Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will be in Ballina on March 3/4 - where to fish for a Springer ?

• 24-02-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Hello all

Going on an overdue road trip to the north mostly sightseeing from 3rd to 6th of March. I will be in Ballina certainly on 4th in the morning. I will certainly try to fish the Moy for a couple of hours.

I know it's a bit early and I don't think the fly will be any good but I will have a spinning rod and reliable salmon spinners and Flying C.

the question is, where is my best bet to have a chance ? i'm sure it all depends on weather conditions and water levels but i'm hoping to get some local knowledge advise on here.

I am most respectful of the grounds and the etiquette so if you tell me to jump fences and hide behind edges without being seen that probably won't be my cup of tea but if a local is kind enough to give me a bit of guidance that will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

In March? They won't be upriver.
    Ballina AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

As Coolwings said, this is still quite early in the year for the Moy.

Early fish are caught at Ballina by anglers fishing worm at the back of the boxes in the down.
    Very much a game of attrition as chucking out a ball of worms with a big weight and hoping a fish passes. Not the most aesthetically pleasing or stimulating as most angling here is centred in the one 20m stretch.

Personally, I would try East Mayo Anglers who have 8 miles of good water between Swinford and Foxford.
    The early running fish tend to run the full length of the river until they get to here and then start to lie up, similarly with Clongee (the fishery downstream of this).
    At this time of year the chance of a fish is slim, but at least you can explore and fish a much nicer stretch of water at a reasonable price..... with a sporting chance of meeting a fresh fish.

P.M. me if you want more indepth info, I might even be around when you visit and could show you a few spots.
    *** I am not a Ghillie nor am I touting for any business... just being nice !!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

your best bet would be clongee below the joinings this time of year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Very early. You'd want to be there for April earliest enough being realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fisherking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Finally decided not to fish but visited ballina. Nice little town. The only fisher I saw on the ridge pool was a young seal. Will be back for sure !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Got a letter in the post today telling me I got a date on the ridge pool and cathedral beat in April. I applied last year for last year, but got this letter out of no where! ONly problem is, im feckin working on the two days that I was given! Raging, I definitely would have went down! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

The moy only really starts to fish in may

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

thehamo wrote: »
    Got a letter in the post today telling me I got a date on the ridge pool and cathedral beat in April. I applied last year for last year, but got this letter out of no where! ONly problem is, im feckin working on the two days that I was given! Raging, I definitely would have went down! :mad:

April :eek:

I thought the earliest they used to book dates in was from May.
    Fishing is free on the ridge pool until the first fish is caught.

Is this another effort at making money. I don't know what the price of the fishing is on the moy fishery is these days but when the economy started going down their prices kept going up. Thats when I stopped going.

Rip off, booking dates for people in April. They've some neck.

First salmon on the ridge pool was landed on these dates over the last few years. Cathedral is normally soon after.
    2011 - 28th April
    2010 - 26th April
    2009 - 20th April
    2008 - 7th May
    2007 - 20th April
    2006 - 3rd May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Wasnt there not a springer caught a few weeks back anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

First fish is caught at the back of the boxes (ballina salmon anglers) almost every year roughly around this time of year.
    Combat fishing at it's best, there's a stretch of about 20 yards between the new bridge and the weir. There's a hole called the table, a flat recess above the weir where the salmon will rest for a moment before running the river.
    There could be a dozen bunches of worms in the hole at one time.

Different world to the fishing 50 yards down river.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Hello all

Going on an overdue road trip to the north mostly sightseeing from 3rd to 6th of March. I will be in Ballina certainly on 4th in the morning. I will certainly try to fish the Moy for a couple of hours.

I know it's a bit early and I don't think the fly will be any good but I will have a spinning rod and reliable salmon spinners and Flying C.

the question is, where is my best bet to have a chance ? i'm sure it all depends on weather conditions and water levels but i'm hoping to get some local knowledge advise on here.

I am most respectful of the grounds and the etiquette so if you tell me to jump fences and hide behind edges without being seen that probably won't be my cup of tea but if a local is kind enough to give me a bit of guidance that will be greatly appreciated.

Contact the local Fishery Office and ask for a free day in the Ridge pool..

first fish not caught in the Ridgepool yet, so they usually allow free fishing

in the Ridgepool......but permission must be obtained in advance....

phone...096 21332.......watch your footing can be slippery underfoot.

Advertisement