Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scrapping my car

Options
  • 11-11-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,

I have a 2001 Fiat Punto, which has served me well since 2005, but it's on death's door, I've not been using it for quite a while and therefore it's time for me to get rid.

It doesn't have NCT nor is it taxed in quite a while. It also has numerous issues. Therefore it's not worth selling.

I am therefore looking to scrap the car, but as I've never scrapped a car before, I've no idea what sort of price I should be looking to expect to receive for it (if any), nor do I know where I should go to scrap the car.

Can I ask for your advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google local "end of life" facility or "car recycling".
    They often pick car up for at no cost.
    Make sure to get a certificate that car has gone to car heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A scrap yard might give you a €120 to €150 for it but may charge a fee for collecting it. Give a few local ones a ring for a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I scrapped a similar car recently. Got €98 a ton from breakers. So you'd be looking around 100 quid give or take.

If the car has only mechanical problems you'd probably get more than €100 for it by selling it on adverts/donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nOddyseus

Thanks for your responses guys.
    samih wrote: »
    If the car has only mechanical problems you'd probably get more than €100 for it by selling it on adverts/donedeal.

Even without car tax and without an NCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Put it up on donedeal with a list of the issues, ask for 450, take 350.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I would have said donedeal it for about €300

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I contacted www.traynors.co.uk ( They are up the North )they quoted me in Sterling they came down south and collected my car and the guy paid me a much better rate than quoted down south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

did they give you a cert of destruction or export papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Why do you need it ? I did not ask for one but I'm sure if you asked for it they would Issue one.
    I had a Merc and a Open and I got £650 for them.

because otherwise it's still registered in your name and they could (Probably won't) use the id to ring another vehicle and you get the fines....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

SCOL wrote: »
    Why do you need it ? I did not ask for one but I'm sure if you asked for it they would Issue one.
    I had a Merc and a Open and I got £650 for them.

So that the Department of Transport in Shannon can record the car as scraped and it is no longer registered to the current owner. This will also prevent the registration being cloned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nOddyseus

padma wrote: »
    Put it up on donedeal with a list of the issues, ask for 450, take 350.
    dgt wrote: »
    I would have said donedeal it for about €300

The only problem about putting it up on donedeal would be that I'd probably have to declare the car off the road, which I haven't done... right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

nOddyseus wrote: »
    The only problem about putting it up on donedeal would be that I'd probably have to declare the car off the road, which I haven't done... right?

Once it is sold it won't matter, the new owner will start from the 1st of the month it was sold on. If your gonna be waiting to sell it, now would be a good time to get a declaration of non use. No big deal really.

not necessary to do a SORD if you aren't ever going to tax it yourself again. It dies on sale even if you did and new owner would need to do another one (or tax it)

Advertisement