Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relocating/installing mmds dish

Options
  • 10-04-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Anyone know if it would be difficult to install an mmds dish myself. I am moving house but dont want chourus/upc tech involved. What direction does it need to be pointed at etc. i have dish but would consider taking it down myself or buying a new one altogether.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

adrian7444 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it would be difficult to install an mmds dish myself. I am moving house but dont want chourus/upc tech involved. What direction does it need to be pointed at etc. i have dish but would consider taking it down myself or buying a new one altogether.

I would think you'll have to get UPC to do it, they'll know which transmitter the aerial has to be pointed at and the polarisation or even if there is coverage at your new location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Pastor Toastman

i have dish but would consider taking it down myself or buying a new one altogether.

Cable TV equipment isn't your property to do anything with, even the "wireless" version.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 adrian7444

Cable TV equipment isn't your property to do anything with, even the "wireless" version.

If you haven't anything positive to add then pi** off and mind your own c***ing business. I own the dish I paid for it privately from satellite.ie. chorus only provide service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

If you haven't anything positive to add then pi** off and mind your own c***ing business. I own the dish I paid for it privately from satellite.ie. chorus only provide service.

ARe you sure it's MMDS equipment?

Why wouldn't you get Chorus/UPC to do it? Means that it will be aligned correctly etc. You clearly don't how to do it so you will probably spend more of your time doing the task than a Chorus/UPC tech would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You don't own anything if its chorus.
    It isn't chorus if you bought it off satellite.ie!

• Advertisement

satellitetv.ie continue to MMDS aerials, according to the site they have 65 in stock with price reduced to €39. I wonder if they'll shift them by the 18th April 2016 when MMDS licences expire.
    If UPC didn't supply the aerial they certainly supplied the STB.

https://www.satellitetv.ie/mmds_tv_aerial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Pastor Toastman

"DIY MMDS" What would UPC make of that?

"DIY MMDS" What would UPC make of that?

I wonder who supplied the STB, it could explain why the OP doesn't want a UPC technician out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's seriously unlikely, unless it's not MMDS.

But MMDS may end in about 18 months. Get Satellite + Saorview. MMDS is in terminal decline. Or ask UPC nicely and see if they are interested when there is such a short life for MMDS service now and they can't sell phone & broadband on it.

The MMDS aerials are also used for outdoor WiFi links. Perhaps that's why Satellite.ie sells them.

If it's not an UPC supplied box and subscription it's "Theft of Service". Technically, you could use your own MMDS dish, but UPC supply them anyway if you subscribe. Comes with Set box unless the house has one already.

If it's a UPC service they will move for a minimal charge, assuming they are doing any new MMDS installs still.

watty wrote: »
    The MMDS aerials are also used for outdoor WiFi links. Perhaps that's why Satellite.ie sells them.

It's satellitetv.ie that sells them, not satellite.ie - different retailer.

They don't mention a thing about wifi in relation to the aerial
    MMDS Aerial

This MMDS Mesh Aerial has a gain of 24db and is suitable for anywhere in Ireland.

MMDS square TV aerial, approved by UPC / Chorus, do you need a new MMDS aerial and want to avoid the cost of calling out an installer, why not do it yourself with our DIY MMDS aerial. It is 51cm by 51cm and comes complete with pole mounting and down converter atachments. Down Converter must be purchased separately.

We also have MMDS Power Supplies for sale

https://www.satellitetv.ie/mmds_tv_aerial

• Advertisement
Advertisement