Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

why do people spend so much

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

cocker5 wrote: »
    I am sorry but that has to be the stupidest reason for putting your dog back on crap food.... utter nonsense.

Crap food leads to ill health end of story.... if telling yourself the above sh*te makes you feel better than fine... but dont try and convince other posters... cant believe you actually wrote that crap. :confused:

that has to be the rudest post on this thread:confused:

whats wrong with Aldi food??

would you eat Aldi 'Human' food????

found their complete dog food to be ok for my old boxer.
    its like a lot of things in life - some of us do well on certain foods and other don't, but the problems don't show up until middle age. And then it's too late to go back and change it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

thebullkf wrote: »
    that has to be the rudest post on this thread:confused:

whats wrong with Aldi food??

would you eat Aldi 'Human' food????

found their complete dog food to be ok for my old boxer.
    its like a lot of things in life - some of us do well on certain foods and other don't, but the problems don't show up until middle age. And then it's too late to go back and change it

Originally Posted by Rabbitandcavy viewpost.gif
    We feed our dogs Aldi food; when our Dog was overweight (our fault for fattening scraps) they got us to buy Burn's High Oats and feed that to her, her farts were awful and she just generally looked bad on it. So we put her back on the Aldi food and she looks much better and no smelly farts, plus the weight is falling off her. We just had to cut out all the fattening scraps.

Its irrelevant if i would eat Aldi food or not... but no wouldnt eat meat from aldi... i think thier storage / fridges are insufficent etc.. but thats just how i feel..

when you say they... i am assuming you mean the vet?? a professional, person? If so a professional told you to feed your dog Burns... as you didnt like the farts and said he looked bad you made the decision to change his food?? cannot believe what i am reading.... :eek:

As MANY posters have said on here before, its makes NO diffrence what your dog looks like (ie health is within) but you choose to chnage his food after a PROFESSIONAL advised you otherwise?? its takes months for health to been seen through change of food... the dog is on weight loos food... to help his cost you should have added tuna etc....

Im not surprised the weight is falling off.... the food has NO NUTRITIONAL value..... so of course the weight will fall off... cheap food is cheap for a reason.... you pay for what you get in most cases....

and you say problems dont show until middle age and them its too late???
    what are you taking about?? when you are feeding your dog, you should want to feed him good food so can be healthy most of his life.... not the attitude ah well.. sure when he's 7 years old it will be too late to change...

you can dress it up anyway... crap food leads to ill health... humans or dogs its all the same .... if you eat poorly during your life you willl have poor health later in life :mad:

Originally Posted by Rabbitandcavy viewpost.gif
    We feed our dogs Aldi food; when our Dog was overweight (our fault for fattening scraps) they got us to buy Burn's High Oats and feed that to her, her farts were awful and she just generally looked bad on it. So we put her back on the Aldi food and she looks much better and no smelly farts, plus the weight is falling off her. We just had to cut out all the fattening scraps.

Its irrelevant if i would eat Aldi food or not... but no wouldnt eat meat from aldi... i think thier storage / fridges are insufficent etc..--pffftttt but thats just how i feel..-

bullsh1t---you're a snob.

you associate aldi with inferior goods cos its cheaper.:rolleyes:

f

when you say they... i am assuming you mean the vet?? a professional, person? If so a professional told you to feed your dog Burns... as you didnt like the farts and said he looked bad you made the decision to change his food?? cannot believe what i am reading.... :eek:

As MANY posters have said on here before, its makes NO diffrence what your dog looks like (ie health is within) but you choose to chnage his food after a PROFESSIONAL advised you otherwise?? its takes months for health to been seen through change of food... the dog is on weight loos food... to help his cost you should have added tuna etc....

Im not surprised the weight is falling off.... the food has NO NUTRITIONAL----{back that up please?????} value..... so of course the weight will fall off... cheap food is cheap for a reason.... you pay for what you get in most cases....

and you say problems dont show until middle age and them its too late??? see bold italics below....thats what i meant.....not see brackets below

what are you taking about?? when you are feeding your dog, you should want to feed him good food so can be healthy most of his life....{ not the attitude ah well.. sure when he's 7 years old it will be too late to change... }

you can dress it up anyway... crap food leads to ill health... humans or dogs its all the same .... if you eat poorly during your life you willl have poor health later in life :mad:

sweet lord

:confused:
    [/I][/B]

sweet lord

your use of bad language and name calling shows your level ... :eek:

Couldnt really care what you call me... facts are facts...

bad food (cheap and yes cheap food is cheap for a reason) ...
    leads to bad health...

If just because i dont like Aldi food and dont shop there...means I'm a snob... then thats fine... I'm not really that bothered.... :D

based on what you are saying then, people who shop in Adli are lower class?? get a grip!

Cope on to yourself... grow up.... cheap food, cheap ingredients, is bad for health :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Cheap food isn't neccessarily unhealthy, and expensive food isn't neccessarily healthy. :confused: I eat really cheaply and really healthily. Processed food is expensive. Rice and veggies, they're cheap.

• Advertisement

:confused:

your use of bad language and name calling shows your level ... :eek:

Couldnt really care what you call me... facts are facts...

bad food (cheap and yes cheap food is cheap for a reason) ...
    leads to bad health...

If just because i dont like Aldi food and dont shop there...means I'm a snob... then thats fine... I'm not really that bothered.... :D

based on what you are saying then, people who shop in Adli are lower class?? get a grip!

Cope on to yourself... grow up.... cheap food, cheap ingredients, is bad for health :confused:

WTF are you sh1ting about????

you refuse to buy Aldi food.

you haven't verified that the food is "crap" as you said.

lower class?????---never once mentioned class you did....

cheap equal poorer quality .

the same way that Expensive food equal better quality just by virtue of its price.

the same products are sold in many shops at vastly different prices.....does that mean, therefore that that particular product is bad for you because its cheaper?????

you're either a complete and utter snob,

or

Deluded.

i'm sure people on this forum will agree.

dearer always equal better.

now thats a fact:rolleyes::rolleyes:

WTF are you sh1ting about????

you refuse to buy Aldi food.

you haven't verified that the food is "crap" as you said.

lower class?????---never once mentioned class you did....

cheap equal poorer quality .

the same way that Expensive food equal better quality just by virtue of its price.

the same products are sold in many shops at vastly different prices.....does that mean, therefore that that particular product is bad for you because its cheaper?????

you're either a complete and utter snob,

or

Deluded.

i'm sure people on this forum will agree.

dearer always equal better.

now thats a fact:rolleyes::rolleyes:

never said i refuse to buy adli... i said i wouldnt... there's a difference.. ;)

you obsivously have no life with all your "Bold", crossing, underlining etc...
    maybe this is your career.... using boards every 20 mins...

by the way... you did mention class by calling me a snob, this obsivously really upsets you that i dont shop in Aldi... well dont stress out too much... you dont have to pay for my groceries or my dog food...:D

Shop where you like... its your choice... just like its my choice :p

morganafay wrote: »
    Cheap food isn't neccessarily unhealthy, and expensive food isn't neccessarily healthy. :confused: I eat really cheaply and really healthily. Processed food is expensive. Rice and veggies, they're cheap.

i agree with you.... :D

but im talking about cheap dog food not veggies etc... buy yes with regard to fruit and veg i agree!

:rolleyes:
    never said i refuse to buy adli... i said i wouldnt... there's a difference.. ;)

you obsivously have no life with all your "Bold", crossing, underlining etc...
    maybe this is your career.... using boards every 20 mins...

by the way... you did mention class by calling me a snob, this obsivously really upsets you that i dont shop in Aldi... well dont stress out too much... you dont have to pay for my groceries or my dog food...:D

Shop where you like... its your choice... just like its my choice :p

i have e-mail alerts *cough*

and a life.....

shame you're not more self critical.

i don't care where you shop.

truly, i don't.

i care about flippant remarks and outrageous statments
    like:

the food has NO NUTRITIONAL value....

people who shop in Adli are lower class.....

your words...not mine.

btw....whats wrong with boards???....methinks you have a problem wiith people tearing your utter b0llock$ talk apart.

nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Guys COP ON .... agree to disagree or take it to PM -- or I will start banning.

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    Guys COP ON .... agree to disagree or take it to PM -- or I will start banning.

couldnt agree more..

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Just a little story about cheap V expensive products. I bought an expensive brand of paint for a room in my house as it promised to do X,Y &Z and I felt v.justifed in paying top dollar for it. Anyway a year or so down the line I wanted to do some touch ups but the small bit I had left had dried out so off I went to buy some more but B&Q were out so I went to the brands warehouse direct and they said they didn't make it anymore and asked where I got it, I said B&Q, they said tried the B&Q own brand, when I asked if it would match up I was told that B&Q often buy the good brands and repackage it in their own brand containers. So off I went to B&Q and bought their own brand in the colour I wanted and sure enough it was the same paint.
    My point being paying more money doesn't always ensure you get the best, if a cheaper food gives you good results then you shouldn't be guilted into paying more. I firmly believe a cheaper food supplemented with fresh meat, fish, eggs and oil can hold its own against any of those dearer brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Here's the ingredients of the Aldi dog food - each to their own of course but personally I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - not when you consider the miniscule meat content and the animal and vegetable "derivatives." :eek: Nor do they specify where exactly they get the "oils and fats." Plus many EU-permitted additives in pet foods are known carcinogens or banned for human consumption. It worries me that they don't even list what the additives are! :confused:

Here's the list of ingredients: Cereals, meat and animal derivatives (chicken 4 % minimum in the moist meaty chunk biscuit with chicken) derivatives of vegetable origin. Oils and fats. Vegetable protein extracts. Vegetables (4 % in the green kibble) Minerals with antioxidant. EU Additives. Coloured & Preserved with EU Additives.

Contrast this with the ingredients list for the food I feed my dogs:

Brown and pearl rice, chicken from battery-free hens, oats, chicken fat, green beans, carrots, spinach, sunflower oil, seaweed, sage, oregano, green tea, parsley, chicory, vitamins and minerals.

lrushe wrote: »
    My point being paying more money doesn't always ensure you get the best, if a cheaper food gives you good results then you shouldn't be guilted into paying more. I firmly believe a cheaper food supplemented with fresh meat, fish, eggs and oil can hold its own against any of those dearer brands.

Exactly, if you supplement it a bit, with healthy food, then I think it's pretty good. (Not ideal, but not too bad.) It's like a person who might eat really healthily, but have a few ready meals or bags of crisps or whatever. They're not going to be really unhealthy because of that, most people do it.

I'd love to know if everyone who feeds expensive dog food eats really really healthily themselves. Because I know people who don't. I guess it's just easier to get the dog to eat healthily. But I do know someone who will say how cheap dog food is "muck" but will eat anything herself.

i agree with you.... :D

but im talking about cheap dog food not veggies etc... buy yes with regard to fruit and veg i agree!

I was thinking that, if human healthy food can be cheap (you can also get cheaper cuts of meat, etc.) then maybe dog food can be too.

Like how pedigree chum is more expensive than Lidl/Aldi dog food, but is it better?

And is Royal Canin better than Burns, etc.

Or if you feed a dog cheaply on healthy scraps (that are nutritionally balanced), that could be healthier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

When I did puppy walking for Irish Guide Dogs they used Pedigree- surely they wouldn't want to harm their animals?

Just to let you know Guide Dogs did feed Pedigree Chum when they made a higher quality food but this has changed and the line of food has been taken off the market. Guide Dogs are now all fed Royal Canin or occassionally Burns depending on the dog :)

I strongly believe you are what you eat, and so is your dog.

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Just to let you know Guide Dogs did feed Pedigree Chum when they made a higher quality food but this has changed and the line of food has been taken off the market. Guide Dogs are now all fed Royal Canin or occassionally Burns depending on the dog :)

I strongly believe you are what you eat, and so is your dog.

Excellent post.. very true :D

boomerang wrote: »
    Here's the ingredients of the Aldi dog food - each to their own of course but personally I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - not when you consider the miniscule meat content and the animal and vegetable "derivatives." :eek: Nor do they specify where exactly they get the "oils and fats." Plus many EU-permitted additives in pet foods are known carcinogens or banned for human consumption. It worries me that they don't even list what the additives are! :confused:

Here's the list of ingredients: Cereals, meat and animal derivatives (chicken 4 % minimum in the moist meaty chunk biscuit with chicken) derivatives of vegetable origin. Oils and fats. Vegetable protein extracts. Vegetables (4 % in the green kibble) Minerals with antioxidant. EU Additives. Coloured & Preserved with EU Additives.

Contrast this with the ingredients list for the food I feed my dogs:

Brown and pearl rice, chicken from battery-free hens, oats, chicken fat, green beans, carrots, spinach, sunflower oil, seaweed, sage, oregano, green tea, parsley, chicory, vitamins and minerals.

Thank you... you proved my point excatly...

although a certain poster wont agree with you not feeding you dog aldi dog food...
    so be prepared for an ear bashing, cursing and name calling from them i got it yesterday!

Great post! the facts speak for themselves!

morganafay wrote: »
    I was thinking that, if human healthy food can be cheap (you can also get cheaper cuts of meat, etc.) then maybe dog food can be too.

Like how pedigree chum is more expensive than Lidl/Aldi dog food, but is it better?

And is Royal Canin better than Burns, etc.

Or if you feed a dog cheaply on healthy scraps (that are nutritionally balanced), that could be healthier.

To be honest morganafay.... i wouldnt feed a dog pedigree chum or aldi dog food or any supermarket brand of dog food... they have very little nutritional value for the dog...

With regard to royal canin and burns... thats a very good question... both have good ingredients... so i would say for me personally.. i feed my dog burns.. i used to feed him royal canin, which was good.... but switched to burns for a change and it suits him ... so i would say oh the higher quality brands i would say they are all of a similar level... it just depends on which suits the dog etc... some are high in protein... some are not so high, it all depends ;)

Im sure fresh veg and rice and chicken (once per week) would be healthy for your dog!
    No onions - they are bad for dogs...

wouldnt cost the earth either... you can get rice and verg cheap enough...

To be honest morganafay.... i wouldnt feed a dog pedigree chum or aldi dog food or any supermarket brand of dog food... they have very little nutritional value for the dog...

With regard to royal canin and burns... thats a very good question... both have good ingredients... so i would say for me personally.. i feed my dog burns.. i used to feed him royal canin, which was good.... but switched to burns for a change and it suits him ... so i would say oh the higher quality brands i would say they are all of a similar level... it just depends on which suits the dog etc... some are high in protein... some are not so high, it all depends ;)

Im sure fresh veg and rice and chicken (once per week) would be healthy for your dog!
    No onions - they are bad for dogs...

wouldnt cost the earth either... you can get rice and verg cheap enough...

Yeah, that's what I meant, if Pedigree Chum is only as good as Aldi food, well Pedigree Chum is more expensive, so it kinda shows that the more expensive is not neccessarily better, it could be the same. And like I think Burns is a good bit cheaper than Royal Canin (just for example) but is probably about as good.

I'm sure they have nutritional value, but that isn't the same thing as being healthy, I agree. Maybe it'd be better to say they have lower quality nutrients. They probably have about the same amount of nutrients (maybe roughly the same percentage of fat, protein, carbs, etc.) as better food, but it's lower quality, so not as healthy.

I actually do give my dogs some healthy scraps/leftovers most days with their dry food. I only give them the healthy stuff though, and throw anything else away. Maybe that's partly why they're so healthy. I'll be glad when I can get them better food when I have the money, but for now at least they're very healthy dogs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

We feed our two dogs Aldi dog food and it seems to be agreeing with them. I buy the cheapest cuts and value brands for myself so I don't see anything wrong with buying a low cost dog food. Have had both of them at the vet and she didn't see anything wrong with their diet, other than to recommend that we feed one of them a bit more, which we did.

People have certain allergies or certain foods that don't agree with them and I'm sure it's the same for dogs so if your dog reacts better to a particular food then obviously that's what you're going to feed them. It doesn't mean all dogs require expensive foods though.

Advertisement