Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JC off topic '12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

SChique00 wrote: »
    Lol I did wonder :p I consider myself a bit of a movie buff but I don't get your name :eek:
    Wow! - I got a C in my mocks but sure I got an A in the real thing so I reckon my English teacher was really tough on us :P
    Hmm.... I do like Irish though it's not one of my stronger subjects - any are in particular you have trouble with?
    If anyone needs a hand with French, History or Business I'd also be glad to help - all my favourite subjects, but English would be my main forté ;) not Maths or Science though, haven't a clue when it comes to logical shizz :confused:
    I am indeed - sorry I did it at all but it's a compulsory year in our school so I didn't have much choice :( coolio! I miss the TY thread badly for the lullzzz :pac:
    * Ill take care of the logical shizz Sarah ;) :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Indiego wrote: »
    * Ill take care of the logical shizz Sarah ;) :L

Leia, you and I should set up an online tutoring team :cool: it would totally work! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

Lol I did wonder :p I consider myself a bit of a movie buff but I don't get your name :eek:
    Wow! - I got a C in my mocks but sure I got an A in the real thing so I reckon my English teacher was really tough on us :P
    Hmm.... I do like Irish though it's not one of my stronger subjects - any are in particular you have trouble with?
    If anyone needs a hand with French, History or Business I'd also be glad to help - all my favourite subjects, but English would be my main forté ;) not Maths or Science though, haven't a clue when it comes to logical shizz :confused:
    I am indeed - sorry I did it at all but it's a compulsory year in our school so I didn't have much choice :( coolio! I miss the TY thread badly for the lullzzz :pac:

You're welcome on the JC forum any time ya want! .. not that there's anyone stopping ya..

Yeah It's a tough name, you'd really need to know the movie first, and it's nothing obvious about the movie either..

The only subject I really need to work on is Irish, I'm grand with everything else... I got a C in the Business mocks, hopefully an A in June. I'm grand with the accounts, I just didn't bother to learn all the theory before the mocks.. my short Q's were atrocious! ....Did you find much of your grades improved from the mocks and if so how much study did you do each school night on top of HW..

Oh and welcome Indiego

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

so sickened in english :/ only 2 percent of an A :( suprised i got an a in paper 2 thought :P . thought i did brutal in it :D . then got 81 in paper one . Still good result .. but kinda sickened. Also really good result is because im dyslexic and i thought dyslexics were ****e at english :D

paddzdaman wrote: »
    so sickened in english :/ only 2 percent of an A :( suprised i got an a in paper 2 thought :P . thought i did brutal in it :D . then got 81 in paper one . Still good result .. but kinda sickened. Also really good result is because im dyslexic and i thought dyslexics were ****e at english :D

Don't dyslexic's not get docked marks for spelling..because there dyslexic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Don't dyslexic's not get docked marks for spelling..because there dyslexic?

^This

paddyzk wrote: »
    ^This

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

yeah but i pretty shamming at spelling :D Being Dyslexic is pretty shamming :P NO IRISH :D so handy ... espically because a load of people in my year were sh11t1ng it about the orals :D

You're welcome on the JC forum any time ya want! .. not that there's anyone stopping ya..

Yeah It's a tough name, you'd really need to know the movie first, and it's nothing obvious about the movie either..

The only subject I really need to work on is Irish, I'm grand with everything else... I got a C in the Business mocks, hopefully an A in June. I'm grand with the accounts, I just didn't bother to learn all the theory before the mocks.. my short Q's were atrocious! ....Did you find much of your grades improved from the mocks and if so how much study did you do each school night on top of HW..

Oh and welcome Indiego

Thank you! I was afraid I'd come across as a bit of a creeper haha :rolleyes: don't be afraid to ask me anything about the JC that you might be worried or curious about :)
    Is the trouble with Irish a case of you not understanding the stuff or just not studying enough? If you really don't understand it then you should consider grinds. I got grinds for Maths last year (it wasn't a case of my not working hard enough, I seriously needed them if I wanted to pass at HL :( ), and they were well worth the money. They really are a last resort - if you're just a little worried about specific topics on the paper, have a chat with your teacher and maybe they could give you some lessons after school, or revision notes? Teachers are always willing to listen to you if they know you're genuine :)
    Ugh Business was the only paper where I went down a grade - went from an A to a B and was really disappointed, but slightly less so when I found out that only one person in our year got an A :P I went up in everything else though - all I remember about the mocks was that I got 3 As (one in History, one in French and one in Business), but I ended up getting 6 As in the real exam :D
    After the mocks was when I really started to study after school and on weekends, but here's what the teachers and revision books won't tell you - as long as you've been doing all of your homework consistently since first year, and have held onto any notes the teachers gave you, then just look back over them and you'll be grand - it'll be more a case of mild revision than anything else. Go over your mock papers if you got them back, aim to do one full paper a week in each subject and give them to your teacher to correct, and most important of all, DON'T WORK TOO HARD. Please, PLEASE make sure you have enough downtime each day - I panicked and stressed and fretted because all I wanted was an A in English, and it got me nowhere; I would've gotten exactly the same results without the stress because I had worked consistently all along. :pac:
    WOW that was a long post :eek:

Sh*t.I use another forum,and that's the answer you give usually when you agree with people :o I feel like an idiot :pac:

• Advertisement

Thank you! I was afraid I'd come across as a bit of a creeper haha :rolleyes: don't be afraid to ask me anything about the JC that you might be worried or curious about :)
    Is the trouble with Irish a case of you not understanding the stuff or just not studying enough? If you really don't understand it then you should consider grinds. I got grinds for Maths last year (it wasn't a case of my not working hard enough, I seriously needed them if I wanted to pass at HL :( ), and they were well worth the money. They really are a last resort - if you're just a little worried about specific topics on the paper, have a chat with your teacher and maybe they could give you some lessons after school, or revision notes? Teachers are always willing to listen to you if they know you're genuine :)
    Ugh Business was the only paper where I went down a grade - went from an A to a B and was really disappointed, but slightly less so when I found out that only one person in our year got an A :P I went up in everything else though - all I remember about the mocks was that I got 3 As (one in History, one in French and one in Business), but I ended up getting 6 As in the real exam :D
    After the mocks was when I really started to study after school and on weekends, but here's what the teachers and revision books won't tell you - as long as you've been doing all of your homework consistently since first year, and have held onto any notes the teachers gave you, then just look back over them and you'll be grand - it'll be more a case of mild revision than anything else. Go over your mock papers if you got them back, aim to do one full paper a week in each subject and give them to your teacher to correct, and most important of all, DON'T WORK TOO HARD. Please, PLEASE make sure you have enough downtime each day - I panicked and stressed and fretted because all I wanted was an A in English, and it got me nowhere; I would've gotten exactly the same results without the stress because I had worked consistently all along. :pac:

How come??

..as for Irish I'm sure if I buckle down I'd be ok. Yeah Constant work from first year does help, I've noticed.

How come??

..as for Irish I'm sure if I buckle down I'd be ok. Yeah Constant work from first year does help, I've noticed.

Cos I'm a TY and I used to get p!ssed at the 5th years who'd post on the TY OT thread :p
    Don't sweat it, kid - which topics are you struggling with?
    It is the only way - the n00bs who say, "I'll study from September of 3rd year" are always the ones who procrastinate until the night before each exam where they cram the info in, but it doesn't stick because they don't have time to process it properly. Quality over quantity is always best, and it's far better to study a little bit over a long time frame than to go into overdrive a few days before the exams start. I used to think I didn't study enough because I'd always hear all the lazy people around me start to get panicky and talk about how many hours they planned to study each night, but I had nothing to worry about in the end because what I had done was more than enough. :) Not blowing mah own trumpet or anything, but yeah, I was a little nerd :pac:

Cos I'm a TY and I used to get p!ssed at the 5th years who'd post on the TY OT thread :p
    Don't sweat it, kid - which topics are you struggling with?
    It is the only way - the n00bs who say, "I'll study from September of 3rd year" are always the ones who procrastinate until the night before each exam where they cram the info in, but it doesn't stick because they don't have time to process it properly. Quality over quantity is always best, and it's far better to study a little bit over a long time frame than to go into overdrive a few days before the exams start. I used to think I didn't study enough because I'd always hear all the lazy people around me start to get panicky and talk about how many hours they planned to study each night, but I had nothing to worry about in the end because what I had done was more than enough. :) Not blowing mah own trumpet or anything, but yeah, I was a little nerd :pac:

I'm no kid :P .. and once a nerd, always a nerd.. no affense :P

I'm no kid :P .. and once a nerd, always a nerd.. no affense :P

True that - I can't wait for TY to hurry up and finish so I can get back into proper work :D

True that - I can't wait for TY to hurry up and finish so I can get back into proper work :D

haha, I can't wait for the summer so I can sit back and sleep in till 12... I can't hardly remember last Summer anymore :(

haha, I can't wait for the summer so I can sit back and sleep in till 12... I can't hardly remember last Summer anymore :(

I hate sleeping in but I love staying up late, bit of a lose lose situation :P

I hate sleeping

What planet are you from ?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I hate sleeping in

This all changes in college, or even 6th year!

What planet are you from ?:p

Not this one, anyway :p:D:pac:

Sleeping in is a gift from the gods.

• Advertisement

Sleeping in is a gift from the gods.

To me it depends on how late I've stayed up, If I go to bed reasonably early, I can't stay in bed at all.. however I do love sleeping in when I've stayed up late... I could never sleep in as a child and was always first up as I never went to bed late..

We're one of them now unfortunately.. the 'threadless' TY's XD

Suppose I should introduce maself, I'm Leia :') I technically should only be in 3rd year this year cos I'm young, so sure I fit right in here XD

But yeah, same goes as what SChique00 said, if anybody has any questions about anything feel free to ask, my specialities would be science and maths but I did alright in everything else too ^^

Slow Show wrote: »
    If anyone needs help with JC English PM me and I'll do my best - I asked for help with it last year and was very lucky to get great advice from another Boardsie - don't know if she's still knocking around, though :L just putting it out there! :)

That wasn't me, was it? :p

Into mod mode...: you can have this thread but be good, there is such a thing as going too off-topic (last year's thread was evidence of that). Godspeed.

*cough* Let's just forget about last years thread shall we? XD
    Quite funny to read back over a year later though :')

Suppose I should introduce maself, I'm Leia :') I technically should only be in 3rd year this year cos I'm young, so sure I fit right in here XD

But yeah, same goes as what SChique00 said, if anybody has any questions about anything feel free to ask, my specialities would be science and maths but I did alright in everything else too ^^

Sup Leia .. how do you pronounce that?? .. Were you moved up a year or did you start school early?

Sup Leia .. how do you pronounce that?? .. Were you moved up a year or did you start school early?

Lay-ah :) (not Lee-ah, I will hate anybody who calls me that eternally ^^')

I started school early, youngest in my year now, it sucks being half a year younger than everyone :'(

my specialities would be science and maths
    Hi Leia.I have a question :) How did you study for maths after the mocks ?I got 86% in the mock and i haven't done anything since then.Every time I open my exam papers to study I feel like I'm sort of wasting my time, as I could be studying my weaker subjects.Not really sure what to do

I started school early, youngest in my year now, it sucks being half a year younger than everyone :'(

My first guess would have been lee-ah.. awkward :P :P
    I think you should look at it differently, you've achieved just as much as they have, perhaps more... but you've done it at a younger age.
    Think of it this way.. Two Men..or women are millionaire's...one became a millionaire when they were 19, the other when they were 27, which would you rather be?

my specialities would be science and maths
    Hi Leia.I have a question :) How did you study for maths after the mocks ?I got 86% in the mock and i haven't done anything since then.Every time I open my exam papers to study I feel like I'm sort of wasting my time, as I could be studying my weaker subjects.Not really sure what to do

Firstly, well done for doing so well I'm the mocks! I found the mocks in maths the hardest because we hadn't gotten the course finished :L

I only did two things to study for maths, and i swear by them, and they got me an A :L
    All I did was pick a question (eq P1Q1) and do every single one of them I had, because as you do them you notice the trends in the questions, and get used to answering them :L by the time the exams had rolled around id done every exam paper twice XD And as for learning theorems, what I did was make mind maps, putting the name in the middle and putting the steps around it, made them really easy to remember :L

Don't fall into the trap of doing less work on good subjects, yes, put more focus on your worse subjects, but still spend time on maths, one of the tricks to maths is staying familiar with it, if you do one question a day just to keep the 'cogs' turning in your brain youll do yourself a huge favor in the exams :L

My first guess would have been lee-ah.. awkward :P :P

*shakes fist

It's a common misconception :L But now you know so don't make the mistake again, ill let you off this one time :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

I second that.

Balance between study and down-time is key.

Seriously, fretting and wearing yourself out from 'hours spent as a recluse studying in your room, (with blacked out windows), clad in fatigue' will get you nowhere...

Tóg go bog é!

Advertisement