have people reading that it will increase drasticly. Next year will likely still be the household charge, but also likely it wont stay at €100.

Household charge = property tax.
    Property tax = household charge re-badged and hugely increased.

As has been seen in this thread, €100 is seen as a low charge. Thats exactly why the government started at that level. Entice people to register for this "paltry charge".

It is working, as many see it as a paltry charge, and ask whats the problem. And others, bafflingly, see it as a seperate item, with no link to the property charge, when the only difference is in name.

Our government know there are plenty of fools and how to fool them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement