Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4K TV - H.265 v H.264

• 24-07-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just purchased a 55” 4K TV online for €1,400. When I hooked it up to Netflix I noted that I was unable to view any 4K content. Turns out the TV doesn’t have the required H.265/HEVC encoder and uses H.264/AVC its predecessor instead.

I have a number of queries for anyone who might be able to advise:

1. Is H.265 only related to improved compression of data for streaming?
    2. Are there going to be the same restrictions with 4K players and TV satellite services down the line?
    3. Is there any hardware out there that could upgrade the TV to H.265?
    4. Is it worth returning this TV and getting a H.265 one? I will have to pay a considerable amount to get the TV shipped pack to the supplier in France that is not covered under the returns policy.
    5. Finally, does anyone know where I could find any free 4K content for an LG TV??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

can't answer all your questions however

some 4k content here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5BF9E09ECEC8F88F

Am aware Panasonic (and I think forthcoming Philips) 4k tvs won't support Netflix 4k. See this article http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1398256699 which provides some insight
    See this list of known models that do support 4k netflix..
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

All that said, once 4k content becomes available on other sources (blu-ray.. whenever!) that should work - the current issue as I understand it that netflix choose to use a a particular codec (hevc) - I'm no expert though.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

They were selling off those first gen 4K Tv's at a much reduced price as they were released without any formal specification and now are
    If I was you I would be sending it back and purchasing an updated 4K TV. Does your model even have HDMI 2.0?
    What is the model that you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

The model was the LG 55LA965V.

Turns out that there is no 4K content that it can play at the mo, unlike Sony & Samsung who have released exclusive content for their TVs. Also, without the HEVC encoder it may never be able to play 4K in the future.

The question then was - could it truly be called a 4K TV on that basis? Granted it is an Ultra HD TV but it was sold as a 4K TV set. Thankfully the website where I bought it agreed with my argument and also to a full refund including the shipping costs. Dodged a bullet.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Tim76 wrote: »
    The model was the LG 55LA965V.

Turns out that there is no 4K content that it can play at the mo, unlike Sony & Samsung who have released exclusive content for their TVs. Also, without the HEVC encoder it may never be able to play 4K in the future.

The question then was - could it truly be called a 4K TV on that basis? Granted it is an Ultra HD TV but it was sold as a 4K TV set. Thankfully the website where I bought it agreed with my argument and also to a full refund including the shipping costs. Dodged a bullet.

Thats great news. Dont let that put you off 4K the 2014 model LG screens are getting great reviews and have 4K Netflix and also they have WebOs smart tv so deffo take a look. You totally dodged a bullet.

Advertisement